Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TPG

Michael G.H.

I am interested in buying a computer from TPG. I was wondering whether any of
you folks have had experience with this company and would be able to tell me
about them. I would like a reliable computer with good tech support.

Thanks for any help

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Michael G.H. wrote:
> I am interested in buying a computer from TPG. I was wondering whether any of
> you folks have had experience with this company and would be able to tell me
> about them. I would like a reliable computer with good tech support.

they used to use cheaper brands of motherboards, but were otherwise as
good as any other PC company.

~misfit~

Michael G.H. wrote:
> I am interested in buying a computer from TPG. I was wondering
> whether any of you folks have had experience with this company and
> would be able to tell me about them. I would like a reliable
> computer with good tech support.

I bought a new 486DX2-66 off them in about '94 or so. It was fine, no
problems.
--
~misfit~

MarkH

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Michael G.H.) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am interested in buying a computer from TPG. I was wondering
> whether any of you folks have had experience with this company and
> would be able to tell me about them. I would like a reliable computer
> with good tech support.
>
> Thanks for any help

Hardware - Pretty standard stuff.

Support - 3yr onsite (parts and labour) warranty standard, better than
most.

Personally I prefer to build my own, I spend more and get less warranty,
but I get exactly what I want with good performance and reliability.

If you are going to buy a complete system, at least TPG use standard bit,
no proprietary stuff like HP Compaq, IBM, Dell, etc.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

-=rjh=-

Michael G.H. wrote:

> I am interested in buying a computer from TPG. I was wondering whether
> any of you folks have had experience with this company and would be able
> to tell me
> about them. I would like a reliable computer with good tech support.
>
> Thanks for any help

I have a friend who bought a TPG laptop from them a while ago (rebranded
Chicony).

I think that, at that time, TPG tech support was either incompetent,
dishonest or lazy. On several occasions the laptop was returned to them for
repair, and twice as they were unable to repair their own product, I ended
up fixing it.

Two examples:

Laptop unable to boot. Friend was told by TPG that it needed a new HDD.
Problem was actually an incorrect bios setting - the default bios settings
were incorrect for the cache configuration.

Laptop unable to boot. TPG said it needed a new M/B. Problem was actually
that the memory card had partially fallen out of its slot (the design was
such that it never seated correctly even when new).

I addition, TPG must have a *huge* stash of screws by now. After several
trips to TPG, several exterior case screws were misssing, and probably
around half of the interior screws were missing too.

That said, TPG may be no better or worse than other PC companies and they
may have improved (they've been around a long time), but I'd be glad to
avoid ever dealing with them myself.

All IMHO and YMMV

cheers

Lynn

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Michael G.H. wrote:
>

>>I am interested in buying a computer from TPG. I was wondering whether
>>any of you folks have had experience with this company and would be able
>>to tell me
>>about them. I would like a reliable computer with good tech support.
>>
>>Thanks for any help

HI, I bought a 133and a 166 years ago an they are both still going ok
and never had any problems.
Cheers L

MarkH

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Michael G.H. wrote:
>
>> I am interested in buying a computer from TPG. I was wondering
>> whether any of you folks have had experience with this company and
>> would be able to tell me
>> about them. I would like a reliable computer with good tech support.
>>
>> Thanks for any help

> I have a friend who bought a TPG laptop from them a while ago
> (rebranded Chicony).
>
> I think that, at that time, TPG tech support was either incompetent,
> dishonest or lazy. On several occasions the laptop was returned to
> them for repair, and twice as they were unable to repair their own
> product, I ended up fixing it.

This is not their own product, they donít make laptops. Personally I
wouldnít buy laptops from them, though Iím told that they now sell laptops
which are covered under warranty by another importer.

They are a local assembler of PCs, but they only onsell laptops from other
importers.

Laptops can be a bitch, best to get support from people with experience
with them (like Portables Plus).