Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Need new power supply?

Need new power supply?

Craig Sutton

Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V and
the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?

Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...

Machine seems stable though...

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:33:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
>voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V and
>the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
>
>Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
>
>Machine seems stable though...

Most Monitoring software can be unreliable if it does not match the PC Board
correctly, go get a cheap DVM..

Craig Sutton

"The GHOST of WOGER." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:33:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
> >voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V

and
> >the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
> >
> >Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
> >
> >Machine seems stable though...
> >

> Most Monitoring software can be unreliable if it does not match the PC

Board
> correctly, go get a cheap DVM..

But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

Nicholas Sherlock

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check
> the voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading
> 16.32V and the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
>
> Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
>
> Machine seems stable though...

System couldn't be running at those voltages - must be a sensor fault. (You
could check the voltages with a multimeter)

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

EMB

In news:c8akpk$3ui$(E-Mail Removed),
Craig Sutton <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:

> But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

Software & bios use the same sensors. Most likely to be a fault in the
sensor rather than the PSU.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

colinco

In article <c8b3oo$bcc$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> System couldn't be running at those voltages - must be a sensor fault. (You
> could check the voltages with a multimeter)

System probably doesn't use -12V, the only things using +12V without
further regulation are drive motors but yes - sensor fault most likely.

~misfit~

EMB wrote:
> In news:c8akpk$3ui$(E-Mail Removed),
> Craig Sutton <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
>
>> But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

> Software & bios use the same sensors. Most likely to be a fault in
> the sensor rather than the PSU.

What EMB said. You really need to go to DSE and spend $20 on a cheap DVM. I
finally found the cash and it's good knowing exactly what the voltages are.
As it turned out, my software/monitoring chip was reading correctly but at
least I was able to confirm it.

Bought this little cheap thing, a UNI-T UT20B, cost $20 and does an adequate
job for testing PSU voltages.
--
~misfit~

PC

news:Moaqc.6517$(E-Mail Removed)...
> EMB wrote:
> > In news:c8akpk$3ui$(E-Mail Removed),
> > Craig Sutton <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> >
> >> But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

> > Software & bios use the same sensors. Most likely to be a fault in
> > the sensor rather than the PSU.

> What EMB said. You really need to go to DSE and spend $20 on a cheap DVM.

> finally found the cash and it's good knowing exactly what the voltages

are.
> As it turned out, my software/monitoring chip was reading correctly but at
> least I was able to confirm it.
>
> Bought this little cheap thing, a UNI-T UT20B, cost $20 and does an

adequate
> job for testing PSU voltages.
> --
> ~misfit~

Available at the momment for $9.80

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/Q1469

Patrick Dunford

In article <c8af07$m1$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
> voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V and
> the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
>
> Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
>
> Machine seems stable though...

Double check with a good multimeter. Take readings under load, not from
an unloaded supply.

Patrick Dunford

In article <c8akpk$3ui$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "The GHOST of WOGER." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:33:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Just checking my brother pc, put on some monitoring software to check the
> > >voltages etc on the motherboard etc. I notice the +12V is reading 16.32V

> and
> > >the -12V is at 4.01V. Is it new power supply time?
> > >
> > >Bios power monitoring shows similar readings...
> > >
> > >Machine seems stable though...
> > >

> > Most Monitoring software can be unreliable if it does not match the PC

> Board
> > correctly, go get a cheap DVM..
> >

> But matches with what the bios is showing..must be a fault

The first thing to eliminate is a faulty voltage sensor.