Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > new motherboard advice

new motherboard advice

-[Myth]-

I am planning to upgrade my current system, basically get a new everything,
except the optical drives, and I am having trouble selecting a motherboard.
I can go for either a 64 bit athlon 64 motherboard, or a socket A and keep
my current althlon xp 2200+. This would certainly be the cheaper option,
but from what i can see AMD have given up on 32-bit, and all their newer
models are 64s. I use the PC mainly for games, and will need [decent]
onboard sound and LAN.
Any advice appreciated

TIA

EMB

In news:10rs8y1ku8m5w$(E-Mail Removed),
-[Myth]- <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> I am planning to upgrade my current system, basically get a new
> everything, except the optical drives, and I am having trouble
> selecting a motherboard. I can go for either a 64 bit athlon 64
> motherboard, or a socket A and keep my current althlon xp 2200+.
> This would certainly be the cheaper option, but from what i can see
> AMD have given up on 32-bit, and all their newer models are 64s. I
> use the PC mainly for games, and will need [decent] onboard sound and
> LAN.

Athlon64 is still pretty much bleeding edge technology and the price
reflects this. I'd suggest you ignore the '64 for a year or so until it
becomes better value, move to an SATA disk and give the current CPU some
decent cooling and a bit of an overclock (faster FSB) if performance is
*really* vital.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

steve

-[Myth]- wrote:
> I am planning to upgrade my current system, basically get a new everything,
> except the optical drives, and I am having trouble selecting a motherboard.
> I can go for either a 64 bit athlon 64 motherboard, or a socket A and keep
> my current althlon xp 2200+. This would certainly be the cheaper option,
> but from what i can see AMD have given up on 32-bit, and all their newer
> models are 64s. I use the PC mainly for games, and will need [decent]
> onboard sound and LAN.
> Any advice appreciated
>
> TIA

Get a board that supports your current CPU...and the latest Sockat A
models.

The 64-bit ones are still clocking relatively slow by comparison and
probably won't be worth buying for a year or so.....

A Barton 2800+ or 3200+ would be a nice upgrade as they have a much
larger (512k) cache than the 2200+ (256k).

That extra cache makes a big difference.

Bruce Flyger

-[Myth]- wrote:
> I am planning to upgrade my current system, basically get a new everything,
> except the optical drives, and I am having trouble selecting a motherboard.
> I can go for either a 64 bit athlon 64 motherboard, or a socket A and keep
> my current althlon xp 2200+. This would certainly be the cheaper option,
> but from what i can see AMD have given up on 32-bit, and all their newer
> models are 64s. I use the PC mainly for games, and will need [decent]
> onboard sound and LAN.
> Any advice appreciated
>
> TIA

My top 3 Motherboard recommendations are:

Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
Abit NF7-S
DFI Lanparty NFII

All 3 of these have onboard network adapters and very good onboard
sound. They feature the Nvidia MCP-T Southbridge chip which offers
hardware sound rivalling the performance of the Audigy series of soundcards.
Don't confuse the MCP-T with the MCP. Although the MCP chip also
delivers onboard sound, it is not hardware based and does tax your CPU
during games.

~misfit~

Bruce Flyger wrote:
> -[Myth]- wrote:
>> I am planning to upgrade my current system, basically get a new
>> everything, except the optical drives, and I am having trouble
>> selecting a motherboard. I can go for either a 64 bit athlon 64
>> motherboard, or a socket A and keep my current althlon xp 2200+.
>> This would certainly be the cheaper option, but from what i can see
>> AMD have given up on 32-bit, and all their newer models are 64s. I
>> use the PC mainly for games, and will need [decent] onboard sound
>> and LAN.
>> Any advice appreciated
>>
>> TIA

> My top 3 Motherboard recommendations are:
>
> Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
> Abit NF7-S
> DFI Lanparty NFII
>
> All 3 of these have onboard network adapters and very good onboard
> sound. They feature the Nvidia MCP-T Southbridge chip which offers
> hardware sound rivalling the performance of the Audigy series of
> soundcards. Don't confuse the MCP-T with the MCP. Although the MCP
> chip also
> delivers onboard sound, it is not hardware based and does tax your CPU
> during games.

