Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Zenith SKY decoder serial (RS232) port

Zenith SKY decoder serial (RS232) port

Nil Einne

Hey all,

I've read that it might be possible to use the serial (RS232 / RS 232)
port on the Zenith Sky Decoder to navigate/change channels. I have set
up a home PVR and would really like to do this. Anyone have info on
how to do it (do I need a program or do I just send commands and if so
what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
parity etc)

Thanks all

JohnO

"Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hey all,
>
> I've read that it might be possible to use the serial (RS232 / RS 232)
> port on the Zenith Sky Decoder to navigate/change channels. I have set
> up a home PVR and would really like to do this. Anyone have info on
> how to do it (do I need a program or do I just send commands and if so
> what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
> parity etc)
>
> Thanks all

Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
commands.

Divine

On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:13:39 +1200, JohnO wrote:

> Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
> the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
> commands.

Then why provide a serial port in the first place (other than, of course,
possibly attaching a dumb terminal)?

Divine

--
The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
but this old Queen wants a drink."

-[Myth]-

On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:19:43 +1200, Divine wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:13:39 +1200, JohnO wrote:
>
>> Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
>> the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
>> commands.

> Then why provide a serial port in the first place (other than, of course,
> possibly attaching a dumb terminal)?
>

> Divine

maybe for a software upgrade, reprogramming etc, i know some TVs use serial
ports for this.

Pleb Plebian

"Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hey all,
>
> I've read that it might be possible to use the serial (RS232 / RS 232)
> port on the Zenith Sky Decoder to navigate/change channels. I have set
> up a home PVR and would really like to do this. Anyone have info on
> how to do it (do I need a program or do I just send commands and if so
> what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
> parity etc)
>
> Thanks all

Try http://www.housebot.com/
-and a remote repeater from jaycar: I've patched this to a WinLIRC IR
receiver - and can do yr comment above without any internal hacking
Worth a look, in any case
-P

Craig Sutton

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1n2asyo6vvex4.7f5ptd3ho3zs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:19:43 +1200, Divine wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:13:39 +1200, JohnO wrote:
> >
> >> Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am

under
> >> the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it

IR
> >> commands.

> > Then why provide a serial port in the first place (other than, of

course,
> > possibly attaching a dumb terminal)?
> >

> > Divine

> maybe for a software upgrade, reprogramming etc, i know some TVs use

serial
> ports for this.

Most modern satellite receievers have serial ports for upgrading of the
software. Skys is locked out to prevent fiddling.

Tim

it'd be great to use the serial port for this but not at a complete loss
without it as others have mentioned. IR Blasting works well, we use them
with Tivo units (the IR Blasters come pre-suplied). works fine for
everything from vcr,sky digital decoder, saturn decoder, etc.

Slight delay in changing channels (eg second or two) but if your not
watching live tv it's pretty irrelevant..

TiM

"Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hey all,
>
> I've read that it might be possible to use the serial (RS232 / RS 232)
> port on the Zenith Sky Decoder to navigate/change channels. I have set
> up a home PVR and would really like to do this. Anyone have info on
> how to do it (do I need a program or do I just send commands and if so
> what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
> parity etc)
>
> Thanks all

John Dyer

The RS232 port is used for diagnostic testing.
When not used for this purpose it emits Channel ID
information every few seconds.

"Nil Einne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hey all,
>
> I've read that it might be possible to use the serial (RS232 / RS 232)
> port on the Zenith Sky Decoder to navigate/change channels. I have set
> up a home PVR and would really like to do this. Anyone have info on
> how to do it (do I need a program or do I just send commands and if so
> what commands) and what settings to use to connect the port (baud,
> parity etc)
>
> Thanks all

Nil Einne

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<GaYrc.8842$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
> the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
> commands.

Do a search. Someone said they managed to get the serial port to do
something on the Pace but not the Zenith...

Nil Einne

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<GaYrc.8842$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Where did you read that? I'd like to be able to do the same, but am under
> the impression that the only way to control the sky box is to send it IR
> commands.

Er.... Make that managed to get it to do something on the Zenith but not the Pace