Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Outlook Express

Outlook Express

Wyn

Hi folks,

Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is a
check box for:

"When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply or
forward."

Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get it
spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the Send
button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to spell
check the original text as well.

Am I missing something?

As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
thought that MS would have corrected it by now.

BTW don't bother to ask why I am using OE. It's called inertia. I had a
look at Calypso and quite liked it but the only spell checkers that I
could find for it were in US English.

Ta.

Wyn

EMB

In news:HTjqc.2812$(E-Mail Removed),
Wyn <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> Hi folks,
>
> Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is a
> check box for:
>
> "When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply
> or forward."
>
> Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
> Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get
> it spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the
> Send button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to
> spell check the original text as well.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
> thought that MS would have corrected it by now.

Just checked on the same version and it only occurs when using OEQuotefix!

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Wyn

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c8cjf9$cdd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:HTjqc.2812$(E-Mail Removed),
> Wyn <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is

> > check box for:
> >
> > "When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply
> > or forward."
> >
> > Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
> > Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get
> > it spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the
> > Send button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to
> > spell check the original text as well.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
> > thought that MS would have corrected it by now.
> >

> Just checked on the same version and it only occurs when using

OEQuotefix!

Yes, you're right. I uninstalled Quotefix, but OE still doesn't spell
check when there is a reply which is interleaved with quoted text in
paragraphs unless part of the reply is in the top line.. There are still
occasions when it spell checks quoted text also but I haven't determined
when this occurs.

I am reluctant to abandon Quotefix and I have d/loaded the latest
version and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Wyn

EMB

In newsTwqc.2922$(E-Mail Removed),
Wyn <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:

> Yes, you're right. I uninstalled Quotefix, but OE still doesn't spell
> check when there is a reply which is interleaved with quoted text in
> paragraphs unless part of the reply is in the top line.. There are
> still occasions when it spell checks quoted text also but I haven't
> determined when this occurs.
>
> I am reluctant to abandon Quotefix and I have d/loaded the latest
> version and see if that makes any difference.

It only checks new text at the top of the post (before the first quoted
text) so far as I can tell.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Patrick Dunford

In article <DTwqc.2922$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c8cjf9$cdd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In news:HTjqc.2812$(E-Mail Removed),
> > Wyn <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > Outlook Express 600.2800.1123 - In Tools/ Options/Spelling there is

> > > check box for:
> > >
> > > "When checking spelling always ignore - the original text in a reply
> > > or forward."
> > >
> > > Why do they bother to give this option? My OE *never* spell checks a
> > > Reply (dunno about Forward, I rarely use it). The only way I can get
> > > it spell checked is to open it when it is in the outbox and hit the
> > > Send button, but when I do this the bloody spell checker proceeds to
> > > spell check the original text as well.
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> > >
> > > As far as I can remember OE has always had this flaw. I would have
> > > thought that MS would have corrected it by now.
> > >

> > Just checked on the same version and it only occurs when using

> OEQuotefix!
>
> Yes, you're right. I uninstalled Quotefix, but OE still doesn't spell
> check when there is a reply which is interleaved with quoted text in
> paragraphs unless part of the reply is in the top line.. There are still
> occasions when it spell checks quoted text also but I haven't determined
> when this occurs.
>
> I am reluctant to abandon Quotefix and I have d/loaded the latest
> version and see if that makes any difference.

Just get a better newsreader