Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ggxvaszvr and other such subjects

ggxvaszvr and other such subjects

Ron McNulty

The last few days there have been quite a few posts with odd subjects like
'ggxvaszvr'.

Are these the result of a virus? Or have I finally fallen so far behind that
I don't recognise the latest jargon?

Regards

Ron McNulty

Nik Coughin

Ron McNulty wrote:
> The last few days there have been quite a few posts with odd subjects
> like 'ggxvaszvr'.
>
> Are these the result of a virus? Or have I finally fallen so far
> behind that I don't recognise the latest jargon?
>
> Regards
>
> Ron McNulty

I was wondering about that too.

Some of them had lists of email addresses that looked as though they were
generated, so they could be a spam trap (distributed by... spamming).

Someone just suggested to me that they could be some form of code. Not too
sure about that theory.

Collector

Nik Coughin wrote:

>Ron McNulty wrote:
>

>>The last few days there have been quite a few posts with odd subjects
>>like 'ggxvaszvr'.
>>
>>Are these the result of a virus? Or have I finally fallen so far
>>behind that I don't recognise the latest jargon?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Ron McNulty
>>

>I was wondering about that too.
>
>Some of them had lists of email addresses that looked as though they were
>generated, so they could be a spam trap (distributed by... spamming).
>
>Someone just suggested to me that they could be some form of code. Not too
>sure about that theory.

They look very much like something and associate an I discussed on a
group a while back.
The objective was to generate automatically a range of either emails or
NNTP postings that would clog the Echolon Dictionaries used to sort
through and flag electronic communications for the various spy agencies
around the world.
The random placement of a range of trigger keywords causes the
dictionaries at Waihopi and other locations to flag them as "Bad"
messages and copy them to the spy agencies.

PseUDO

Ron McNulty wrote:
> The last few days there have been quite a few posts with odd subjects like
> 'ggxvaszvr'.
>
> Are these the result of a virus? Or have I finally fallen so far behind that
> I don't recognise the latest jargon?
>
> Regards
>
> Ron McNulty

They are random messages with keywords designed to be picked up by the
echelon computer system that scans emails etc for words that could
possibly signal a terrorist threat etc.

The person sending them is trying to cause problems for the echelon
computers, most likely without any luck.

Ever seen the spy station at Waihopai at Blenheim??

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/process/echelon.htm

Remember all the posts on these newsgroups are scanned for keyword
threats, and any keywords that are in the echelon dictionary are flagged
and the text is then sent to human analysis at the NSA in the states.

PseUDO

Wyn

PseUDO wrote:
> Ron McNulty wrote:
>> The last few days there have been quite a few posts with odd
>> subjects like 'ggxvaszvr'.
>>
>> Are these the result of a virus? Or have I finally fallen so far
>> behind that I don't recognise the latest jargon?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ron McNulty
>>

> They are random messages with keywords designed to be picked up by the
> echelon computer system that scans emails etc for words that could
> possibly signal a terrorist threat etc.
>
> The person sending them is trying to cause problems for the echelon
> computers, most likely without any luck.
>
> Ever seen the spy station at Waihopai at Blenheim??
>
> http://www.fas.org/irp/program/process/echelon.htm
>
> Remember all the posts on these newsgroups are scanned for keyword
> threats, and any keywords that are in the echelon dictionary are
> flagged
> and the text is then sent to human analysis at the NSA in the states.
>
> PseUDO

Well, if this is the purpose, and if they are aiming at Waihopai, I wish
they'd post to nz.test instead of nz.comp. The posts are getting so long
they might end up as DoSs.

Patrick Dunford

Wyn
> PseUDO wrote:

> > Remember all the posts on these newsgroups are scanned for keyword
> > threats, and any keywords that are in the echelon dictionary are
> > flagged
> > and the text is then sent to human analysis at the NSA in the states.

Bulldust

Nik Coughin

Patrick Dunford wrote:
> Wyn
>> PseUDO wrote:

>>> Remember all the posts on these newsgroups are scanned for keyword
>>> threats, and any keywords that are in the echelon dictionary are
>>> flagged
>>> and the text is then sent to human analysis at the NSA in the
>>> states.

> Bulldust

What's bulldust?

That newsgroups are scanned by Echelon?

That text found by Echelon is sent to the NSA for human analysis?

That Echelon exists?

Collector

Patrick Dunford wrote:

>Wyn
>

>>PseUDO wrote:
>>

>>>Remember all the posts on these newsgroups are scanned for keyword
>>>threats, and any keywords that are in the echelon dictionary are
>>>flagged
>>>and the text is then sent to human analysis at the NSA in the states.
>>>

>Bulldust

Yes it is bull dust.
We worked out very quickly that the only streams pocessed by Echlon
where the satalite streams.

But that said, the groups and many other internet protocols are checked
by NSA but not quite in the manner suggested.