Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Need plugin to Unix-ify a website

Need plugin to Unix-ify a website

GJ

I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
references may or may not match the case of the actual files.

I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a
folder selected:
-Rename all files/directories to lower case
-Replace spaces in filenames and directories with a character, eg _
-Remove any other not suitable characters
-Search all files and replace references to lowercase
-html
-css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

GJ

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ wrote:

> I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
> on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
> etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
> references may or may not match the case of the actual files.

mod_spell in apache.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
>>I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
>>on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
>>etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
>>references may or may not match the case of the actual files.

> mod_spell in apache.

I was just going to say that... it takes out the upper and lower case
hassles, but he would still have to fix the spaces in the folder and
file names manually...

could be fun on a big site

Divine

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ wrote:

> I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting on
> Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces, etc in
> the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file references may or
> may not match the case of the actual files.
>
> I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a folder
> selected:
> -Rename all files/directories to lower case -Replace spaces in filenames
> and directories with a character, eg _ -Remove any other not suitable
> characters -Search all files and replace references to lowercase
> -html
> -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

What site management software are you using?

Go Live?
Dreamweaver?

Divine

--
Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Enkidu

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ <gavin_ha@jolly_ha.net.nz>
wrote:

>I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
>on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
>etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
>references may or may not match the case of the actual files.
>
>I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a
>folder selected:
>-Rename all files/directories to lower case
>-Replace spaces in filenames and directories with a character, eg _
>-Remove any other not suitable characters
>-Search all files and replace references to lowercase
> -html
> -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

Pay a student at $10 an hour? If said student gets through that and
doesn't go insane offer him a job.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:21:22 +1200, Divine <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What site management software are you using?
>
>Go Live?
>Dreamweaver?

Site management software? Go Live? Dreamweaver?

Ho!

Ho!

Ho!

Cheers,

Cliff

Ron McNulty

If you can collar a UNIX shell script guru for a hour or two, they will
knock you up a script that will do this. My shell skills are rusty, but if
you get keen:

"find" to recurse the directories, using the exec option to run another
script
"sed" to zoom thru the files doing global replacements
"mv" to do the renames, with some clever bits to change the case.

You can do all this under Windows as well if you install Cygwin (open
source) to provide a decent command shell.

Good luck

Regards

Ron

"GJ" <gavin_ha@jolly_ha.net.nz> wrote in message
news:8oIoc.1783$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
> on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
> etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
> references may or may not match the case of the actual files.
>
> I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a
> folder selected:
> -Rename all files/directories to lower case
> -Replace spaces in filenames and directories with a character, eg _
> -Remove any other not suitable characters
> -Search all files and replace references to lowercase
> -html
> -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)
>
> GJ

AD.

"GJ" <gavin_ha@jolly_ha.net.nz> wrote in message
news:8oIoc.1783$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting
> on Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces,
> etc in the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file
> references may or may not match the case of the actual files.
>
> I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a
> folder selected:
> -Rename all files/directories to lower case
> -Replace spaces in filenames and directories with a character, eg _
> -Remove any other not suitable characters
> -Search all files and replace references to lowercase
> -html
> -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

Hey Gavin, assuming I demunged your email address ok, I sent you a quick and
dirty Python script I wrote to do a similar (but not exactly the same) job a
while back. You might have some luck tweaking it to do what you wanted.

If it didn't arrive, let me know.

Cheers
Anton

GJ

Divine wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41:41 +1200, GJ wrote:
>

>>I have inherited a number of sites I need to make suitable for hosting on
>>Unix. The previous developer did not think much about case, spaces, etc in
>>the file names. Additionally, in the HTML pages the file references may or
>>may not match the case of the actual files.
>>
>>I need a batch action/program that will do the following based on a folder
>>selected:
>>-Rename all files/directories to lower case -Replace spaces in filenames
>>and directories with a character, eg _ -Remove any other not suitable
>>characters -Search all files and replace references to lowercase
>> -html
>> -css (am using CSS to include images in backgrounds a lot)

> What site management software are you using?
>
> Go Live?
> Dreamweaver?
>

> Divine

I actually use HTML-KIT, fir most things. I have not been a heavy web
developer but am getting heavier now. After some time I have found
better planning and less implementation is a better work model for me.

I will be receiving sites on a continuing basis and a simple
program/script to make the site suitable to host on unix will be
regurlarly used.

I was using dreamweaver for a while for some simple sites (10-20 static
pages) but got really sick of some annoying behaviours:
-Hardcoding cell/table heights in tag settings
-Munting the HTML layout.

Someone has sent me a Python script I will play with. Really, I just
want a point and click solution I can have some confidence in its
performance.

GJ

Divine

On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:41:04 +1200, GJ wrote:

> I was using dreamweaver for a while for some simple sites (10-20 static
> pages) but got really sick of some annoying behaviours: -Hardcoding
> cell/table heights in tag settings -Munting the HTML layout.

Is it not possible to do all that using CSS?

Divine

--
"What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."