Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.

New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.

punlic

New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and
one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.

The broadband growth index ranks 35 countries from around the world
and puts New Zealand's broadband growth rate at 40%. New Zealand is
ranked third lowest just ahead of the Czech Republic and Latvia. At
the end of 2002, only 1.74 New Zealanders per 100 are users of
broadband services, says the report.

More damagingly, the report also lists countries by broadband
penetration levels - South Korea has one of the lowest rates of growth
because it has the highest level of penetration, indicating broadband
usage is at saturation point.

New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and
one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.

Telecommunications Users Association (TUANZ) chief executive Ernie
Newman says he's not surprised.

"It really just points to the need for competition if we want either
penetration rate or growth rate to increase."

Newman says Telecom has recently released some "good news figures"
about the state of New Zealand's broadband market and he hopes that's
the start of a trend in broadband usage.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...9?OpenDocument

Matthew Poole

In article <71okc.483$(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>punlic wrote:

*SNIP*
>They (Telecom) include 256kb/s connections in the "broadband" category.
>
>From an international perspective is this definition satisfactory?

256kb used to be the lower limit. I believe that it has now been
increased to 384kb, but I could be wrong.
They're certainly not using a measure which has never been accurate, but
I don't know if it's still accurate. And generally it has to be 256kb
bi-di, which Telescum definitely do NOT do!

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Allistar

punlic wrote:

> New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and
> one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.
>
> The broadband growth index ranks 35 countries from around the world
> and puts New Zealand's broadband growth rate at 40%. New Zealand is
> ranked third lowest just ahead of the Czech Republic and Latvia. At
> the end of 2002, only 1.74 New Zealanders per 100 are users of
> broadband services, says the report.
>
> More damagingly, the report also lists countries by broadband
> penetration levels - South Korea has one of the lowest rates of growth
> because it has the highest level of penetration, indicating broadband
> usage is at saturation point.
>
> New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and
> one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.
>
> Telecommunications Users Association (TUANZ) chief executive Ernie
> Newman says he's not surprised.
>
> "It really just points to the need for competition if we want either
> penetration rate or growth rate to increase."
>
> Newman says Telecom has recently released some "good news figures"
> about the state of New Zealand's broadband market and he hopes that's
> the start of a trend in broadband usage.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...9?OpenDocument

They (Telecom) include 256kb/s connections in the "broadband" category.

From an international perspective is this definition satisfactory?

Allistar.

pbs

punlic wrote:
> New Zealand, on the other hand, has one of the lowest growth rates and
> one of the lowest levels of broadband penetration in the world.
>
> The broadband growth index ranks 35 countries from around the world
> and puts New Zealand's broadband growth rate at 40%. New Zealand is

This is a computer news group so people who read and post here tend to
be focused on IT. But to measure the broad band penetration in a
meaningful way, it should be done against other domestic economic
indicators to see if penetration is above or below the trend of those
other indicators of wealth used in international comparisons.

IMHO the raw numbers on broadband penetration are a bit silly. It is not
the number of broadband connections per head of population which should
be measured, but the number of broadband connections per premises (both
commercial and domestic). For example if the average household size is 4
people in one country and 2 in another, then if the number of
connections is "only" 25 per hundred people in the country with 4 in a
dwelling and 35 per 100 people in the county with 2, it means the
country with 4 in a dwelling is 100% saturated whist country with 2 in a
dwelling is not. However the crude figures would show the country with 4
to be lower in a league table than the 2 in a dwelling.

One also needs some sort of measure on population density. In the UK and
the Netherlands, most people live in towns >100K so the local loop is
short. If the loop is longer then it will probably cost more to put in
broadband. Last but not least one has to have some sort of measure as to
the utility derived from the service. It is not economically rational to
pay have broadband unless there are services to go with it.

samg

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote in
news:c6t353$mad$(E-Mail Removed):

>>From an international perspective is this definition satisfactory?
>>

> 256kb used to be the lower limit. I believe that it has now been
> increased to 384kb, but I could be wrong.
> They're certainly not using a measure which has never been accurate,
> but I don't know if it's still accurate. And generally it has to be
> 256kb bi-di, which Telescum definitely do NOT do!

Its 512kb in the UK

Alden Bates

But the important thing is...

punlic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The broadband growth index ranks 35 countries from around the world
>and puts New Zealand's broadband growth rate at 40%. New Zealand is
>ranked third lowest just ahead of the Czech Republic and Latvia. At
>the end of 2002, only 1.74 New Zealanders per 100 are users of
>broadband services, says the report.

.... we're totally beating the Czech Republic and Latvia! WE RULE!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Alden
--
http://www.tetrap.com

Don Gould

punlic wrote:

[..]

> Telecommunications Users Association (TUANZ) chief executive Ernie
> Newman says he's not surprised.

I can't say this supprises me either.

> "It really just points to the need for competition if we want either
> penetration rate or growth rate to increase."

Yawn. Competition isn't going to impact that greatly on prenetration.

More marketing and creating the perception of specials and value for
money are what will increase penetration.

Telecom are doing this at present. They don't want to grow their market
to fast for a number of really really really obvious reasons.

> Newman says Telecom has recently released some "good news figures"
> about the state of New Zealand's broadband market and he hopes that's
> the start of a trend in broadband usage.

Ouh!

Word of mouth is what drives bb uptake.

As more and more people use the service the work spreeds.

The price will come down naturally (there's a bunch of really really
really obvious reasons for this as well and a few (more important, but)
less obvious reasons as well).

2c

Cheers Don