Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Returning faulty item to an online store, who pay the cost?

Returning faulty item to an online store, who pay the cost?

TmcT

Bought a 19" monitor from an online store last week.

The monitor arrived on Tue. morning (Wellington to Auckland) and found
there's problem about the picture once turn it on.
Contact the store service dept. asks whether it's hardware failure or
something else.

Got an Email today that they will replace it but I have to ship the monitor
to them at my expense because "...the warranty is return to base" they said.

Is that true?
I bought an item and pay the shipping, and then they give me a faulty item I
have to pay the shipping cost again?

E. Scrooge

"TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bought a 19" monitor from an online store last week.
>
> The monitor arrived on Tue. morning (Wellington to Auckland) and found
> there's problem about the picture once turn it on.
> Contact the store service dept. asks whether it's hardware failure or
> something else.
>
> Got an Email today that they will replace it but I have to ship the

monitor
> to them at my expense because "...the warranty is return to base" they

said.

> Is that true?
> I bought an item and pay the shipping, and then they give me a faulty item

> have to pay the shipping cost again?

You didn't have to buy anything like that online. You most likely went for
a bargain and got it.

E. Scrooge

Weez

"TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bought a 19" monitor from an online store last week.
>
> The monitor arrived on Tue. morning (Wellington to Auckland) and found
> there's problem about the picture once turn it on.
> Contact the store service dept. asks whether it's hardware failure or
> something else.
>
> Got an Email today that they will replace it but I have to ship the

monitor
> to them at my expense because "...the warranty is return to base" they

said.

> Is that true?
> I bought an item and pay the shipping, and then they give me a faulty item

> have to pay the shipping cost again?

Have a look at this http://tinyurl.com/3hk6v

in particular :
I've moved away from the town where I bought my computer. Do I have to pay
the costs of sending it back for repair?
In our opinion, if the repair is covered by the CGA and/or warranty then the
customer should not be stung for the cost of freight within New Zealand. We
consider freight to be a reasonably foreseeable consequential loss caused by
a product fault, which the retailer is liable for. It is reasonably
foreseeable that customers move towns.

However, this isn't an open chequebook. You should ensure you use the
cheapest transport option available to you, and if you have moved overseas
you won't have a case at all.

Barg

> You didn't have to buy anything like that online. You most likely went
> for a bargain and got it.
>
> E. Scrooge

Yup! That's about it.

Check the terms and conditions. Most likely they say returns are at your
cost. Tough.

Andrew

"TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bought a 19" monitor from an online store last week.
>
> The monitor arrived on Tue. morning (Wellington to Auckland) and found
> there's problem about the picture once turn it on.
> Contact the store service dept. asks whether it's hardware failure or
> something else.
>
> Got an Email today that they will replace it but I have to ship the

monitor
> to them at my expense because "...the warranty is return to base" they

said.

> Is that true?
> I bought an item and pay the shipping, and then they give me a faulty item

> have to pay the shipping cost again?

Most retailers require the comsumerto pay for freight costs back, You have
only had your monitor a week, i would return it for refund and make sure you
replace with a monitor with an onsite warranty, Monitors are a real pain to
freight backwards and forwards - they cost lots!

If you had an onsite warranty rather then return to base warranty, Then a
technician will come to you, Its typically only the cheap cheap monitors
that dont have onsite warrantys, Well known brands like Philips, Viewsonic,
Samsung, Sony etc are worth the extra just for the added warranty support

TmcT

"Barg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5PEoc.1707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You didn't have to buy anything like that online. You most likely went
> > for a bargain and got it.
> >
> > E. Scrooge

> Yup! That's about it.
>
> Check the terms and conditions. Most likely they say returns are at your
> cost. Tough.

E. Scrooge,
Isn't an online store used to inviting more customers to come?
What I mean is, that wasn't something I got the bargain and have more risk,
right?

