Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD Writers

DVD Writers

will

hi,

i'm about to get a dvd writer, at the moment i'm set on LiteOn 851 @
$200. is it a reliable brand, and is there anything else here
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_9.html#g119 worth considering?

waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
reasonable price.

thanks

will.

TmcT

The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
which is a DL burner).

(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
~NZ$2x
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5466)

I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
with "unbranded" DVDR.

More Reading:

LiteOn 812S
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=LiteOn
+SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
Pioneer A07/107
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=Pionee
r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5491

"will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> i'm about to get a dvd writer, at the moment i'm set on LiteOn 851 @
> $200. is it a reliable brand, and is there anything else here
> http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_9.html#g119 worth considering?
>
> waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
> reasonable price.
>
> thanks
>
> will.

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
>which is a DL burner).
>
>(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
>~NZ$2x
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5466)
>
>I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
>Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
>with "unbranded" DVDR.
>

>More Reading:
>
>LiteOn 812S
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=LiteOn
>+SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
>Pioneer A07/107
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=Pionee
>r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
>Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5491

I had horrible problems with a LiteOn 4x drive - it simply would not
burn a full DVD-R on either of my PCs under two different operating
systems. It was OK on +R and +RW and some -RW media, but not on any -R
I tried. Finally I sent it back and paid a little bit extra for an
OEM Pioneer 107, and it has given me no trouble at all burning
anything I have tried with it, including the very inexpensive Laser 4x
DVD-Rs I found on http://www.ascent.co.nz.

The only thing I can find that is wrong with the Pioneer 107 is that
it only has a single colour activity LED, so you can not tell whether
it is burning or reading. I recommend it, and I definintely do *not*
recommend getting a LiteOn.

BTW I have not tried the Pioneer on 8x media yet, but I expect it will
work fine.

Steve Robertson

>waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
>reasonable price.

LG's do DVDRAM. Is this double layer??

TmcT

Have you try to burn those 4x DVDR at 8x?
(assume the software allow you to do so)

"Stephen Worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s

arrives
> >which is a DL burner).
> >
> >(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
> >~NZ$2x
> >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5466)
> >
> >I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
> >Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better

compatibility
> >with "unbranded" DVDR.
> >

> >More Reading:
> >
> >LiteOn 812S

>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...Headline=LiteO

> >+SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
> >Pioneer A07/107

>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...Headline=Pione

> >r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
> >Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
> >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5491

> I had horrible problems with a LiteOn 4x drive - it simply would not
> burn a full DVD-R on either of my PCs under two different operating
> systems. It was OK on +R and +RW and some -RW media, but not on any -R
> I tried. Finally I sent it back and paid a little bit extra for an
> OEM Pioneer 107, and it has given me no trouble at all burning
> anything I have tried with it, including the very inexpensive Laser 4x
> DVD-Rs I found on http://www.ascent.co.nz.
>
> The only thing I can find that is wrong with the Pioneer 107 is that
> it only has a single colour activity LED, so you can not tell whether
> it is burning or reading. I recommend it, and I definintely do *not*
> recommend getting a LiteOn.
>
> BTW I have not tried the Pioneer on 8x media yet, but I expect it will
> work fine.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 06:55:24 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steve Robertson) wrote:

>>waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
>>reasonable price.
>>

>LG's do DVDRAM. Is this double layer??

Does not support cartridges..

You have to get a Panasonic drive for that..

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 13:59:56 +1200, will <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hi,
>
>i'm about to get a dvd writer, at the moment i'm set on LiteOn 851 @
>$200. is it a reliable brand, and is there anything else here
>http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_9.html#g119 worth considering?
>
>waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
>reasonable price.
>
>thanks
>
>will.

LiteOn is a Great Brand, with good support and useful Utils..

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
>which is a DL burner).
>
>(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
>~NZ$2x
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5466)
>
>I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
>Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
>with "unbranded" DVDR.

ALL Reviews on it state that its Utter CRAP..

>More Reading:
>
>LiteOn 812S
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=LiteOn
>+SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
>Pioneer A07/107
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=Pionee
>r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
>Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5491
>

>"will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm about to get a dvd writer, at the moment i'm set on LiteOn 851 @
>> $200. is it a reliable brand, and is there anything else here
>> http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_9.html#g119 worth considering?
>>
>> waiting for DoubleLayer is out of question as i need one very soon at
>> reasonable price.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> will.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:19:55 +1200, Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
>>which is a DL burner).
>>
>>(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
>>~NZ$2x
>>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5466)
>>
>>I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
>>Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
>>with "unbranded" DVDR.
>>

>>More Reading:
>>
>>LiteOn 812S
>>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=LiteOn
>>+SOWH%2D812S&Series=0
>>Pioneer A07/107
>>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Arti...eadline=Pionee
>>r+DVR%2D107D&Series=0
>>Lite-On launches 8x Dual DL and 12x Dual DVD burners
>>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5491

>I had horrible problems with a LiteOn 4x drive - it simply would not
>burn a full DVD-R on either of my PCs under two different operating
>systems. It was OK on +R and +RW and some -RW media, but not on any -R

Did you update the Fimeware...?

As it get updated All the time..

>I tried. Finally I sent it back and paid a little bit extra for an
>OEM Pioneer 107, and it has given me no trouble at all burning
>anything I have tried with it, including the very inexpensive Laser 4x
>DVD-Rs I found on http://www.ascent.co.nz.
>
>The only thing I can find that is wrong with the Pioneer 107 is that
>it only has a single colour activity LED, so you can not tell whether
>it is burning or reading. I recommend it, and I definintely do *not*
>recommend getting a LiteOn.

All the Review states that its a Crap Drive..

>BTW I have not tried the Pioneer on 8x media yet, but I expect it will
>work fine.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:19 +1200, "TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The latest LiteOn DVDR/W available here should be 812s (before 832s arrives
> >which is a DL burner).
> >
> >(The first D9 DVD+R from Mitsubishi going to be on the market this month,
> >~NZ$2x
> >http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=5466)
> >
> >I would recommend the Pioneer A07/107 rather than LiteOn at this time.
> >Base on numbers of review online, A07/107 seem to have better compatibility
> >with "unbranded" DVDR.

> ALL Reviews on it state that its Utter CRAP..

Has anyone written a review apart from you?

CD-DVD Writers moi Computer Support 3 09-09-2005 07:24 PM
2 DVD writers in one PC? Kenny Computer Support 6 09-08-2004 07:28 PM
A question about dvd/cd writers Hannibal Hayes Computer Support 6 05-13-2004 07:30 AM
F.A Via Ebay U.K :- Xbox - P.C - Playstatin 2 - Games and Hardware (Dvd Writers-Memory-H.D's ) No Reserves Paulmw DVD Video 0 01-11-2004 06:17 PM
Slim external DVD writers Alfred Molon Digital Photography 1 09-21-2003 04:53 AM

Advertisments