Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Oh great. Viruses in .bmp now.

Oh great. Viruses in .bmp now.

Howard

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Howard wrote:
> http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=148515536

Interesting...
"This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows source code leak
and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

steve

Howard wrote:
> http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=148515536

Don't worry....it's only Windows...and an old version of MS IE 5.0/5.5.

People on IE 6.0 should be OK...and people who don't use MS products
never had anything to worry about anyway.

"Agent exploits a vulnerability in MS Internet Explorer versions 5.0 and
5.5 which allows malicious code to be launched on victim machines via
modified BMP files. This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows
source code leak and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

zed

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Howard wrote:
>
>> http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=148515536

> Interesting...
> "This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows source code leak
> and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

Note that it is specific to IE 5 - 5.5 on W2000 Russian Language only.
Why on earth would ms put into IE a feature (now apparently a
vulnerability) that could allow code to execute when viewing a bitmap?
A few days ago, half by accident, I wrote some lines of data to a bitmap
file. I was somewhat surprised to find that I could open the file in
mspaint, and it looked absolutely fine, despite containing a few lines
of text in the middle of the file, that wasn't supposed to be there.

Rider

"zed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
> > Howard wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=148515536

> > Interesting...
> > "This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows source code leak
> > and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

> Note that it is specific to IE 5 - 5.5 on W2000 Russian Language only.
> Why on earth would ms put into IE a feature (now apparently a
> vulnerability) that could allow code to execute when viewing a bitmap?
> A few days ago, half by accident, I wrote some lines of data to a bitmap
> file. I was somewhat surprised to find that I could open the file in
> mspaint, and it looked absolutely fine, despite containing a few lines
> of text in the middle of the file, that wasn't supposed to be there.

Didnt people use to do this with JPG files?You could view the picture fine,
but it had some code in it that would execute without you being able to see
what was happening. This was awhile ago now.

Rider

Dave - Dave.net.nz

zed wrote:
> A few days ago, half by accident, I wrote some lines of data to a bitmap
> file. I was somewhat surprised to find that I could open the file in
> mspaint, and it looked absolutely fine, despite containing a few lines
> of text in the middle of the file, that wasn't supposed to be there.

to get around potential corruption?

zed

Rider wrote:

> "zed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>Interesting...
>>>"This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows source code leak
>>>and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

>>Note that it is specific to IE 5 - 5.5 on W2000 Russian Language only.
>>Why on earth would ms put into IE a feature (now apparently a
>>vulnerability) that could allow code to execute when viewing a bitmap?
>>A few days ago, half by accident, I wrote some lines of data to a bitmap
>>file. I was somewhat surprised to find that I could open the file in
>>mspaint, and it looked absolutely fine, despite containing a few lines
>>of text in the middle of the file, that wasn't supposed to be there.
>>

> Didnt people use to do this with JPG files?You could view the picture fine,
> but it had some code in it that would execute without you being able to see
> what was happening. This was awhile ago now.
>
> Rider

I don't know about executing code. "Steganography" tools are available
to allow you to hide text inside jpg files. My mistake seems to show
that steganography for bmp files doesn't have to be very sophisticated -
although i didn't check to see what happened if I opened the file in an
application other than mspaint. I think that is secret agent stuff of no
practical use to anyone but the most paranoid or devious. I think the
idea was that secret messages could be concealed in pictures posted on a
website or ng - by spies and terrorists. A bit far fetched IMO, but who
knows these days?

Patrick Dunford

says...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
> > Howard wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=148515536

> > Interesting...
> > "This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows source code leak
> > and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

> Note that it is specific to IE 5 - 5.5 on W2000 Russian Language only.
> Why on earth would ms put into IE a feature (now apparently a
> vulnerability) that could allow code to execute when viewing a bitmap?
> A few days ago, half by accident, I wrote some lines of data to a bitmap
> file. I was somewhat surprised to find that I could open the file in
> mspaint, and it looked absolutely fine, despite containing a few lines
> of text in the middle of the file, that wasn't supposed to be there.

All a bitmap is is pixel data. You just overwrote a few pixels colours
with new colours.

Patrick Dunford

In article <c8bkva$kgt$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "zed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> > > Interesting...
> > > "This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows source code leak
> > > and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

> > Note that it is specific to IE 5 - 5.5 on W2000 Russian Language only.
> > Why on earth would ms put into IE a feature (now apparently a
> > vulnerability) that could allow code to execute when viewing a bitmap?
> > A few days ago, half by accident, I wrote some lines of data to a bitmap
> > file. I was somewhat surprised to find that I could open the file in
> > mspaint, and it looked absolutely fine, despite containing a few lines
> > of text in the middle of the file, that wasn't supposed to be there.
> >

> Didnt people use to do this with JPG files?You could view the picture fine,
> but it had some code in it that would execute without you being able to see
> what was happening. This was awhile ago now.

Jpegs can contain additional headers under the Exif and several other
standards, anything for an EXE was probably another Windows bug.

zed

Patrick Dunford wrote:

> says...
>
>>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>Interesting...
>>>"This vulnerability is a direct result of the Windows source code leak
>>>and was first detected on February 16, 2004."

>>Note that it is specific to IE 5 - 5.5 on W2000 Russian Language only.
>>Why on earth would ms put into IE a feature (now apparently a
>>vulnerability) that could allow code to execute when viewing a bitmap?
>>A few days ago, half by accident, I wrote some lines of data to a bitmap
>>file. I was somewhat surprised to find that I could open the file in
>>mspaint, and it looked absolutely fine, despite containing a few lines
>>of text in the middle of the file, that wasn't supposed to be there.

> All a bitmap is is pixel data. You just overwrote a few pixels colours
> with new colours.

Probably did.
I note that you can append text to a bmp file without changing any pixel
values, and it seems to open without problems in any bmp viewer I have
on my PC.

Can Viruses infect .AVI files??? Smiley Computer Support 109 05-17-2011 02:00 PM
Will Mozilla stop viruses? P T Firefox 8 10-05-2004 12:55 AM
OT: Kerpal is now authoring viruses ! Paul Lynch MCSE 2 06-04-2004 07:02 PM
Re: spam and viruses Dave Computer Support 5 07-01-2003 10:21 PM
Re: spam and viruses Brian H Computer Support 3 07-01-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments