Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help Needed on a Abit IC7 Max 3 Motherboard

Help Needed on a Abit IC7 Max 3 Motherboard

Loupole

Hello People !!

I was testing the Raid on the abit ic7 max 3 motherboard works fine and I
had nothing wrong with it...But decided to go back to Sata\ide and now when
I try to install windows its tells me my harddrives are not config right and
it crashes and won't even dectect my harddrives anymore...What is going
on...I am at a loose end...And also why doesn't my Sata work with the
harddrive anymore its only after I raided the drives this has happen...Now
my harddrives are working in IDE for now but not with the Sata
controller....Is there a settting or something or have I done something
wrong and maybe damged my motherboard.....

Before I didn't see my hard drives under the system IDE ATA\ATAPI
Controllers now its there when it didn't use to be....

Loupole

Ps Please Help !!

Stephen Williams

> Hello People !!
>
> I was testing the Raid on the abit ic7 max 3 motherboard works fine and I
> had nothing wrong with it...But decided to go back to Sata\ide and now

when
> I try to install windows its tells me my harddrives are not config right

and
> it crashes and won't even dectect my harddrives anymore...What is going
> on...I am at a loose end...And also why doesn't my Sata work with the
> harddrive anymore its only after I raided the drives this has happen...Now
> my harddrives are working in IDE for now but not with the Sata
> controller....Is there a settting or something or have I done something
> wrong and maybe damged my motherboard.....
>
> Before I didn't see my hard drives under the system IDE ATA\ATAPI
> Controllers now its there when it didn't use to be....
>
> Loupole
>
> Ps Please Help !!

Dunno if this is what you mean, but i was completely unable to get my system
to boot to a SATA drive on the first or second port (the ones on the Intel
chipset controller) while i had a standard IDE drive plugged in.

I ended up putting my 160GB IDE in to my other PC and purchased two new
120GB SATA drives which now occupy the first two ports on the Silicon Image
controller.

So the setup on my IC7-MAX3 is as follows

Primary Master: DVD-RW
Primary Slave : none
Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
Secondary Slave: none
SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
SATA2: Seagate 120GB
SATA3: Seagate 120GB
SATA4: Seagate 120GB
SATA5: none
SATA6: none

that setup works fine
my first attempt:

Primary Master: DVD-RW
Primary Slave : none
Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
Secondary Slave: Seagate 160GB
SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
SATA2: Seagate 120GB
SATA3: none
SATA4: none
SATA5: none
SATA6: none

would either not allow me to boot from a SATA drive, or would simply hang
the system just before it attempts to load an O/S. I once had a similar
problem on my Gigabyte board, temporarily solved by running the SATA in
Combined mode, meaning i had to run my ROM drives on the same channel as i
lost the secondary channel due to SATA mapping. That was eventually fixed
in a later BIOS. Abit doesn't seem to have fixed this.

Make sure PCI IDE Busmaster is enabled in the BIOS.

Steve

Loupole

Hey Stephen

This is my set up tell me what you think...

PM Asus 52x CD Rom
PS LG DVD Rom
SM LG CD Writer
SATA 1 120GB Seagate
SATA 2 120GB Seagate

What do you think I should do.....

Loupole

"Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_ANjc.133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello People !!
> >
> > I was testing the Raid on the abit ic7 max 3 motherboard works fine and

> > had nothing wrong with it...But decided to go back to Sata\ide and now

> when
> > I try to install windows its tells me my harddrives are not config right

> and
> > it crashes and won't even dectect my harddrives anymore...What is going
> > on...I am at a loose end...And also why doesn't my Sata work with the
> > harddrive anymore its only after I raided the drives this has

happen...Now
> > my harddrives are working in IDE for now but not with the Sata
> > controller....Is there a settting or something or have I done something
> > wrong and maybe damged my motherboard.....
> >
> > Before I didn't see my hard drives under the system IDE ATA\ATAPI
> > Controllers now its there when it didn't use to be....
> >
> > Loupole
> >
> > Ps Please Help !!
> >

> Dunno if this is what you mean, but i was completely unable to get my

system
> to boot to a SATA drive on the first or second port (the ones on the Intel
> chipset controller) while i had a standard IDE drive plugged in.
>
> I ended up putting my 160GB IDE in to my other PC and purchased two new
> 120GB SATA drives which now occupy the first two ports on the Silicon

