Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Free Firewalls

Free Firewalls

David Keane

I'm a long time listener, first time caller.

I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
(decent & free is hard to come by)

I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.

I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.

I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
ones are good to use?

Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
reviews that would be great too.

mattlock

David Keane wrote:
> I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
>
> I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
> (decent & free is hard to come by)
>
> I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
> Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
>
> I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
> and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
>
> I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
> the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
> ones are good to use?
>
> Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
> reviews that would be great too.

Have a look into kerio.
Version 4 has quite a few of the features of the paid versions of
zonealarm and all.
I still use version 2.10 though, its small and very flexible because it
lets you set an unlimited amount of rules for any port, application,
protocol and address.

Dave Taylor

David Keane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:40a205e6
@news.orcon.net.nz:

> I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
>
> I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
> (decent & free is hard to come by)
>
> I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
> Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
>
> I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
> and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
>
> I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
> the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
> ones are good to use?
>
> Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
> reviews that would be great too.

Zonealarm sometimes has isues with its service crashing, and corrupting
the database. See forums at zonelabs about this. You have moved on from
Zonealarm, so I would recommend Sygate. It works well. Do you want to
have called dll's egress monitored? Have you tried Kerio?
Apps can call dll's that use IE to do their dirty work. If IE is
trusted you would never know it happened unless you looked at logs. Take
a look at http://www.grc.com
Try Leaktest and Shields Up. Search their forums, there are some good
posts in there about software firewalls.
Are you worried about egress?
Ciao, Dave

SomebodyElse

David Keane wrote:
> I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
>
> I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
> (decent & free is hard to come by)
>
> I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
> Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
>
> I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
> and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
>
> I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
> the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
> ones are good to use?
>
> Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
> reviews that would be great too.

I used to use ZoneAlarm.
Then I switched to Sygate Personal Firewall (after an extremely unstable
upgrade of ZoneAlarm) for a number of years (approx 4 years). Recently
I've had a few concerns about the reliability of Sygate, and switched
back to ZoneAlarm. They are both free versions of commercial software,
so surely you can't expect them to work as well as their 'paid' versions.

Completely unsubtaniated opinion here -- I like Sygate Personal Firewall
better. Even though I'm not using it at the moment, I like it better and
I think I probably should stil be using it.
The reality is -- these are both free versions of (paid) commercial
software. It's FREE -- and they also sell the stuff -- something's gotta
give!

Norton's (ANYTHING) is ****.
There's no way I'd install that on my system, or recommend it to anybody
at all. I've never seen any installation AT ALL where it's been useful.
For ANYTHING.

OK I'm just rambling now.
I've used ZoneAlarm for the last 3 Months.
I've used Sygate Personal Firewall for about 4 years before that.
As far as I know I've never been hacked while using these programs.

A couple of months ago, APC magazine reviewed firewall type programs. It
was very good (and I can't find at this point) and their best was
something that was ZoneAlarm with a different name + some other stuff.
I think it started with 'C'
Hey, I might not be very helpful, but I'm trying..........

- Scott

Dave Taylor

SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:geooc.1509$FN.165055
@news02.tsnz.net:

> A couple of months ago, APC magazine reviewed firewall type programs. It
> was very good (and I can't find at this point) and their best was
> something that was ZoneAlarm with a different name + some other stuff.
> I think it started with 'C'
> Hey, I might not be very helpful, but I'm trying..........
>
> - Scott

Computer Associates rebranded version of Zonealarm? If you order the
Microsoft patch CD, it comes with a trial version that I found nags you
with a broken web page.

Ciao, Dave

Peter Huebner

says...
> I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
>
> I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
> (decent & free is hard to come by)
>
> I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
> Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
>
> I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
> and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
>
> I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
> the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
> ones are good to use?
>
> Any info would be great, and if anyone could point me to comparative
> reviews that would be great too.

I would discourage people from using Zone Alarm, had bad experiences
with it behaving much like a virus/worm infestation itself once things
go wrong with it.

Used Sygate for many years. It's comprehensive, it's easy to use, it
controlls outgoing as well as incoming and allows to configure ports and
applications individually if you have need.

Now I am using Kerio. Not sure what version, it's a full version, and I
have it clamped down so tight that it doesn't allow any program or dll
to start another program without asking, even the XP camera and scanner
wizard won't work <grin> and I can't get into control panel unless I
disable the firewall. Probably a bit over the top .....

If I wanted someting easier to care for, I'd go back to Sygate, no
question.

-Peter

Jason M

On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:14:44 +1200, Peter Huebner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Now I am using Kerio. Not sure what version, it's a full version, and I
>have it clamped down so tight that it doesn't allow any program or dll
>to start another program without asking, even the XP camera and scanner
>wizard won't work <grin> and I can't get into control panel unless I
>disable the firewall. Probably a bit over the top .....

Kerio Firewall is wonderful. I started by rejecting absolutely
everything, then ran all my usual programs one at a time and allowed
Kerio to add new rules. The only thing to watch is that you may need
to change the order of the rules occasionally, especially if you have
a blanket rule at the end to reject everything not specified in a rule
(since new rules go at the end by default).

Enkidu

On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:05:33 +1200, David Keane
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm a long time listener, first time caller.
>
>I'm starting to look for a decent free Firewall for Win 2000 and XP.
>(decent & free is hard to come by)
>
>I'm looking at BartSoft Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Outpost
>Free, and ZoneAlarm Free.
>
>I've used ZoneAlarm for a while, since it was point and click simple,
>and I was looking for simple stuff for simple minds.
>
>I know a heck of a lot more now, and I'm wondering if anyone has used
>the others successfully, or if anyone has tips or guidelines for which
>ones are good to use?

I use Sygate. I got too annoyed with Zone Alarm. I'm sure it gives
false alarms to convince people it's good. It's reports are not borne
out by a sniffer.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:52:37 +1200, SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Norton's (ANYTHING) is ****.
>There's no way I'd install that on my system, or recommend it to anybody
>at all. I've never seen any installation AT ALL where it's been useful.
>For ANYTHING.

Norton Internet Firewall thingee is useless. Norton AV is the best
there is. I've had no problems with it, it updates cleanly. It catches
viruses and doesn't slow my machine down, in spite of bad press to the
contrary. I tried free AVs, they didn't work properly so I bought
Norton AV.

Cheers,

Cliff

GraB

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:37:16 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:52:37 +1200, SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Norton's (ANYTHING) is ****.
>>There's no way I'd install that on my system, or recommend it to anybody
>>at all. I've never seen any installation AT ALL where it's been useful.
>>For ANYTHING.
>>

>Norton Internet Firewall thingee is useless. Norton AV is the best
>there is. I've had no problems with it, it updates cleanly. It catches
>viruses and doesn't slow my machine down, in spite of bad press to the
>contrary. I tried free AVs, they didn't work properly so I bought
>Norton AV.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

I disinfected someone's computer recently and AVG6 was the only one of
three AV progs, including Nortons, that detected the virus. I have
had trouble with Norton AV5 so stopped using it. It occasionally
deleted my D: partition. I have heard of others that had the same
thing. When I tried the latest I found it slowed everything down too
much.