Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hotmail on old laptop?

Hotmail on old laptop?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...

She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...

Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

--
Kind regards,

Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

Gavin Tunney

On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:47:21 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
>screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
>
>She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
>browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
>due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
>
>Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

That brings back memories, not particularly fond ones either. I've a
copy of IE4 for Win 3.x that might work, about all I can think of
that's worth trying. It's 8mb and would need to be spanned across
floppies to get it on the laptop to start with... unless you've a
fastlynx cable.

IE4 also comes with quite a good dialler setup that beats the old
Trumpet Winsock.

Cheers

Gavin

geoffm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
>screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
>
>She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
>browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
>due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
>
>Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

You could try Opera - whe I used to have a W95 DX4/100 laptop, it was
noticably faster and more reliable than IE.
Geoff

Ray Greene

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
>screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
>
>She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
>browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
>due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
>
>Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

I don't know if it would work on Hotmail, but there is still a 16-bit version
of Opera available at www.opera.com if you hunt around the downloads page. It
was a very capable browser for it's time and Opera had CSS support very early
on. It's shareware though, I don't remember if it stops working altogether
when the time limit expires but I seem to recall it carries on working but
pops up reminders or something.

Is Win95 an option? The first version was small and lightweight though I
don't know if it supported greyscale monitors. It would give a far wider
range of browser support.

If she changed from Hotmail to Yahoo she could use a POP mail client.

That's all of my ideas

Ray Greene.

Dave Taylor

Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7k4ii$fcg$(E-Mail Removed):

> Yahoo she could use a POP mail client.

This option costs AFAIK
I just looked into poping my yahoo and they said I could pay somewhere
around $19 USD a year to pop my account.

Googled for Browser Windows 3.1?
I found this page that looks promising.
http://pages.prodigy.net/pcfreak/pcf...e/16bitweb.htm

Ciao, Dave

Southern Kiwi

"Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
> A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
> screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
> She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
> browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
> due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
> Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

Don't know whether you can run OE, but I have accessed my Hotmail from
within all the OE versions, from about 4 onwards (currently on ver 6) with
no problems...

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Patrick Dunford

Chris Wilkinson
> Hi there,
>
> A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
> screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
>
> She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
> browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
> due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
>
> Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

As far as I know the most recent browser for 3.1 you can get is IE 3.02.
One can only try.

steve

Gavin Tunney wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:47:21 +1200, Chris Wilkinson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and greyscale
>>screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with Win 3.1...
>>
>>She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of any
>>browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with hotmail
>>due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
>>
>>Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

> That brings back memories, not particularly fond ones either. I've a
> copy of IE4 for Win 3.x that might work, about all I can think of
> that's worth trying. It's 8mb and would need to be spanned across
> floppies to get it on the laptop to start with... unless you've a
> fastlynx cable.
>
> IE4 also comes with quite a good dialler setup that beats the old
> Trumpet Winsock.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gavin

It will run Windows 95.

Then use VNC to actually access apps on ANOTHER over a network (if there
is one).

Nik Coughin

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson
>> Hi there,
>>
>> A flatmate has a 1995 vintage 486 dx2 laptop with 16MB RAM and
>> greyscale screen. It only has a floppy drive and small IDE disk with
>> Win 3.1...
>>
>> She wants to get hotmail on it, but I doubt that any old version of
>> any browser that might be able to run on it will work correctly with
>> hotmail due to lack of CSS, scripting etc...
>>
>> Has anyone tried using such a dinosaur to get recent hotmail?

> As far as I know the most recent browser for 3.1 you can get is IE
> 3.02. One can only try.

You can get IE 5 for 3.1.

Petrushka

Dave Taylor wrote:

> Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7k4ii$fcg$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>Yahoo she could use a POP mail client.

> This option costs AFAIK
> I just looked into poping my yahoo and they said I could pay somewhere
> around $19 USD a year to pop my account.

That's yahoo.com only - other yahoos (e.g. yahoo.co.nz, yahoo.co.uk) are
free. I've been getting my e-mail (not at the address in my sig,
obviously) free of charge via pop.mail.yahoo.com.au for years

> Googled for Browser Windows 3.1?
> I found this page that looks promising.
> http://pages.prodigy.net/pcfreak/pcf...e/16bitweb.htm

Apparently Netscape 4.08 can get to Hotmail (not from personal
experience) - http://www.computing.net/windows31/w...rum/10324.html

--
Petrushka | de_meun at yah0o dot com

new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
Hotmail popper - Hotmail => pop3 access <eom> Paul D.Smith ASP General 0 10-14-2004 01:05 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments