Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP desktop settings

XP desktop settings

Mike_P

Ok, how/what do I have to set/change so that every new user to log on to an
XP system gets the same basic desktop layout. I am sick of having to change
that 'Telly Tubby' look back to 'Classic Windows' for each new user.

Mike

In article <40ac5d28$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Ok, how/what do I have to set/change so that every new user to log on to an
> XP system gets the same basic desktop layout. I am sick of having to change
> that 'Telly Tubby' look back to 'Classic Windows' for each new user.
>
> Mike

Read this:

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/customprofile.htm

Gurble

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:19:03 +1200, "Mike_P"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok, how/what do I have to set/change so that every new user to log on to an
>XP system gets the same basic desktop layout. I am sick of having to change
>that 'Telly Tubby' look back to 'Classic Windows' for each new user.
>
>Mike

Hmm, by memory:

Create a new user, log in as them and set everything up as you want.
(Don't start any MS Office applications, though, as they can stuff
things up a little later).

Log out, then log in as an Administrator

Go to:

Control Panel --> System --> Advanced

Click on "Settings" under "User Profiles"

Choose the profile you created above and choose "Copy To".

Click Browse, and navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User"

Click OK, and you're done.

You can now delete the temporary user you created above.

Check it works by creating a new user, and logging in as them. Windoze
should take care of the profile security if you use the method above.

HTH

Mike_P

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:19:03 +1200, "Mike_P"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Ok, how/what do I have to set/change so that every new user to log on to

an
> >XP system gets the same basic desktop layout. I am sick of having to

change
> >that 'Telly Tubby' look back to 'Classic Windows' for each new user.
> >
> >Mike
> >

> Hmm, by memory:
>
> Create a new user, log in as them and set everything up as you want.
> (Don't start any MS Office applications, though, as they can stuff
> things up a little later).
>
> Log out, then log in as an Administrator
>
> Go to:
>
> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced
>
> Click on "Settings" under "User Profiles"
>
> Choose the profile you created above and choose "Copy To".
>
> Click Browse, and navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User"
>
> Click OK, and you're done.
>
> You can now delete the temporary user you created above.
>
> Check it works by creating a new user, and logging in as them. Windoze
> should take care of the profile security if you use the method above.
>
> HTH

Yeah that's it... except the 'Copy to' option is grayed-out !
Any ideas ?

frederick

"Mike_P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:19:03 +1200, "Mike_P"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Ok, how/what do I have to set/change so that every new user to log on to

> an
> > >XP system gets the same basic desktop layout. I am sick of having to

> change
> > >that 'Telly Tubby' look back to 'Classic Windows' for each new user.
> > >
> > >Mike
> > >

> > Hmm, by memory:
> >
> > Create a new user, log in as them and set everything up as you want.
> > (Don't start any MS Office applications, though, as they can stuff
> > things up a little later).
> >
> > Log out, then log in as an Administrator
> >
> > Go to:
> >
> > Control Panel --> System --> Advanced
> >
> > Click on "Settings" under "User Profiles"
> >
> > Choose the profile you created above and choose "Copy To".
> >
> > Click Browse, and navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User"
> >
> > Click OK, and you're done.
> >
> > You can now delete the temporary user you created above.
> >
> > Check it works by creating a new user, and logging in as them. Windoze
> > should take care of the profile security if you use the method above.
> >
> > HTH

> Yeah that's it... except the 'Copy to' option is grayed-out !
> Any ideas ?

Did you actually create a new user - and have them selected in that window when
you were logged in as adminitrator?
The "copy to" button is greyed out unless you have selected the user account
that you are copying - and is also greyed out if you select the profile of the
user currently logged in.

Apart from the slightly sickly default desktop wallpaper, and the oversize start
menu, I like the XP theme. Those things are easily changed. After using it for
a while, it is less "mechanical" in appearance than previous windows versions.
I also like the hide inactive system tray icons thing. The full colour icons,
transparency, and rounded corners IMO are easier on the eyes. I guess it is an
individual thing.

