Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > uninstalling Mandrake

uninstalling Mandrake

Ferg

I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
off.

I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
for booting Windows or Linux...

Ferg

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Ferg wrote:
> I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
> off.
>
> I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
> boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
> for booting Windows or Linux...

Just boot with your Windows install disk; you can clear or delete the
partitions with the install tools, and I think there is a tool called
FIXMBR in your recovery console that will fix the bootloader issue...

Might pay to read the docs very carefully for those tools...

--
Kind regards,

Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

GraB

You could just delete the Linux partitions and use a boot disc with
fdisk on it, typing: fdisk /mbr

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:34:34 +1200, "Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
>off.
>
>I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
>boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
>for booting Windows or Linux...
>
>Ferg

Ferg

Thanks. Problem solved!

Ferg

"Dumbkiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:34:34 +1200, Ferg wrote:
>
> > I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
> > off.
> >
> > I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
> > boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
> > for booting Windows or Linux...
> >
> > Ferg

> You can boot from the first disc in the Mandrake set, hit F1 for more
> options, type "rescue" at the prompt, and you'll get a menu. One of the
> options is to restore your previous MBR. Just click that, and you'll get
> your windows bootloader. Then delete the partition.
>
> --
> Regards Matt

scoobs

Ferg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day
> and now I would like to take it off.

<snip>

Just curious, not impressed with it or any
other reason you didnt like it, hence removal?

delete _removethis and _nospam2me from return
address and place @NG in subject in order to reply
plus get round that pesky junkmail filter....
scuubydu_removethis@slingshot_nospam2me.co.nz

Dumbkiwi

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:34:34 +1200, Ferg wrote:

> I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
> off.
>
> I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
> boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
> for booting Windows or Linux...
>
> Ferg

You can boot from the first disc in the Mandrake set, hit F1 for more
options, type "rescue" at the prompt, and you'll get a menu. One of the
options is to restore your previous MBR. Just click that, and you'll get
your windows bootloader. Then delete the partition.

--
Regards Matt

Divine

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:34:34 +1200, Ferg wrote:

> I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
> off.
>
> I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
> boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
> for booting Windows or Linux...

booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch in
fdisk:

fdisk /mbr

Divine

--
The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
but this old Queen wants a drink."

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Divine wrote
> booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch in
> fdisk:
>
> fdisk /mbr

are you sure it's undocumented???
a quick google for fdisk /mbr site:microsoft.com gave this link as first...
http://support.microsoft.com/support...s/Q69/0/13.ASP

many more below

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote
> > booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch

in
> > fdisk:
> > fdisk /mbr

> are you sure it's undocumented???
> a quick google for fdisk /mbr site:microsoft.com gave this link as

first...
> http://support.microsoft.com/support...s/Q69/0/13.ASP

hahha, actually, you appear to be correct, although it appears that this
would be documentation on a so called undocumented switch... seems a tad odd
way to put it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote
> > are you sure it's undocumented???

> hahha, actually, you appear to be correct, although it appears that this
> would be documentation on a so called undocumented switch...

found more info on it too... their own website mentions it as far back as
December
1998(http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cac...icrosoft.com/t
echnet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/winntmag/bob1298.mspx+fdisk+/mbr+site:micros
oft.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-

and from june 1995
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...orkstation/res
kit/en-us/recoverw.mspx

I found reference to it in 1992, but I can't open the link...
a lot of history from the company that makes it, but still say that it's
un-documented... odd to say the least.