Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Torvalds admits he is not father of Linux

Linux Torvalds admits he is not father of Linux

steve

http://www.linuxworld.com/story/44851_f.htm

LinuxWorld Exclusive: Linus Torvalds Makes Startling Admission,
Discloses *Real* Fathers of Linux

May 17, 2004

Summary

As only Linus Torvalds can, the undisputed - except by the Alexis de
Tocqueville Institute - inventor of Linux has as promised let LinuxWorld
have his immediate comment on the AdTI's president's claims this morning
that the parentage of Linux is in doubt. Read his startling admission
exclusively here.

"Ok, I admit it. I was just a front-man for the real fathers of Linux,
the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus."

Thus begins a characteristically Torvaldsian e-mail to LinuxWorld News
Desk sent by Linus Torvalds in response to our invitation to comment on
the sensationalist claims this morning that he isn't, after all, the
inventor of Linux.

"They (for obvious reasons) couldn't step forward to admit that they had
gotten bitten by the computer bug, and had been developing a series of
operating systems on their own during the off season. But when they
started with Linux (which they originally called Freax - they do feel
like outsiders, you know, and that's a whole sad story in itself), they
felt that they could no longer just let it languish in obscurity. They
started to look for a front-man, and since Santa Claus is from Finland
and thus has connections to Helsinki University, and the tooth fairy
claimed 'He's got good strong teeth,' I got selected."

(.........The rest is on the Linuxworld web site.........).