Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > E-commerce credit cards

Reply
Thread Tools

E-commerce credit cards

 
 
Mrs Beeble Brock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2004
Hi, wasn't sure which newsgroup would best suit this, hence the cross-post.

Is there any way to have credit card details transmitted to me by
clients which:

- Are encrypted for client security
- Confirm card's validity

The host I am with currently used to be able to do this but their system
no longer works as it should.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Hope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2004
Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

> Is there any way to have credit card details transmitted to me by
> clients which:
>
> - Are encrypted for client security
> - Confirm card's validity
>
> The host I am with currently used to be able to do this but their system
> no longer works as it should.


Which platform and programming language?

Also, there doesn't appear to be an nz.gen list which you cross-posted to. I
think you were probably meaning nz.general although judging from the name
of this group it may not be a suitable forum for this type of question.
You'd be better cross-posting to the groups which deal with the programming
language which your host supports.

--
Chris Hope
The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mrs Beeble Brock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Hi Chris, I'm not sure what language or platform the webmaster uses. He
recommended the old system which has disabled the validation component.
I'm trying to get recommendations for alternatives. I guess it would
have to be something run by one of our banks.

Cheers,
B

Chris Hope wrote:

> Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
>
>
>>Is there any way to have credit card details transmitted to me by
>>clients which:
>>
>>- Are encrypted for client security
>>- Confirm card's validity
>>
>>The host I am with currently used to be able to do this but their system
>>no longer works as it should.

>
>
> Which platform and programming language?
>
> Also, there doesn't appear to be an nz.gen list which you cross-posted to. I
> think you were probably meaning nz.general although judging from the name
> of this group it may not be a suitable forum for this type of question.
> You'd be better cross-posting to the groups which deal with the programming
> language which your host supports.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Max
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
I doubt it is connected to a banking system, as you are receiving the
details and processing these manually via your merchant account? There
is a special algorithm that can check the cards validity. dps may be
able to help

On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:26:29 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Chris, I'm not sure what language or platform the webmaster uses. He
>recommended the old system which has disabled the validation component.
>I'm trying to get recommendations for alternatives. I guess it would
>have to be something run by one of our banks.
>
>Cheers,
>B
>
>Chris Hope wrote:
>
>> Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Is there any way to have credit card details transmitted to me by
>>>clients which:
>>>
>>>- Are encrypted for client security
>>>- Confirm card's validity
>>>
>>>The host I am with currently used to be able to do this but their system
>>>no longer works as it should.

>>
>>
>> Which platform and programming language?
>>
>> Also, there doesn't appear to be an nz.gen list which you cross-posted to. I
>> think you were probably meaning nz.general although judging from the name
>> of this group it may not be a suitable forum for this type of question.
>> You'd be better cross-posting to the groups which deal with the programming
>> language which your host supports.
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Hope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Max wrote:

> I doubt it is connected to a banking system, as you are receiving the
> details and processing these manually via your merchant account? There
> is a special algorithm that can check the cards validity. dps may be
> able to help


There are freely available algorithms available, which if not already
available for the language the site uses can usually be fairly easily
ported.

Encrypting and decrypting can be done using GPG or similar, but again this
depends on the platform and languages available.

If you can post the website address and/or host's address I can tell you
what they are capable of using and then perhaps we can provide you with the
answer, or at least point you in the right direction.

--
Chris Hope
The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mrs Beeble Brock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Hi Max, thanks for your reply.
The previous programme was run by 2Day. It used to validate cards
through the BNZ but they've just stopped offering this service.

Not sure what you mean by dps sorry.

Max wrote:

> I doubt it is connected to a banking system, as you are receiving the
> details and processing these manually via your merchant account? There
> is a special algorithm that can check the cards validity. dps may be
> able to help
>
> On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:26:29 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Hi Chris, I'm not sure what language or platform the webmaster uses. He
>>recommended the old system which has disabled the validation component.
>>I'm trying to get recommendations for alternatives. I guess it would
>>have to be something run by one of our banks.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>B
>>
>>Chris Hope wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Is there any way to have credit card details transmitted to me by
>>>>clients which:
>>>>
>>>>- Are encrypted for client security
>>>>- Confirm card's validity
>>>>
>>>>The host I am with currently used to be able to do this but their system
>>>>no longer works as it should.
>>>
>>>
>>>Which platform and programming language?
>>>
>>>Also, there doesn't appear to be an nz.gen list which you cross-posted to. I
>>>think you were probably meaning nz.general although judging from the name
>>>of this group it may not be a suitable forum for this type of question.
>>>You'd be better cross-posting to the groups which deal with the programming
>>>language which your host supports.
>>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mrs Beeble Brock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Since they are no longer offering the
validation service, I'm not sure how much use this link will be:

http://www.2day.com/Services/securecardframe.cfm

Cheers,
B

Chris Hope wrote:

> Max wrote:
>
>
>>I doubt it is connected to a banking system, as you are receiving the
>>details and processing these manually via your merchant account? There
>>is a special algorithm that can check the cards validity. dps may be
>>able to help

>
>
> There are freely available algorithms available, which if not already
> available for the language the site uses can usually be fairly easily
> ported.
>
> Encrypting and decrypting can be done using GPG or similar, but again this
> depends on the platform and languages available.
>
> If you can post the website address and/or host's address I can tell you
> what they are capable of using and then perhaps we can provide you with the
> answer, or at least point you in the right direction.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Hope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

> Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Since they are no longer offering the
> validation service, I'm not sure how much use this link will be:
>
> http://www.2day.com/Services/securecardframe.cfm


It looks like they support both ASP old and ASP.NET (assuming you are
actually hosting with 2Day). I'm sure there are CC validation routines for
both development types. As far as getting the CC details to you there are a
couple of options.

1) Your site saves the details to the database and you then retrieve them in
an SSL secured session.

2) The details are encrypted (using something like GPG) and then sent by
email. This may or may not be possible with ASP old / .NET - I have some
experience with both but not enough to be able to answer this.

--
Chris Hope
The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Max
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:56:50 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Max, thanks for your reply.
>The previous programme was run by 2Day. It used to validate cards
>through the BNZ but they've just stopped offering this service.
>
>Not sure what you mean by dps sorry.
>


DPS is a company that deal with credit cards, at http://dps.co.nz/,
and I think they might have something similar to 2day.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mrs Beeble Brock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2004
Thanks Max - I'll forward the link to our webmaster.

Cheers,
B

Max wrote:

> On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:56:50 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Hi Max, thanks for your reply.
>>The previous programme was run by 2Day. It used to validate cards
>>through the BNZ but they've just stopped offering this service.
>>
>>Not sure what you mean by dps sorry.
>>

>
>
> DPS is a company that deal with credit cards, at http://dps.co.nz/,
> and I think they might have something similar to 2day.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accepting credit cards in ASP.NET Scott M. ASP .Net 3 01-21-2004 12:16 AM
Re: credit cards Kapil Sachdeva ASP .Net 1 10-15-2003 11:28 PM



Advertisments