Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Skype Software

Skype Software

JMG

hi,
Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to make
tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti and Vancouver.
It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I sent this message from
France.
Thanks

-[Myth]-

> hi,
> Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to make
> tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti and Vancouver.
> It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I sent this message from
> France.
> Thanks

I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k up and
down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost no latency
(ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at least one user must
have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and TCP ports open for it to
work properly. The confernence calls introduced in the newer version also
work fine.

~misfit~

>> hi,
>> Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to
>> make tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti
>> and Vancouver. It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I
>> sent this message from France.
>> Thanks
>
> I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k
> up and down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost
> no latency (ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at
> least one user must have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and
> TCP ports open for it to work properly. The confernence calls
> introduced in the newer version also work fine.

So you're saying it's a waste of time me trying it on my 56k dial-up? I was
just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that doesn't work
them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the registry. The missus likes
to talk to her family but we can't afford too many toll-calls, I was going
to try it then go install it on their machine (also dail-up).

Thanks,
--
~misfit~

colinco

In article <1tq73dauhah56$.aqcghnbkzqhf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ve says...
> I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k up and
> down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost no latency
> (ping between us was avg 120ms).

And how much delay was involved in processing the signal at each end?
Probably another 100-150ms at least. For comparison a normal phone with
no processing delay has only 9ms delay Wgtn to Auckland.

XPD

news:hDprc.8096$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k
> > up and down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost
> > no latency (ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at
> > least one user must have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and
> > TCP ports open for it to work properly. The confernence calls
> > introduced in the newer version also work fine.

> So you're saying it's a waste of time me trying it on my 56k dial-up? I

was
> just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that doesn't

work
> them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the registry. The missus

likes
> to talk to her family but we can't afford too many toll-calls, I was going
> to try it then go install it on their machine (also dail-up).

Err he didnt say anywhere that it wasnt worth it on dialup
I have heard reports that its fine on decent dial ups (ie: 40k+ connection)

-[Myth]-

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:14:08 +1200, colinco wrote:

> In article <1tq73dauhah56$.aqcghnbkzqhf$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)ve says...
>> I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k up and
>> down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost no latency
>> (ping between us was avg 120ms).
>>

> And how much delay was involved in processing the signal at each end?
> Probably another 100-150ms at least. For comparison a normal phone with
> no processing delay has only 9ms delay Wgtn to Auckland.

once i tried it with normal phone at the same time, ie headphones on one
ear, phone on the other, and skype only had a tiny bit more delay, not
noticable during a conversation, this was from auckland to tauranga.

~misfit~

XPD wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hDprc.8096$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have used it to other people on the same connection as mine (128k
>>> up and down) and got perfect quality(better than phone), and almost
>>> no latency (ping between us was avg 120ms). However i've found at
>>> least one user must have non firewalled internet access, or UDP and
>>> TCP ports open for it to work properly. The confernence calls
>>> introduced in the newer version also work fine.

>> So you're saying it's a waste of time me trying it on my 56k
>> dial-up? I was just thinking about trying it but hate installing
>> software that doesn't work them having to uninstall it, maybe
>> messing up the registry. The missus likes to talk to her family but
>> we can't afford too many toll-calls, I was going to try it then go
>> install it on their machine (also dail-up).

> Err he didnt say anywhere that it wasnt worth it on dialup
> I have heard reports that its fine on decent dial ups (ie: 40k+
> connection)

I know, I was inferring. Thanks for the info.
--
~misfit~

Dave Taylor

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsy4u8q0v30g$(E-Mail Removed):

> once i tried it with normal phone at the same time, ie headphones on one
> ear, phone on the other, and skype only had a tiny bit more delay, not
> noticable during a conversation, this was from auckland to tauranga.

I cannot believe the call quality to Vancouver from Christchurch using
Skype. Better than the telephone! Granted, we both have cable modems and
headsets...
Works great to Japan too.
It is miles better that MSN Messenger or Netmeeting.
Ciao, Dave

steve

> hi,
> Just to know if you use skype software as phone on IP ? I'm going to make
> tests next week with friends who are in San Francisco, Tahiti and Vancouver.
> It could be great to use it towards New Zealand ! I sent this message from
> France.
> Thanks

Apparently, it works on Win98SE even though it is targeted for Win2k and
XP.

At least, one person has told me they have it running OK.

bambam

On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:55:03 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> was just thinking about trying it but hate installing software that
> doesn't work them having to uninstall it, maybe messing up the registry.

Have you ever thought of using an install monitor? Perfect for people who
like to play around with different software. Here is a link to a really
good freeware one, if you want to have a play-

http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL...ITIES.htm#A734