Gurble

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:33:07 +1200, "Mike_P"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You can now delete the temporary user you created above.
>>
>> Check it works by creating a new user, and logging in as them. Windoze
>> should take care of the profile security if you use the method above.
>>
>> HTH

>Yeah that's it... except the 'Copy to' option is grayed-out !
>Any ideas ?

Hmm, need a little more info:

1. Are you logged in as the user when attempting to copy it? (You
shouldn't be)
2. Have you Administrative privileges?
3. Is it listed as a roaming profile, and/or is the name "Account
Unknown"?

Mike_P

> Did you actually create a new user - and have them selected in that window

when
> you were logged in as adminitrator?

Yes

> The "copy to" button is greyed out unless you have selected the user

account
> that you are copying - and is also greyed out if you select the profile of

the
> user currently logged in.

I know... Current user is 'Administrator' and selected profile is 'Temp'...
Copy to option is grayed out.

> Apart from the slightly sickly default desktop wallpaper, and the oversize

start
> menu, I like the XP theme. Those things are easily changed. After using

it for
> a while, it is less "mechanical" in appearance than previous windows

versions.
> I also like the hide inactive system tray icons thing. The full colour

icons,
> transparency, and rounded corners IMO are easier on the eyes. I guess it

is an
> individual thing.

each to his own, eh.

Mike_P

> >Yeah that's it... except the 'Copy to' option is grayed-out !
> >Any ideas ?
> >

> Hmm, need a little more info:
>
> 1. Are you logged in as the user when attempting to copy it? (You
> shouldn't be)

No, logged in as Administrator

> 2. Have you Administrative privileges?

Yes, I'm using the Administrator a/c

> 3. Is it listed as a roaming profile, and/or is the name "Account
> Unknown"?

No, listed as Local Account

frederick

"Mike_P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40aeb7d3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Did you actually create a new user - and have them selected in that window

> when
> > you were logged in as adminitrator?

> Yes
>
> > The "copy to" button is greyed out unless you have selected the user

> account
> > that you are copying - and is also greyed out if you select the profile of

> the
> > user currently logged in.

> I know... Current user is 'Administrator' and selected profile is 'Temp'...
> Copy to option is grayed out.
>

> > Apart from the slightly sickly default desktop wallpaper, and the oversize

> start
> > menu, I like the XP theme. Those things are easily changed. After using

> it for
> > a while, it is less "mechanical" in appearance than previous windows

> versions.
> > I also like the hide inactive system tray icons thing. The full colour

> icons,
> > transparency, and rounded corners IMO are easier on the eyes. I guess it

> is an
> > individual thing.
> >

> each to his own, eh.

Of course - at least there is an opportunity to use the old windows theme.

I can't understand why the "copy to" button is greyed out. On my machine,
logged in as user with full privileges, the copy button is enabled if I select
anything other than the active account. I can only suggest to log in as user
rather than administrator and try again.

Mike_P

"frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike_P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40aeb7d3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > >
> > > Did you actually create a new user - and have them selected in that

window
> > when
> > > you were logged in as adminitrator?

> > Yes
> >
> > > The "copy to" button is greyed out unless you have selected the user

> > account
> > > that you are copying - and is also greyed out if you select the

profile of
> > the
> > > user currently logged in.

> > I know... Current user is 'Administrator' and selected profile is

'Temp'...
> > Copy to option is grayed out.
> >

> > > Apart from the slightly sickly default desktop wallpaper, and the

oversize
> > start
> > > menu, I like the XP theme. Those things are easily changed. After

using
> > it for
> > > a while, it is less "mechanical" in appearance than previous windows

> > versions.
> > > I also like the hide inactive system tray icons thing. The full

colour
> > icons,
> > > transparency, and rounded corners IMO are easier on the eyes. I guess

it
> > is an
> > > individual thing.
> > >

> > each to his own, eh.
> >

> Of course - at least there is an opportunity to use the old windows theme.
>
> I can't understand why the "copy to" button is greyed out. On my machine,
> logged in as user with full privileges, the copy button is enabled if I

select
> anything other than the active account. I can only suggest to log in as

user
> rather than administrator and try again.

Yeah I've done that too, logged in as User with Admin privileges and still
the same... must be something I've installed in this system... powertoys or
something similar perhaps. Oh well, I'll just keep trying to narrow it down.