Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Application Service Providers

Application Service Providers

bodger

Has anyone got an opinion of using an application service provider? Would
there be any cost savings, operation advantages/disadvantages etc?

Martin

Had a client use Telstra Clear for Email - it kinda sucked because it only
supported MAPI and not IMAP and POP so it was quite slow and if the link
went down (dsl) then all the clients (outlook) locked up - I think they
support IMAP now so should be better..

The cost saving would be best if you had a large number of very small
branches / offices nationwide rather than smaller number of large offices...

cheers

ps the support was ****-poor as well...
pps yes, i know they could have used Outlook in offline mode but then they
may as well have used a normal ISP and pop accounts...

"bodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone got an opinion of using an application service provider? Would
> there be any cost savings, operation advantages/disadvantages etc?

Patrick Dunford

In article <c8hmdn$5dc$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Had a client use Telstra Clear for Email - it kinda sucked because it only
> supported MAPI and not IMAP and POP so it was quite slow and if the link
> went down (dsl) then all the clients (outlook) locked up - I think they
> support IMAP now so should be better..

Clear support IMAP, Paradise doesn't.

AD.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:11:26 +1200, bodger wrote:

> Has anyone got an opinion of using an application service provider? Would
> there be any cost savings, operation advantages/disadvantages etc?

That entirely depends on your situation and the applications in question,
as well as how they will be delivered - eg web based apps, or thin client
terminal server type stuff.

If it's for a complex 'enterprise' type app and you have no real internal
IT capacity, then you probably will save lots of money over doing it
yourself.

For other situations it may or may not be worth it.

Advantages:

No need to worry about patches or backups etc.

No need to maintain or upgrade server capacity yourself.

Typically an operating expense rather than a capital outlay. Depending on
your accounts, that could be an advantage.

Disadvantages:

Can need a good internet or WAN connection, preferably one that doesn't
charge for traffic between you and the ASP. If your connection goes down -
no more application. Some applications can very sensitive to network
latency issues as well.

You have to trust the security of the ASP.

You have no control over the system, and changes may take longer to
organise than it would in house.

A cheap ASP may have lousy performance because they squeeze more clients
onto a server.

Anyway, I work for a software company that has an application available
as an ASP option. The ASP we use is http://www.hdsnz.com, and we find them
pretty good.

Cheers
Anton