Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > video editing

video editing

Nick

hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.

Any pointers ?

cowboyz

Nick wrote:
> hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether
> within windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around
> parts of a video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just
> started looking at this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from
> my camera, but although I can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as
> to what to do next. in terms of programs, as I say, with or without
> windows xp.
>
> Any pointers ?

I use winproducer but only because it come with my card and does the job
realatively easily. Can be a frustrating POS though if you click the worng
button or not paying attention. There are others though.

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinProducerCD_Profile.jsp

gimp

Nick wrote:
> hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
> windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
> video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
> this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
> can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
> programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.

checkout tucows.com and browse your way to movie editors or
multimedia... if there is anything shareware or freeware it will be there.

Collector

Nick wrote:

>hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
>windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
>video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
>this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
>can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
>programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
>
>Any pointers ?

Much as I hate recommending MS, the Moviemaker in XP is actually V Good
for dealing with camera footage, great for taking out those scenes of
your foot etc titling etc is a little harder but possible.

ufo_hk

Video editing:
http://www.lordsmurf.com

DVD burning and editing:
http://www.afterdawn.com/
http://www.videohelp.com/

Want to put big "movies" on CD:
http://www.kvcd.org/portal/index.php

I tend to use Ulead productions most of the time as they are easy to use.
http://www.ulead.com Note trial downloads of all products available
Videostudio is simple to use and gives heaps of options, you don't need
Capture / editing / authoring all in one package.

Otherwise free ware in terms of
Editor - Virtualdub (see www.videohelp.com "tools" section)
Encoder - TMPGEnc (see www.videohelp.com "tools" section)

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
> windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
> video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
> this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although

> can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms

of
> programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
>
> Any pointers ?

Waylon Smithers

Nick wrote:
> hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether
> within windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around
> parts of a video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just
> started looking at this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from
> my camera, but although I can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as
> to what to do next. in terms of programs, as I say, with or without
> windows xp.

Nick, Movie Maker which comes free with XP is really good for getting the
basics sorted it. It'll capture video/audio, then using a timeline displays
the clips which you can trim, move around, add transitions, mix more
sound,add graphics and so on. MM will also control the vid cam thru the
firewire cable (ffwd, stop, etc).

www.windowsmoviemakers.net has some stuff.

Have fun !

James McLaughlin

On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:47:39 +1200, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
>windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
>video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
>this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
>can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
>programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
>
>Any pointers ?

The two that I would suggest having a look at are:

TMPGEnc, http://www.tmpgenc.net/ which I use to edit the Mpeg1 and 2
files that my TV card creates, and

VirtualDub, http://www.virtualdub.org/index which isn't bad for AVI
and Mpeg work.

Both are free in some form, work with XP, and are reasonably easy to
play with.

When I'm editing the ad breaks out of a TV program I want to keep, I
start with one movie file like you have. I use TMPGEnc because the
files are usually Mpeg1 format. I load the file, specify exactly the
range of frames that I want to keep, and then save that to another
file. I do that for the first part of the TV show, up to the first ad
break, then do it again for the second section, and finally from the
second ad break to the end (if it a half hour show). So I end up with
3 new video files, which I then patch together with a program called
CombiMovie. http://12video.com/MxTools/CombiMovie.htm which is
average, but the only freeware one I could find.

But what you do will depend on the format you are working in and what
exactly you want to do.

Hope that helps a little,
James

steve

Nick wrote:
> hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
> windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
> video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
> this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
> can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
> programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
>
> Any pointers ?

The software included with Pinnacle's Studio PCTV is pretty good.

I've used it a lot.

I've also used Adobe Premier.....but that is a more powerful and
feature-rich application.....and takes longer to learn...and costs a lot
more.

If your vids are in mpeg format, you require some conversion to a format
the video-edit apps will support.

That will depend on the app concerned.

Michael

Nick wrote:
> hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
> windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
> video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
> this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although I
> can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms of
> programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
>
> Any pointers ?

I use Pinnacle Studio http://www.pinnaclesys.com
Current version is 9 or 10, Im using 8.
Allows you to do full capture, edit, and burn to tape, avi, stream, cd,
vcd, dvd all in the one program.
Has excellent transistions, allows you to add sound effects, cd music
and it has a really cool auto music generator that creates music for
the exact length of video you need. real cool.

I've just create a DVD with full menus, chapters of my holidays and kids
onto DVD using just this program, nothing else. Took me about 2
evenings to produce it which is pretty good I think.

E. Scrooge

"Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey all. If anyone has any tips or pointers about programs, wether within
> windows or free ware proggys that can edit, even chop around parts of a
> video I could do with a couple of pointers here. Just started looking at
> this topic now. I ahve loaded a short video from my camera, but although

> can look at it, I dont have a damn clue as to what to do next. in terms

of
> programs, as I say, with or without windows xp.
>
> Any pointers ?

Depends what you want to do with it when finished, and if it's got sound
that needs to stay in sync.

Virtual Dub, which is free does a good easy basic job of editing. Good for
capturing as well.

If want to make VCDs and SVCDs to play on a CDR compatible DVD player.
That's a bit different. Capture in the best quality AVI format you can
(DivX is fine). You can do some changes in Virtual Dub, just don't use it
to edit it. The best program to edit, create the VCD and burn it all in one
I've found is Cyberlink Power Producer. It will edit a long DivX video file
without stuffing the sound sync. The Cyberlink programs were free on some
magazines not that long ago. You can also merge video files into one using
Power Producer, plus a few other things like titling for DVD players etc.
Power Producer includes an option of putting a DVD player program with the
main format codecs on the CD so almost any PC can play the VCD (or SVCD)
without needing any special codecs on their PC to play it.

For your little test video (or whatever) you might like to just edit it with
Virtual Dub. Save it as an AVI video file. Then Burn it to a CD and a
backup CD if you're worried about something happening to the first CD.
Media Player should be able to play it back whenever you choose to.

E. Scrooge

Newbie at video editing has question re mixing audio Ed Pulliam Computer Support 2 10-26-2003 07:21 PM
video editing Rhys Computer Support 4 10-18-2003 08:18 AM
Video editing software? ripper Computer Support 4 10-08-2003 08:08 PM

Advertisments