Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Reinstalling XP from scratch

Reinstalling XP from scratch

Patrick Dunford

On Windows 98 we would make a boot disk, format C: and reinstall from the
CD ROM.

Nowadays of course we have bootable CD roms - no need for boot disks.

How do I wipe off the hard disk and force XP to do a totally clean
install? can it be done with the XP installation CD?

Rider

"Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> On Windows 98 we would make a boot disk, format C: and reinstall from the
> CD ROM.
>
> Nowadays of course we have bootable CD roms - no need for boot disks.
>
> How do I wipe off the hard disk and force XP to do a totally clean
> install? can it be done with the XP installation CD?

Yes ... once you've booted from the XP cd, it will find your original XP
install and ask if you want to do a repair or install a fresh copy of XP.
Choose the latter (by pressing esc I think). Then you can tell XP setup to
do a full format of quick format and then carry on with the install.

Hope everything is backed up.

Rider

Patrick Dunford

In article <c8btji$pct$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Patrick Dunford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > On Windows 98 we would make a boot disk, format C: and reinstall from the
> > CD ROM.
> >
> > Nowadays of course we have bootable CD roms - no need for boot disks.
> >
> > How do I wipe off the hard disk and force XP to do a totally clean
> > install? can it be done with the XP installation CD?

> Yes ... once you've booted from the XP cd, it will find your original XP
> install and ask if you want to do a repair or install a fresh copy of XP.
> Choose the latter (by pressing esc I think). Then you can tell XP setup to
> do a full format of quick format and then carry on with the install.
>
> Hope everything is backed up.

It's on a network, so there should be nothing on the machine that needs
backing up, anyway.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Patrick Dunford wrote:
>>Hope everything is backed up.

> It's on a network, so there should be nothing on the machine that needs
> backing up, anyway.

sounds like a Tui ad to me...

zog

I do regular backups of my Hard Disk. Yeah, right. Nice one Dave.

Patrick, the advice so far is correct you dont have to to format first. You
can if you want to but I don't. The setup program gives you that option.
Just one suggestion though: It is a good idea if there are at least two
partitions on your hard disk. The OS and programs can be on one. All your
data, music, smut (oops I meant holiday snaps) etc can be on the second
partition. So when you reinstall (I do it about once a year) you need only
reformat your C: partition.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patrick Dunford wrote:
> >>Hope everything is backed up.

> > It's on a network, so there should be nothing on the machine that needs
> > backing up, anyway.

> sounds like a Tui ad to me...

Patrick Dunford

In article <oamqc.6790$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> I do regular backups of my Hard Disk. Yeah, right. Nice one Dave.
>
> Patrick, the advice so far is correct you dont have to to format first. You
> can if you want to but I don't. The setup program gives you that option.
> Just one suggestion though: It is a good idea if there are at least two
> partitions on your hard disk. The OS and programs can be on one. All your
> data, music, smut (oops I meant holiday snaps) etc can be on the second
> partition. So when you reinstall (I do it about once a year) you need only
> reformat your C: partition.

The problem with multiple partitions is simple: eventually the system
partition becomes too full and stuff has to be installed onto the data
partition. On a network (which this is) there is no need, otherwise a
backup of data can be done before reformatting (which should exist
anyway)

Fishb8

Hi Zog
Why do you need to re-install, yearly?