Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Neilson Study: File Sharing BOOSTS Record Sales......

Neilson Study: File Sharing BOOSTS Record Sales......

steve

This study fits with my own practice. I'll download songs by an artisit
I'm curious about...and then if I like it< I'll go buy the album. If I
don't like it, I'll delete the files.......as a waste of space.

Saves going to the record store to listen to them on the their headsets
- for free.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18698

Extract (partial):

But a new study by Harvard Business School and University of North
Carolina is going against the popular beliefs surrounding filesharing.
After tracking 1.75 million downloads over a 17-week period in 2002 and
then comparing those observations to the sales of 680 popular albums,
the study found that filesharing has no negative effect on CD sales.

In fact, for the most popular 25 percent of CDs, the study found that
downloading boosts sales. For every 150 songs downloaded, sales of that
album jumped one copy.

"Initially, we were surprised by our results, given the consistent claim
that P2P hurts sales," says Koleman Strumpf, co-author with Felix
Oberholzer-Gee. "But on deeper reflection, not so much. Filesharing can
potentially boost sales through the user learning about new music, and
this could offset the substitution for buying, as is often claimed."

Murray Sutherland

steve wrote:

> This study fits with my own practice. I'll download songs by an artisit
> I'm curious about...and then if I like it< I'll go buy the album. If I
> don't like it, I'll delete the files.......as a waste of space.
>
> Saves going to the record store to listen to them on the their headsets
> - for free.
>
> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18698
>
> Extract (partial):

> But a new study by Harvard Business School and University of North
> Carolina is going against the popular beliefs surrounding filesharing.
> After tracking 1.75 million downloads over a 17-week period in 2002 and
> then comparing those observations to the sales of 680 popular albums,
> the study found that filesharing has no negative effect on CD sales.
>
> In fact, for the most popular 25 percent of CDs, the study found that
> downloading boosts sales. For every 150 songs downloaded, sales of that
> album jumped one copy.
>
> "Initially, we were surprised by our results, given the consistent claim
> that P2P hurts sales," says Koleman Strumpf, co-author with Felix
> Oberholzer-Gee. "But on deeper reflection, not so much. Filesharing can
> potentially boost sales through the user learning about new music, and
> this could offset the substitution for buying, as is often claimed."

Fits in with my own theory that the real reason Music CD sales are going
down is because most of the stuff ["modern music"] is crap. Not because
people will not buy the CD if they have downloaded some of the songs.

Peter

steve wrote:
> "Initially, we were surprised by our results, given the consistent claim
> that P2P hurts sales," says Koleman Strumpf, co-author with Felix
> Oberholzer-Gee. "But on deeper reflection, not so much. Filesharing can
> potentially boost sales through the user learning about new music, and
> this could offset the substitution for buying, as is often claimed."

Actually, I think those non-standard CDs are part of the problem. There has
been a couple of occasions recently where I wanted to buy a music CD, but
it was marked as non-standard format. I didn't buy it because apparently
these don't work in PCs, which is one of the places I want to listen to it.

Maybe if music corporations offered products in formats that everyone can
use, they'd find more buyers.

Peter

steve

Murray Sutherland wrote:

> Fits in with my own theory that the real reason Music CD sales are going
> down is because most of the stuff ["modern music"] is crap. Not because
> people will not buy the CD if they have downloaded some of the songs.

I have to agree with you there.

I listen more than I used to...and buy less.

There is less I want to buy.

Hip-hop? I didn't like it when they called the same stuff "funk" in the
1970s.

Peter Huebner

In article <40a5fd4a$(E-Mail Removed)>, steve@mozilla-
thunderbird0.6.org.nz says...

> This study fits with my own practice. I'll download songs by an artisit
> I'm curious about...and then if I like it< I'll go buy the album. If I
> don't like it, I'll delete the files.......as a waste of space.
>
> Saves going to the record store to listen to them on the their headsets
> - for free.

Indeed. The whole debate is ancient history repeating itself. Many many
years ago (35ish) when many people had reel to reel tape decks, the
record industry was bleating about being done out of their righful
earnings by people recording songs off each other and the radio ...
... somebody did a thorough study and came up with the info that the
people who were recording the most were also the people who were buying
and collecting the most records - that the practice of recording songs
was boosting interest and curiosity leading to increased sales, not
reduced.

The dickhead suits just don't learn. The whole area of movie and record
industry seems so driven by short sighted greed, they almost make
Federated Farmers look good <grin>

-Peter

Andrew

steve, when stopped by the local constabulary on 15/05/2004 11:16 p.m.,
made the following statement:

> This study fits with my own practice. I'll download songs by an artisit
> I'm curious about...and then if I like it< I'll go buy the album. If I
> don't like it, I'll delete the files.......as a waste of space.
>
> Saves going to the record store to listen to them on the their headsets
> - for free.
>
> http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18698

[snip]

You think that's interesting?

http://www.kensei-news.com/bizdev/pu...le_23374.shtml

---8<---
- For the first quarter of 2003 Soundscan registered 147,000,000 records
sold.

