Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Consumer Products are only supported for 3 Years now..

Consumer Products are only supported for 3 Years now..

The GHOST of WOGER.

A friend just found that out the other Day, used to be 7 years then 5, now
Only 3 years..

He was asking about a Kodak Dysub printer in a shop and if their was
support for the media, they told him that it was now only 3 years that they
had to support it.

Well my 6 year old Epson Printer still has Epson support as far as ink
Cartridges, and then I can get OEM ones..

Mind you I have just upgraded to a Epson R210 and sold my great 740 for $80..

colinco

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> He was asking about a Kodak Dysub printer in a shop and if their was
> support for the media, they told him that it was now only 3 years that they
> had to support it.

Don't worry about his Kodak, what about your Panasonic?

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:20:21 +1200, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> He was asking about a Kodak Dysub printer in a shop and if their was
>> support for the media, they told him that it was now only 3 years that they
>> had to support it.
>>

>Don't worry about his Kodak, what about your Panasonic?

Yes I know, I have e-mail them about it..

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> A friend just found that out the other Day, used to be 7 years then 5, now
> Only 3 years..

No, it depends on the product

Ray Colvill

some major power tool importers only replace up to
two years old. The never imported any parts.

This mainly applies to items retailing less than $50.

And it is getting worse. will the warehouse repair a $29.95
colt grinder. I think not. Most min fees are $20 to look at it.

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >

> > A friend just found that out the other Day, used to be 7 years then 5,

now
> > Only 3 years..

> No, it depends on the product

John Potter

On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:06:38 +1200, "Ray Colvill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Not only power tools. The bus co I work for bought some buses a while
back with throw away engines and gearboxes - not repairable except for
minor parts.

But the engines and gearboxes cost half the repairable version. I
think most people are like the bus co - they buy on price. If power
tool parts availability was advertised at time of purchase I doubt
many would buy the more expensive model with parts.

>some major power tool importers only replace up to
>two years old. The never imported any parts.
>
>This mainly applies to items retailing less than $50.
>
>And it is getting worse. will the warehouse repair a $29.95
>colt grinder. I think not. Most min fees are $20 to look at it.
>

>Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
>The most powerful anti-spam software available.
>http://mail.spaminspector.com
>

>"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> >

>> > A friend just found that out the other Day, used to be 7 years then 5,

>now
>> > Only 3 years..

>> No, it depends on the product

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:47:52 +1200, John Potter wrote:

> But the engines and gearboxes cost half the repairable version. I
> think most people are like the bus co - they buy on price.

Replacement parts are a small part of the overall cost of repairs these
days - the lion's share is downtime and labour.

If you factor that in it may well be cheaper overall to do complete unit
changeouts.

(Of course it'd make sense to be able to do this and work on engines, then
return them to the spares pool, etc rather than a complete throwaway,
given that it's significantly cheaper to work on the gear on a bench than
in situ....)

whoisthis

In article <_bXrc.3609$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ray Colvill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> some major power tool importers only replace up to
> two years old. The never imported any parts.
>
> This mainly applies to items retailing less than $50.
>
> And it is getting worse. will the warehouse repair a $29.95
> colt grinder. I think not. Most min fees are $20 to look at it.

actually some of these "low end" products are only rated for 8 hours use
then they are worn out.

AD.

On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:06:38 +1200, Ray Colvill wrote:

> Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam
> software available. http://mail.spaminspector.com

OT (sorry)

Does anyone else see the contradiction in the above snippet?

Or is is just me?

Cheers
Anton

Bruce Sinclair

In article <_bXrc.3609$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Ray Colvill" <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
<tpf>
>"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> >

>> > A friend just found that out the other Day, used to be 7 years then 5,

>now
>> > Only 3 years..

>> No, it depends on the product

>some major power tool importers only replace up to
>two years old. The never imported any parts.
>
>This mainly applies to items retailing less than $50.
>
>And it is getting worse. will the warehouse repair a $29.95
>colt grinder. I think not. Most min fees are $20 to look at it.

That's why they'd just replace them

Bruce

Bruce

Caution === followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there weere any)