Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Printer Needed

New Printer Needed

Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
low running costs.

Cheers ......................... Bb

PseUDO

Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:
> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
> low running costs.
>
> Cheers ......................... Bb

Plenty of models to choose from, but what ever you choose, go for one
that has separate ink tanks for the colours, that way when one colour
runs out you just replace the one ink cartridge.

Some models use a single colour cartridge to house 3 colours, when one
colour runs out, chances are the other 2 are still ok, but you need to
ditch the cartridge, which is a waste of money if it still has ink in it.

PseUDO

Darren

Go for a Canon, Ink cartridges are much cheaper then anything else.

Darren

"Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
> low running costs.
>
> Cheers ......................... Bb

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
> low running costs.

Lasers are by far the cheapest to run, look for a second hand Laserjet 4L
or 5L printer.

Patrick Dunford

In article <AIZoc.5001$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Go for a Canon, Ink cartridges are much cheaper then anything else.

Yeah sure, but many Canon printers have limited life heads, that will
work out a lot more expensive if you have to replace the head after every
5 carts

Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:45:55 +1200, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
>> low running costs.

>Lasers are by far the cheapest to run, look for a second hand Laserjet 4L
>or 5L printer.

Yeah - The reason for the original post is that my ancient (i.e black
& white) Brother laser, an HL-8e, has developed a most annoying and
difficult to clear "fuse error". The cartridge is still good, so I'll
keep a lookout for another which can use the cartridge.
The Laserjets you mention Patrick- colour ?

So - I'm about to give in to the kids perssistent requests for a colur
printer. Hence my opening comment that it needs to be as cheap to run
as possible.!

Are these combination units recommended at all.? The scanner option
could be handy I'd imagine.

Thanks again folks !

Bb

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:45:55 +1200, Patrick Dunford
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
> >> low running costs.

> >Lasers are by far the cheapest to run, look for a second hand Laserjet 4L
> >or 5L printer.

> Yeah - The reason for the original post is that my ancient (i.e black
> & white) Brother laser, an HL-8e, has developed a most annoying and
> difficult to clear "fuse error". The cartridge is still good, so I'll
> keep a lookout for another which can use the cartridge.
> The Laserjets you mention Patrick- colour ?

Absolutely not. It's difficult to get one new for under $2000.

> So - I'm about to give in to the kids perssistent requests for a colur
> printer. Hence my opening comment that it needs to be as cheap to run
> as possible.!
>
> Are these combination units recommended at all.? The scanner option
> could be handy I'd imagine.

Somehow I doubt they would fall in your price range, either that or
extremely tacky.

John

On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:54:14 +1200, Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
>low running costs.

ex lease laser printer, HP III for $150, catridge $125, will do around
4000 copys per catridge...

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:12:27 +1200, PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:
>> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
>> low running costs.
>>
>> Cheers ......................... Bb

>Plenty of models to choose from, but what ever you choose, go for one
>that has separate ink tanks for the colours, that way when one colour
>runs out you just replace the one ink cartridge.
>
>Some models use a single colour cartridge to house 3 colours, when one
>colour runs out, chances are the other 2 are still ok, but you need to
>ditch the cartridge, which is a waste of money if it still has ink in it.
>
>PseUDO

Thanks for this Pseudo - makes a lot of sense. Is there any one brand
in particular that uses separate colour ink tanks, or do most of the
makers include such models in their range ?
I'm off on a tangent at the moment I suspect:
http://www.itvsn.com.au/include/sweb...&site_id=ITVSN
Price is $AUD, by the way.

Thanks again ................. Bb

Invisible

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:12:27 +1200, PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce wrote:
>> Any recommendations for a printer say $150->$200. Key factor would be
>> low running costs.

>Plenty of models to choose from, but what ever you choose, go for one
>that has separate ink tanks for the colours, that way when one colour
>runs out you just replace the one ink cartridge.
>
>Some models use a single colour cartridge to house 3 colours, when one
>colour runs out, chances are the other 2 are still ok, but you need to
>ditch the cartridge, which is a waste of money if it still has ink in it.

My old Canon BJC3000 seemed to suspiciously run out of all 3 colours around the
same time.