Barg,
Yes, it's there.
I thought "dead on arrive" is different. (Item was faulty before it's on my
hand)

TmcT

"Weez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KwEoc.1704$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Bought a 19" monitor from an online store last week.
> >
> > The monitor arrived on Tue. morning (Wellington to Auckland) and found
> > there's problem about the picture once turn it on.
> > Contact the store service dept. asks whether it's hardware failure or
> > something else.
> >
> > Got an Email today that they will replace it but I have to ship the

> monitor
> > to them at my expense because "...the warranty is return to base" they

> said.
> >

> > Is that true?
> > I bought an item and pay the shipping, and then they give me a faulty

item
> > have to pay the shipping cost again?
> >

> Have a look at this http://tinyurl.com/3hk6v
>
> in particular :
> I've moved away from the town where I bought my computer. Do I have to pay
> the costs of sending it back for repair?
> In our opinion, if the repair is covered by the CGA and/or warranty then

the
> customer should not be stung for the cost of freight within New Zealand.

We
> consider freight to be a reasonably foreseeable consequential loss caused

by
> a product fault, which the retailer is liable for. It is reasonably
> foreseeable that customers move towns.
>
> However, this isn't an open chequebook. You should ensure you use the
> cheapest transport option available to you, and if you have moved overseas
> you won't have a case at all.

Isn't that buying online different to "hand to hand"?

Here's my another experience about returning item to online store:

On last Dec. I bought a LotR DVD boxset from an oversea website.
The boxset arrived (about a month later) and then I found there's missing
one disc.

Contact them, they said I can post them back the boxset and will pay for the
shipping cost (whatever it's cost).
And they did.

steve

TmcT wrote:
> Is that true?

Usually.

> I bought an item and pay the shipping, and then they give me a faulty item I
> have to pay the shipping cost again?

Yep.

I don't buy large items online for this very reason.

"..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
- Thomas Jefferson

TmcT

news:_JFoc.1718$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Bought a 19" monitor from an online store last week.
> >
> > The monitor arrived on Tue. morning (Wellington to Auckland) and found
> > there's problem about the picture once turn it on.
> > Contact the store service dept. asks whether it's hardware failure or
> > something else.
> >
> > Got an Email today that they will replace it but I have to ship the

> monitor
> > to them at my expense because "...the warranty is return to base" they

> said.
> >

> > Is that true?
> > I bought an item and pay the shipping, and then they give me a faulty

item
> > have to pay the shipping cost again?
> >

> Most retailers require the comsumerto pay for freight costs back, You have
> only had your monitor a week, i would return it for refund and make sure

you
> replace with a monitor with an onsite warranty, Monitors are a real pain

> freight backwards and forwards - they cost lots!
>
> If you had an onsite warranty rather then return to base warranty, Then a
> technician will come to you, Its typically only the cheap cheap monitors
> that dont have onsite warrantys, Well known brands like Philips,

Viewsonic,
> Samsung, Sony etc are worth the extra just for the added warranty support

You right, probably will do so.

Somehow Diamond monitor isn't common here, hardly find a store selling them.

E. Scrooge

"TmcT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Barg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5PEoc.1707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You didn't have to buy anything like that online. You most likely

went
> > > for a bargain and got it.
> > >
> > > E. Scrooge

> > Yup! That's about it.
> >
> > Check the terms and conditions. Most likely they say returns are at

your
> > cost. Tough.

> E. Scrooge,
> Isn't an online store used to inviting more customers to come?
> What I mean is, that wasn't something I got the bargain and have more

risk,
> right?

If you got it cheap enough their profit margins would be bugger all if they
had to pay for freight back and forth. The trouble is that a monitor could
be bounced round by a courier that's all haste and no care. It could've had
quite a shake up by the time that it reached you.

The good thing about buying from a store, though at a higher price. Should
there be a problem in the same day or close to it. Most large stores will
replace it and worry about the warranty themselves. Your online outfit will
want to check it out and possibly send it back to where they got it from,
could take a few months before you get a good working monitor back. At the
very worse that is, if you're lucky you might get satisfied a lot sooner if
it's nothing major or they are able to give you anbother one straight away.
Since the makers warranty is only going to cover the product, you're going
to **** out of luck for shipping costs anyway.

I like a place where I can walk in and say, "It's buggered, now what are you
going to do about it?". No email back and forth nonsense, it's all sorted
out direct and on the spot.

E. Scrooge