Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Graphics card manufacturers

Graphics card manufacturers

-[Myth]-

Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
cheaper one made by some other company?

TIA

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]- wrote:
> Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
> cheaper one made by some other company?

not a hell of a lot...

the cheaper ones may have lower spec'd ram(they might not too), but to
be a 9800 they still have to have to pass a particular level, so at
default settings, they're probably going to score remarkably similar in
most benchmarks...

Personally I haven't bought a 'brand name' video card in quite some
time, they're all close enough for my purposes...

whatcha gonna use it for?
gaming?
overclocking?

-[Myth]-

On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:40:24 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> -[Myth]- wrote:
>> Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
>> cheaper one made by some other company?

> not a hell of a lot...
>
> the cheaper ones may have lower spec'd ram(they might not too), but to
> be a 9800 they still have to have to pass a particular level, so at
> default settings, they're probably going to score remarkably similar in
> most benchmarks...
>
> Personally I haven't bought a 'brand name' video card in quite some
> time, they're all close enough for my purposes...
>
> whatcha gonna use it for?
> gaming?
> overclocking?

thanks, its also a hell of a lot cheaper.
I'll just be using it for gaming.

-[Myth]-

On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:40:24 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> -[Myth]- wrote:
>> Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
>> cheaper one made by some other company?

> not a hell of a lot...
>
> the cheaper ones may have lower spec'd ram(they might not too), but to
> be a 9800 they still have to have to pass a particular level, so at
> default settings, they're probably going to score remarkably similar in
> most benchmarks...
>
> Personally I haven't bought a 'brand name' video card in quite some
> time, they're all close enough for my purposes...
>
> whatcha gonna use it for?
> gaming?
> overclocking?

Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other components:
motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]- wrote:
> Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other components:
> motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?

Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall we
say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

samg

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1tkxeeefeniea$.a4sntqnzo4sf$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there any difference between say, a Made by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and a
> cheaper one made by some other company?
>
> TIA

slower ram, output types, different cooling solutions (cheap ones often
have noisy fans)etc.....hit the review sites.

Steve Robertson

>Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
>overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?

WOW. Have you seen the AMP rating on the 12v o/p of a 430W supply.
What were you running.
.....My old nasty 230W handled CDRW & CDR & DVD & 2 HD's etc etc etc

colinco

In article <40ada3e8$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> WOW. Have you seen the AMP rating on the 12v o/p of a 430W supply.
> What were you running.
> ....My old nasty 230W handled CDRW & CDR & DVD & 2 HD's etc etc etc

Some new boards hardly use any 5V so needing 15-20A of 12V is becoming
common.

Richard

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
> overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
>
> Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall we
> say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

I have had 2 powersupplies die recently, never had any die before other then
ones I blew up myself. Both "featured" Active PFC, an item of marginal use in a
domestic situation.

GraB

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:03:23 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>-[Myth]- wrote:
>> Also, what power supply would i need for that card, (other components:
>> motherboard, DVD rom, cd writer, 1gig ram)

>Dunno... I had a 430W Enermax that died from what appears to be
>overloading of the 12V rail, so umm, the higher the better?
>
>Basically a better quality one is better than a cheap one with shall we
>say an "ambitious" Wattage rating.

What on earth are you running in your machine? I have no trouble with
my HEC 250W PSU.