- For the 1st quarter of 2004 Soundscan will report 160,000,000 records
sold.

That's 13,000,000 more units, almost a 10% increase in sales since last
year. He also confessed that 1st quarter "album sales" (as opposed to
overall sales) had increased 9.4% since 2003.

"The RIAA reports a sale as a unit SHIPPED to record stores. Whereas
Soundscan reports units sold [to the consumer] at the point of purchase.
So, you're talking about apples and oranges."
---8<---

So - you make and ship fewer units at lower cost, you sell more of them
and you deal with fewer returns. That probably means you're raking it
in like never before.

--
Andrew
http://www.evil.geek.nz/

Barry Lennox

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:16:58 +1200, steve
<steve@mozilla-thunderbird0.6.org.nz> wrote:

>This study fits with my own practice. I'll download songs by an artisit
>I'm curious about...and then if I like it< I'll go buy the album. If I
>don't like it, I'll delete the files.......as a waste of space.
>
>Saves going to the record store to listen to them on the their headsets
>- for free.
>
>http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18698
>
>Extract (partial):

>But a new study by Harvard Business School and University of North
>Carolina is going against the popular beliefs surrounding filesharing.
>After tracking 1.75 million downloads over a 17-week period in 2002 and
>then comparing those observations to the sales of 680 popular albums,
>the study found that filesharing has no negative effect on CD sales.
>
>In fact, for the most popular 25 percent of CDs, the study found that
>downloading boosts sales. For every 150 songs downloaded, sales of that
>album jumped one copy.
>
>"Initially, we were surprised by our results, given the consistent claim
>that P2P hurts sales," says Koleman Strumpf, co-author with Felix
>Oberholzer-Gee. "But on deeper reflection, not so much. Filesharing can
>potentially boost sales through the user learning about new music, and
>this could offset the substitution for buying, as is often claimed."

Wow, this does not fit with strident claims made by the RIANZ and
Glading at Sony. How can they be wrong?

I see in the latest "Listener" they are still whining about the
proposed law change that will let us media change from, say CD to
tape,for in-car use. Their idiotic stance seems to be that it turn NZ
into a pirate's paradise, overlooking that perhaps it already goes on.

brundlefly

"steve" <steve@mozilla-thunderbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message
news:40a6106c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Murray Sutherland wrote:
>
> > Fits in with my own theory that the real reason Music CD sales are going
> > down is because most of the stuff ["modern music"] is crap. Not because
> > people will not buy the CD if they have downloaded some of the songs.

> I have to agree with you there.
>
> I listen more than I used to...and buy less.
>
> There is less I want to buy.
>
> Hip-hop? I didn't like it when they called the same stuff "funk" in the
> 1970s.

So you think its all about what you like ?
thats sad

brundlefly

"Murray Sutherland" <murray{removethis}(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Fits in with my own theory that the real reason Music CD sales are going
> down is because most of the stuff ["modern music"] is crap. Not because
> people will not buy the CD if they have downloaded some of the songs.

Old people always think that, my parents thought that, and their parents
before them no doubt.
People who thinkm like that won't buy CDs regardless of P2P or mp3s, so they
are irrelevant to this argument.
There is more competition for the home entertainment dollar, its just a
proportional adjustment.
The music industry dorks like RIANZ and Michael Glading from Sony are going
the wrong way, discouraging people with an interest in music.
They have to adapt to the way technology affects peoples lives.
They should listen to much cleverer people like Steve Jobs
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story?id=5939600
Of course. What's new is this amazingly efficient distribution system for
stolen property called the Internet -- and no one's gonna shut down the
Internet. And it only takes one stolen copy to be on the Internet. And the
way we expressed it to them is: Pick one lock -- open every door. It only
takes one person to pick a lock. Worst case: Somebody just takes the analog
outputs of their CD player and rerecords it -- puts it on the Internet.
You'll never stop that. So what you have to do is compete with it.

Stephen Williams

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> steve wrote:
> > "Initially, we were surprised by our results, given the consistent claim
> > that P2P hurts sales," says Koleman Strumpf, co-author with Felix
> > Oberholzer-Gee. "But on deeper reflection, not so much. Filesharing can
> > potentially boost sales through the user learning about new music, and
> > this could offset the substitution for buying, as is often claimed."

> Actually, I think those non-standard CDs are part of the problem. There

has
> been a couple of occasions recently where I wanted to buy a music CD, but
> it was marked as non-standard format. I didn't buy it because apparently
> these don't work in PCs, which is one of the places I want to listen to

it.

> Maybe if music corporations offered products in formats that everyone can
> use, they'd find more buyers.
>

> Peter

Are they the ones that come up and say "You must install this (whatever)
software in order to play this CD"? I just click cancel and they work just
fine.

Steve