Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop & TV out help

Laptop & TV out help

Goose

Hi, I need a bit of help wiith this one.
I've got a Compaq 2143, when I hook it up to the TV the desktop shows up ok,
but if I try to play a video file, ie: dvd,avi, mpeg etc there is nothing,
but it plays on the laptop ok... somehow it's just not getting to the TV.
I've got the latest drivers etc am running XP Pro.

Can't seem to find any help on the comapq site & google didn't come up with
much either.

any help appreaciated

E. Scrooge

"Goose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsOQrc.3556$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I need a bit of help wiith this one.
> I've got a Compaq 2143, when I hook it up to the TV the desktop shows up

ok,
> but if I try to play a video file, ie: dvd,avi, mpeg etc there is nothing,
> but it plays on the laptop ok... somehow it's just not getting to the TV.
> I've got the latest drivers etc am running XP Pro.
>
> Can't seem to find any help on the comapq site & google didn't come up

with
> much either.
>
> any help appreaciated

Video settings for TV out - video overlay or whatever. If it's possible it
should be in your TV out control settings of some sort.

E. Scrooge

Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:23:22 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> wrote:

>"Goose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsOQrc.3556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I need a bit of help wiith this one.
>> I've got a Compaq 2143, when I hook it up to the TV the desktop shows up

>ok,
>> but if I try to play a video file, ie: dvd,avi, mpeg etc there is nothing,
>> but it plays on the laptop ok... somehow it's just not getting to the TV.
>> I've got the latest drivers etc am running XP Pro.
>>
>> Can't seem to find any help on the comapq site & google didn't come up

>with
>> much either.
>>
>> any help appreaciated

>Video settings for TV out - video overlay or whatever. If it's possible it
>should be in your TV out control settings of some sort.
>
>E. Scrooge

I'd check the bios. It may be that you have the option to
enable/disable / PAL/NTSC / TV/VGA ??

It's UNLIKELY to be the same prob as my laptop, which is ageing, and
the TVout does NOT function under XP only. (Tecra 8000 P2 233)

Bonnes chances !

Goose

"Goose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsOQrc.3556$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I need a bit of help wiith this one.
> I've got a Compaq 2143, when I hook it up to the TV the desktop shows up

ok,
> but if I try to play a video file, ie: dvd,avi, mpeg etc there is nothing,
> but it plays on the laptop ok... somehow it's just not getting to the TV.
> I've got the latest drivers etc am running XP Pro.
>
> Can't seem to find any help on the comapq site & google didn't come up

with
> much either.
>
> any help appreaciated

got it sorted......easy when you know how !

To view the movie on one of the displays, make that display the ''Primary''
one. Here are the steps to change the designation of a display from
''Secondary'' to ''Primary.''
Perform the following steps to allow the display device to display the DVD
movie on the primary controller:

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Display icon.
3. Click the Settings tab.
4. Click the Advanced button at the bottom of the window.
5. Click the Displays tab at the top of the dialog box. The pictures in
this box show the status of the Monitor, Panel, and TV display devices.
6. Click the blue button under the desired display device to select the
primary controller. The blue button toggles between primary and secondary.
8. Verify that Primary Controller is selected for the display device on
which the DVD movie should be displayed.
9. Click the OK button.

-[Myth]-

On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:02:44 +1200, Goose wrote:

> "Goose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsOQrc.3556$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I need a bit of help wiith this one.
>> I've got a Compaq 2143, when I hook it up to the TV the desktop shows up

> ok,
>> but if I try to play a video file, ie: dvd,avi, mpeg etc there is nothing,
>> but it plays on the laptop ok... somehow it's just not getting to the TV.
>> I've got the latest drivers etc am running XP Pro.
>>
>> Can't seem to find any help on the comapq site & google didn't come up

> with
>> much either.
>>
>> any help appreaciated
>>

> got it sorted......easy when you know how !
>
> To view the movie on one of the displays, make that display the ''Primary''
> one. Here are the steps to change the designation of a display from
> ''Secondary'' to ''Primary.''
> Perform the following steps to allow the display device to display the DVD
> movie on the primary controller:
>
> 1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
> 2. Double-click the Display icon.
> 3. Click the Settings tab.
> 4. Click the Advanced button at the bottom of the window.
> 5. Click the Displays tab at the top of the dialog box. The pictures in
> this box show the status of the Monitor, Panel, and TV display devices.
> 6. Click the blue button under the desired display device to select the
> primary controller. The blue button toggles between primary and secondary.
> 8. Verify that Primary Controller is selected for the display device on
> which the DVD movie should be displayed.
> 9. Click the OK button.

that would have been much easier with the ATI drivers.