Yep, all good boards. I have a Soltel SL-75FRN2-L myself. It doesn't have
the MCP-T southbridge but I'm happy with the sound and the price was
certainly good ($150). If it taxes my CPU it's not so's you'd notice. I get
good 3DMark scores for my system specs.

What model is your 2200+? If it's a Tbred B then you should be able to get
some good performance out of it with a good, nForce2 Ultra 400 mobo. My
1800+ is running on a 200FSB with a 10.5 multi giving me 2.1Ghz or around
XP2600+ performance. My memory is also at 200Mhz, dual channel. This old CPU
is going damn good. I liked it when I first got it, running at stock
(1.6Ghz). Once I got it in this board though it really took off. It'll do me
for a while yet.
--
~misfit~

Stephen Williams

> Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
> Abit NF7-S
> DFI Lanparty NFII
>
> All 3 of these have onboard network adapters and very good onboard
> sound. They feature the Nvidia MCP-T Southbridge chip which offers
> hardware sound rivalling the performance of the Audigy series of

soundcards.
> Don't confuse the MCP-T with the MCP. Although the MCP chip also
> delivers onboard sound, it is not hardware based and does tax your CPU
> during games.

Well the main bonus of soundstorm is it's ability to encode surround sound 4
channel and 5.1 channel games in to 5.1 dolby digital and send that signal
out an optical link. You need a home theatre system to take advantage of it,
or a flash set of computer speakers that can decode dolby digital. A realtek
chip is used for analogue out, so it's hardly any better than your average
onboard audio unless u can use the optical link. Although i'm not sure of
this part, i think the only thing soundstorm can do without taxing the CPU
is that dolby digital encoding, for other tasks like hardware accelerated
sound in games etc, it won't be able to match an audigy in terms of CPU
usage

Steve

Bruce Flyger

Stephen Williams wrote:
>>Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
>>Abit NF7-S
>>DFI Lanparty NFII
>>
>>All 3 of these have onboard network adapters and very good onboard
>>sound. They feature the Nvidia MCP-T Southbridge chip which offers
>>hardware sound rivalling the performance of the Audigy series of

> soundcards.
>
>>Don't confuse the MCP-T with the MCP. Although the MCP chip also
>>delivers onboard sound, it is not hardware based and does tax your CPU
>>during games.

> Well the main bonus of soundstorm is it's ability to encode surround sound 4
> channel and 5.1 channel games in to 5.1 dolby digital and send that signal
> out an optical link. You need a home theatre system to take advantage of it,
> or a flash set of computer speakers that can decode dolby digital. A realtek
> chip is used for analogue out, so it's hardly any better than your average
> onboard audio unless u can use the optical link. Although i'm not sure of
> this part, i think the only thing soundstorm can do without taxing the CPU
> is that dolby digital encoding, for other tasks like hardware accelerated
> sound in games etc, it won't be able to match an audigy in terms of CPU
> usage
>
> Steve

Analogue sound is still proccesed using the MCP-T chip, the realtek chip
simply converts the processed sound and passes it though to analogue
speakers.
I have played many games using normal onboard sound and they really do
tax the system heavily. Repeated slow downs and an all round drop in
framerate is evident. The MCP-T however allows you to play games, in
analogue, with all the bells and whistle, EAX etc with no framerate
drops or stutters at all.

There is a saying among the nforce2 forums that when you buy a
motherboard featuring MCP-T soundstorm you are actually paying all that
money for a great soundcard with a free motherboard thrown in.

