Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Closing Port 80..

Closing Port 80..

nuts@nuttier.com

Help please!

Installed a DSE XH7916 router, how the heck do I configure it
to close port 80? Running win98 & NS4.8
The minuscule manual has just about fried my eyes & brain!

All help appreciated.

TIA

Tom

Peter

Go into the virtual server part of the router config and point it off to a
non existant address.

otherwise just delete it from this page.

If you are operating he router in a half bridge, then you need to install a
firewall such as sone alarm on your PC.

Peter.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help please!
>
> Installed a DSE XH7916 router, how the heck do I configure it
> to close port 80? Running win98 & NS4.8
> The minuscule manual has just about fried my eyes & brain!
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Tom

XPD

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help please!
>
> Installed a DSE XH7916 router, how the heck do I configure it
> to close port 80? Running win98 & NS4.8
> The minuscule manual has just about fried my eyes & brain!
>\

IIRC the DSE routers have a built in web and ftp server...... its not in the
NAT/ports section but is a seperate option with On/Off.
Ill ask my mate who has one and se eif he can remember where

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:21:17 +1200, XPD wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Help please!
>>
>> Installed a DSE XH7916 router, how the heck do I configure it to close
>> port 80? Running win98 & NS4.8 The minuscule manual has just about fried
>> my eyes & brain!
>>\

> IIRC the DSE routers have a built in web and ftp server...... its not in
> the NAT/ports section but is a seperate option with On/Off. Ill ask my
> mate who has one and se eif he can remember where

I dont' have the DSE router, but my router is as nasty as this.

Basically is security settings are raised above "none" then NAT port
forwarding don't work anymore and with them at "none" the DSL router's
internal services are available on the external ports.

(Yes I can probably tweak this with lots of ruleses, but these things are
cheap and nasty, witha gui-only setup system)

My easy fix was to scan the router from top to bottom and NAT redirect all
open external ports to an unused IP within the internal network.

As it turned out that was just a matter of telnet+ftp+web. I added H.323
and ssh redirects to the main internal linux box with a second set on the
router (I have a /29) pointing to my wife's linux laptop.