Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SD memory to IDE adapter

SD memory to IDE adapter

will

hi,

can one actually buy such adapter in NZ?

i have a couple of SD memonry cards and it would be nice to be able to
install an OS and boot from it.

thanks

will.

colinco

says...
> hi,
>
> can one actually buy such adapter in NZ?
>
> i have a couple of SD memonry cards and it would be nice to be able to
> install an OS and boot from it.
>
> thanks
>
> will.

DSE have a CF ide adapter XH4137 A SD-CF adapter could be dearer than
buying a CF card.

Chris

will wrote:

> hi,
>
> can one actually buy such adapter in NZ?
>
> i have a couple of SD memonry cards and it would be nice to be able to
> install an OS and boot from it.
>
> thanks
>
> will.

Is one of these the kind of thing you mean?

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MMRAPA0502

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASPEG0901

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MMRTRS0602

Cheers,
Chris.

will

> Is one of these the kind of thing you mean?
>
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MMRAPA0502
>
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASPEG0901
>
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MMRTRS0602

#### no, not quite. i need it to be bootable.

cheers,

will.

The Other Guy

Verbatim (http://www.verbatim.com.au/) sells a product crom "Carry",
code IISDMC. This is a card reader similar to those suggested by Chris.

I have two of these. They work okay, but seem to have some issues
sharing an IDE channel with other devices. They also don't seem to like
NTFS formatted media when attached to my RAID controller.

They are seen by the BIOS as Zip drives IIRC, so if you can boot from
Zip, this may work for you. I haven't tried it myself, mainly because
none of the imaging software I had would write an image to an SD card.

Much faster than a USB 1.1 card reader

IMO you would be better off using CF which has two modes supported by
the cards, one of which is IDE, requiring only a low cost adaptor.

The Other Guy