Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Call alert

Call alert

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:49:37 -0700, "Angela & Jim Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hey if anyone is interested and you don't know about it already Dick Smith
>have finally bought out a caller alert a small unit which you can connect
>your modem into and then that connects to the main phone line and a phone
>can be connected into phone point on the unit. It enables a single
>telephone line sharing solution. All you need is call waiting. It works
>that when an incomming call comes ( a green light flashes) and if you are
>connected to the internet the phone rings also and if you wish to answer the
>call you get automatically disconnected the interent to answer the phone. I
>find it really great as I don't get alot of calls but I can have the option
>if someone rings I can pick up. As I have caller ID it works with this
>also. Rings switch can be set to 0,3 or 6 rings. I can't afford a second
>line and I don't really have a use for jetstream. The unit costs $84 plus
>the cost of call waiting. Dick Smiths in Hamilton sell it as they have just
>opened their new superstore.
>
>Angie

V92 was meant to support this..

Switch to Telstra and get far cheaper phone lines and options..

DiMiD

ޣ ? ))))

Thor

The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:49:37 -0700, "Angela & Jim Ross"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hey if anyone is interested and you don't know about it already Dick Smith
>>have finally bought out a caller alert a small unit which you can connect
>>your modem into and then that connects to the main phone line and a phone
>>can be connected into phone point on the unit. It enables a single
>>telephone line sharing solution. All you need is call waiting. It works
>>that when an incomming call comes ( a green light flashes) and if you are
>>connected to the internet the phone rings also and if you wish to answer
>>the
>>call you get automatically disconnected the interent to answer the phone.
>>I find it really great as I don't get alot of calls but I can have the
>>option
>>if someone rings I can pick up. As I have caller ID it works with this
>>also. Rings switch can be set to 0,3 or 6 rings. I can't afford a
>>second
>>line and I don't really have a use for jetstream. The unit costs $84 plus
>>the cost of call waiting. Dick Smiths in Hamilton sell it as they have
>>just opened their new superstore.
>>
>>Angie

Ihug has what it calls internet call waiting. Brilliant for those of us that
still use modems. It pops up a caller id box to tell you who is calling and
you can choose to answer, ignore or send it to voice mail. Good system and
while it had some bugs at the start it now works really well.

Angela & Jim Ross

[...]

Allistar

Thor wrote:

> The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:49:37 -0700, "Angela & Jim Ross"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey if anyone is interested and you don't know about it already Dick
>>>Smith have finally bought out a caller alert a small unit which you can
>>>connect your modem into and then that connects to the main phone line and
>>>a phone
>>>can be connected into phone point on the unit. It enables a single
>>>telephone line sharing solution. All you need is call waiting. It works
>>>that when an incomming call comes ( a green light flashes) and if you are
>>>connected to the internet the phone rings also and if you wish to answer
>>>the
>>>call you get automatically disconnected the interent to answer the phone.
>>>I find it really great as I don't get alot of calls but I can have the
>>>option
>>>if someone rings I can pick up. As I have caller ID it works with this
>>>also. Rings switch can be set to 0,3 or 6 rings. I can't afford a
>>>second
>>>line and I don't really have a use for jetstream. The unit costs $84
>>>plus
>>>the cost of call waiting. Dick Smiths in Hamilton sell it as they have
>>>just opened their new superstore.
>>>
>>>Angie
>>>

> Ihug has what it calls internet call waiting. Brilliant for those of us
> that still use modems. It pops up a caller id box to tell you who is
> calling and you can choose to answer, ignore or send it to voice mail.
> Good system and while it had some bugs at the start it now works really
> well.

Sounds like a good idea. Just out of interest, what operating systems do
they supply this "pop up" software for?

Allistar.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:39:46 +1200, Thor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:49:37 -0700, "Angela & Jim Ross"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey if anyone is interested and you don't know about it already Dick Smith
>>>have finally bought out a caller alert a small unit which you can connect
>>>your modem into and then that connects to the main phone line and a phone
>>>can be connected into phone point on the unit. It enables a single
>>>telephone line sharing solution. All you need is call waiting. It works
>>>that when an incomming call comes ( a green light flashes) and if you are
>>>connected to the internet the phone rings also and if you wish to answer
>>>the
>>>call you get automatically disconnected the interent to answer the phone.
>>>I find it really great as I don't get alot of calls but I can have the
>>>option
>>>if someone rings I can pick up. As I have caller ID it works with this
>>>also. Rings switch can be set to 0,3 or 6 rings. I can't afford a
>>>second
>>>line and I don't really have a use for jetstream. The unit costs $84 plus
>>>the cost of call waiting. Dick Smiths in Hamilton sell it as they have
>>>just opened their new superstore.
>>>
>>>Angie
>>>

>Ihug has what it calls internet call waiting. Brilliant for those of us that
>still use modems. It pops up a caller id box to tell you who is calling and
>you can choose to answer, ignore or send it to voice mail. Good system and
>while it had some bugs at the start it now works really well.

Its cheaper to use the Caller Alert over Ihug's service although you
do have to shell out $84 for the device (others sell it for up to
$150)

With Caller Alert all you pay is Call Waiting which is around $4 per
month. Ihug's option costs $4.95 plus $3.95 for Call Diversion to be
put on your phone.