Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 3Com aims for the 10-Gigabit future

3Com aims for the 10-Gigabit future

bill

while nz is still in the 56k land...

Forget Gigabit Ethernet, 3Com has set its sights on 10-Gigabit for the
near future by including and expansion slot on their switches for
future implementation of 10GbE:

With this week's launch of a family of network switches, 3Com is
gearing up for the days when desktop connections of 1 gigabit per
second are the norm.

The SuperStack 3 Switch 3870 family is the first line of stackable
Gigabit Ethernet switches to include a built-in 10-Gigabit expansion
slot, according to 3Com.

The new line is aimed at companies that need a Gigabit Ethernet switch
today but want the option of making the jump to 10-Gigabit Ethernet in
the future without having to replace their switches.

Marlborough, Mass.-based 3Com says the expansion slot brings added
scalability to a company's network. If utilized, it gives workers
faster connectivity at their desks than would be the case with a 1gbps
or 100mbps switch. A 10-Gigabit Ethernet switch can be used to provide
10 simultaneous 1gbps connections from individual desktops to internal
systems such as mail and file servers.

brundlefly

"bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> while nz is still in the 56k land...
>
> Forget Gigabit Ethernet, 3Com has set its sights on 10-Gigabit for the
> near future by including and expansion slot on their switches for
> future implementation of 10GbE:

I think you have your head a bit far up your arse, bill
Gigabit ethernet is available from most vendors.

Gib Bogle

bill wrote:

> Marlborough, Mass.-based 3Com says the expansion slot brings added
> scalability to a company's network. If utilized, it gives workers
> faster connectivity at their desks than would be the case with a 1gbps
> or 100mbps switch. A 10-Gigabit Ethernet switch can be used to provide
> 10 simultaneous 1gbps connections from individual desktops to internal
> systems such as mail and file servers.

The might be enough to keep up with the spam traffic.

Gib

Dave - Dave.net.nz

bill wrote:
> while nz is still in the 56k land...

ummm the story was talking about network connections, not internet
connections(at least as far as I could be bothered reading).

Don Gould

The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
the local loop.

There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local
loop systems with 1gbit back bones over xmas this year.

Think outside of your office

Cheers Don

Don Gould wrote:
> The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
> the local loop.
> There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local

oh ok, well, yeah, whoop de doo, like any of us have the inclination to
set something like this us.

> Think outside of your office

my office has GBe now

Don Gould

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> oh ok, well, yeah, whoop de doo, like any of us have the inclination to
> set something like this us.

Yes. Most people see very little value in internet and are more than
happy with 56k especially now that ISPs are doing something to protect
them from spam and virus.

No much need for anything past 56k now.

Cheers Don

J.Random Luser

> >> while nz is still in the 56k land...
> >
> > ummm the story was talking about network connections, not internet
> > connections(at least as far as I could be bothered reading).

> The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
> the local loop.
>
> There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local
> loop systems with 1gbit back bones over xmas this year.
>
> Think outside of your office

the NICs are here http://www.small-tree.com

trouble is I haven't got use for more than 1G at the moment,
a couple of HDTV channels in + out with 7.1 sound...

Don Gould

J.Random Luser wrote:

>>>ummm the story was talking about network connections, not internet
>>>connections(at least as far as I could be bothered reading).

>>The hint that was/is being made is that this technology can be used in
>>the local loop.
>>
>>There was quite a bit of conversation about setting up 100mbit local
>>loop systems with 1gbit back bones over xmas this year.
>>
>>Think outside of your office

> the NICs are here http://www.small-tree.com
>
> trouble is I haven't got use for more than 1G at the moment,
> a couple of HDTV channels in + out with 7.1 sound...

Some fantastic technology there!

Imagine a community network built with that sort of technology!

Cheers Don