-[Myth]-

On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:23:40 +1200, Bruce Flyger wrote:

> Stephen Williams wrote:
>>>Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
>>>Abit NF7-S
>>>DFI Lanparty NFII
>>>
>>>All 3 of these have onboard network adapters and very good onboard
>>>sound. They feature the Nvidia MCP-T Southbridge chip which offers
>>>hardware sound rivalling the performance of the Audigy series of

>> soundcards.
>>
>>>Don't confuse the MCP-T with the MCP. Although the MCP chip also
>>>delivers onboard sound, it is not hardware based and does tax your CPU
>>>during games.

>> Well the main bonus of soundstorm is it's ability to encode surround sound 4
>> channel and 5.1 channel games in to 5.1 dolby digital and send that signal
>> out an optical link. You need a home theatre system to take advantage of it,
>> or a flash set of computer speakers that can decode dolby digital. A realtek
>> chip is used for analogue out, so it's hardly any better than your average
>> onboard audio unless u can use the optical link. Although i'm not sure of
>> this part, i think the only thing soundstorm can do without taxing the CPU
>> is that dolby digital encoding, for other tasks like hardware accelerated
>> sound in games etc, it won't be able to match an audigy in terms of CPU
>> usage
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Analogue sound is still proccesed using the MCP-T chip, the realtek chip
> simply converts the processed sound and passes it though to analogue
> speakers.
> I have played many games using normal onboard sound and they really do
> tax the system heavily. Repeated slow downs and an all round drop in
> framerate is evident. The MCP-T however allows you to play games, in
> analogue, with all the bells and whistle, EAX etc with no framerate
> drops or stutters at all.
>
> There is a saying among the nforce2 forums that when you buy a
> motherboard featuring MCP-T soundstorm you are actually paying all that
> money for a great soundcard with a free motherboard thrown in.

The Abit motherboard mentioned above seems good from the specs on the site,
and i found one on pricespy for $200, but below it was an Abit NF7-SL (note
the extra L on the end) for 2 dollars more, is there any differnce?
Thanks for the help.

-[Myth]-

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:29:17 +1200, -[Myth]- wrote:

>>> soundcards.

>>> Well the main bonus of soundstorm is it's ability to encode surround sound 4
>>> channel and 5.1 channel games in to 5.1 dolby digital and send that signal
>>> out an optical link. You need a home theatre system to take advantage of it,
>>> or a flash set of computer speakers that can decode dolby digital. A realtek
>>> chip is used for analogue out, so it's hardly any better than your average
>>> onboard audio unless u can use the optical link. Although i'm not sure of
>>> this part, i think the only thing soundstorm can do without taxing the CPU
>>> is that dolby digital encoding, for other tasks like hardware accelerated
>>> sound in games etc, it won't be able to match an audigy in terms of CPU
>>> usage
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Analogue sound is still proccesed using the MCP-T chip, the realtek chip
>> simply converts the processed sound and passes it though to analogue
>> speakers.
>> I have played many games using normal onboard sound and they really do
>> tax the system heavily. Repeated slow downs and an all round drop in
>> framerate is evident. The MCP-T however allows you to play games, in
>> analogue, with all the bells and whistle, EAX etc with no framerate
>> drops or stutters at all.
>>
>> There is a saying among the nforce2 forums that when you buy a
>> motherboard featuring MCP-T soundstorm you are actually paying all that
>> money for a great soundcard with a free motherboard thrown in.

> The Abit motherboard mentioned above seems good from the specs on the site,
> and i found one on pricespy for $200, but below it was an Abit NF7-SL (note
> the extra L on the end) for 2 dollars more, is there any differnce?
> Thanks for the help.

ooops, ignore that, its a socket 462 version

colinco

In article <c2ftpq0hiil6.1ijpxeipj56zo$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ve says...
> > The Abit motherboard mentioned above seems good from the specs on the site,
> > and i found one on pricespy for $200, but below it was an Abit NF7-SL (note
> > the extra L on the end) for 2 dollars more, is there any differnce?
> > Thanks for the help.

> ooops, ignore that, its a socket 462 version

How many pins do you think socket A has?
The NF7-SL doesn't have the Seriell adapter included - (older drives to
sata)