Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD media?

DVD media?

Russell Smithies

Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
Dunedin?
What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
movies?
(just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!) so
I'm a DVD newbie)

Russell

Jed Meisterdude

I purchase my DVD+RW/DVD+R's from Ebay USA. Last time, I purchased 50
DVD+R's for a total of NZ$120 including all shipping costs.

I've been using Memorex which have been of exceptionally high quality for my
recorder (NEC). There is a website somewhere that lists the various brands
and qualities.

You should have some DVD+RW's for test burns, but I tend to burn home movie
type stuff to DVD+R's as they are more compatible overall.

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CAurc.8155$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
> Dunedin?
> What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
> movies?
> (just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!)

so
> I'm a DVD newbie)
>

> Russell

mario

I have the same drive (paid $15 more thou). It didn't like my GA-7N400
Pro v2 for some reason so moved it to my Shutle AV40R. Works well now.

If you don't mind buying over the net then http://blankcd.co.nz/ are
pretty good.
I've brought both Laser and Princo off them. I'm local so delivery is free.

They have Princo 700mb 50pk CDR on sale atm for $25. I'm tempted to buy
some (for a rainy day).

mario

Russell Smithies wrote:
> Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
> Dunedin?
> What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
> movies?
> (just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!) so
> I'm a DVD newbie)
>

> Russell

C_Lyon

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CAurc.8155$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
> Dunedin?
> What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
> movies?
> (just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!)

so
> I'm a DVD newbie)
>

> Russell

Princo DVD-R 4X is my fav.
The price on them here in oz is about $40 a spindle of 50.

Robert Singers

Jed Meisterdude startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following
words of wisdom

> You should have some DVD+RW's for test burns, but I tend to burn home
> movie type stuff to DVD+R's as they are more compatible overall.

Really? I've found the opposite. We had to hunt up some '-Rs because a
number of us had DVD players or PCs that wouldn't read '+Rs.

--
rob singers
pull finger to reply

Stephen Worthington

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:33:05 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
>Dunedin?
>What brand and format should I be using for storing data and creating
>movies?
>(just bought an MSI DR8-a from Mosgeil Computers for $230 (nice price!!) so
>I'm a DVD newbie)
>

>Russell

You need to buy online to get a cheap price. I have been using Laser
DVD-R 4x from:

http://www.ascent.co.nz

They are NZ$49.79 for a 25 pack and shipping is free. No jewel cases
for that sort of price though, but you can get cheap Transonic 10
packs of clear cases from The Warehouse (around $3.00, IIRC), or
coulour TDK ones for $4.99. Ascent are a good company - I have been
buying from them for years. The Laser disks burn fine at 4x in my
Pioneer 107D.

I have not tried them yet, but

http://www.picosys.co.nz

have even cheaper OnidTech DVD-R 4x for NZ$1.80 each.

JedMeister

Sorry, I meant between DVD+RW and DVD+R, I have no experience of the
DVD-R's.

I've never had any problem playing my DVD+R's on other DVD players - Even
the PS2 plays them. Guess I've just been lucky given your problems.

"Robert Singers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Jed Meisterdude startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following
> words of wisdom
>
> > You should have some DVD+RW's for test burns, but I tend to burn home
> > movie type stuff to DVD+R's as they are more compatible overall.

> Really? I've found the opposite. We had to hunt up some '-Rs because a
> number of us had DVD players or PCs that wouldn't read '+Rs.
>
> --
> rob singers
> pull finger to reply

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <CAurc.8155$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
>Dunedin?

I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
$39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
not go in to have a look.

Russell Smithies

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <CAurc.8155$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
>>Dunedin?

> I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
> $39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
> according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
> not go in to have a look.

Ended up buying a few Imation DVD+R and DVD+RW from DSE ( $5 and $8 each)
Harvey Normans had no re-writable DVD's in stock of any brand or format!!

Russell

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:32:44 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <CAurc.8155$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Where's the cheapest place to buy DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD_RW or DVD+RW media in
>>Dunedin?

>I bought a 10-pack of TDK DVD-Rs (I like to stick to name brands) for
>$39.95 from the local Harvey Norman . This was back on 10th April,
>according to my invoice--not sure if the price still applies, but why
>not go in to have a look.

But Who makes them...??