Image
> controller.
>
> So the setup on my IC7-MAX3 is as follows
>
> Primary Master: DVD-RW
> Primary Slave : none
> Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
> Secondary Slave: none
> SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
> SATA2: Seagate 120GB
> SATA3: Seagate 120GB
> SATA4: Seagate 120GB
> SATA5: none
> SATA6: none
>
> that setup works fine
> my first attempt:
>
> Primary Master: DVD-RW
> Primary Slave : none
> Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
> Secondary Slave: Seagate 160GB
> SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
> SATA2: Seagate 120GB
> SATA3: none
> SATA4: none
> SATA5: none
> SATA6: none
>
> would either not allow me to boot from a SATA drive, or would simply hang
> the system just before it attempts to load an O/S. I once had a similar
> problem on my Gigabyte board, temporarily solved by running the SATA in
> Combined mode, meaning i had to run my ROM drives on the same channel as i
> lost the secondary channel due to SATA mapping. That was eventually fixed
> in a later BIOS. Abit doesn't seem to have fixed this.
>
> Make sure PCI IDE Busmaster is enabled in the BIOS.
>
> Steve

Loupole

Thanks Stephen you are help full I might need to set it up like yours
now....

"Stephen Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_ANjc.133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello People !!
> >
> > I was testing the Raid on the abit ic7 max 3 motherboard works fine and

> > had nothing wrong with it...But decided to go back to Sata\ide and now

> when
> > I try to install windows its tells me my harddrives are not config right

> and
> > it crashes and won't even dectect my harddrives anymore...What is going
> > on...I am at a loose end...And also why doesn't my Sata work with the
> > harddrive anymore its only after I raided the drives this has

happen...Now
> > my harddrives are working in IDE for now but not with the Sata
> > controller....Is there a settting or something or have I done something
> > wrong and maybe damged my motherboard.....
> >
> > Before I didn't see my hard drives under the system IDE ATA\ATAPI
> > Controllers now its there when it didn't use to be....
> >
> > Loupole
> >
> > Ps Please Help !!
> >

> Dunno if this is what you mean, but i was completely unable to get my

system
> to boot to a SATA drive on the first or second port (the ones on the Intel
> chipset controller) while i had a standard IDE drive plugged in.
>
> I ended up putting my 160GB IDE in to my other PC and purchased two new
> 120GB SATA drives which now occupy the first two ports on the Silicon

Image
> controller.
>
> So the setup on my IC7-MAX3 is as follows
>
> Primary Master: DVD-RW
> Primary Slave : none
> Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
> Secondary Slave: none
> SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
> SATA2: Seagate 120GB
> SATA3: Seagate 120GB
> SATA4: Seagate 120GB
> SATA5: none
> SATA6: none
>
> that setup works fine
> my first attempt:
>
> Primary Master: DVD-RW
> Primary Slave : none
> Secondary Master : DVD-Combo
> Secondary Slave: Seagate 160GB
> SATA1: WD 36GB Raptor
> SATA2: Seagate 120GB
> SATA3: none
> SATA4: none
> SATA5: none
> SATA6: none
>
> would either not allow me to boot from a SATA drive, or would simply hang
> the system just before it attempts to load an O/S. I once had a similar
> problem on my Gigabyte board, temporarily solved by running the SATA in
> Combined mode, meaning i had to run my ROM drives on the same channel as i
> lost the secondary channel due to SATA mapping. That was eventually fixed
> in a later BIOS. Abit doesn't seem to have fixed this.
>
> Make sure PCI IDE Busmaster is enabled in the BIOS.
>
> Steve

Stephen Williams

"Loupole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1ATjc.1660$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Stephen
>
> This is my set up tell me what you think...
>
> PM Asus 52x CD Rom
> PS LG DVD Rom
> SM LG CD Writer
> SATA 1 120GB Seagate
> SATA 2 120GB Seagate
>
> What do you think I should do.....
>
> Loupole

So i take it those drives are on the two SATA ports that sit about a quarter
of the way up from the bottom of the board, not on any of the 4 across the
bottom of the board?

If you can't install windows on to them, i would suspect that the boot order
in the BIOS is wrong, or perhaps you have the SATA ports set to combined
mode rather than enhanced mode. I don't think Abit actually uses the terms
Enhanced or Combined.

Look in the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals then OnChip IDE Device. If
you don't want RAID, it should look like this:

OnChip Serial ATA Mode: IDE
- SATA RAID ROM: Disabled
OnChip Serial ATA: Manual
- Serial ATA 1 Mode: IDE-3 Master
- Serial ATA 2 Mode: IDE-4 Master

Remember, OnChip means the first two SATA ports. The other 4 ports are
found under Onboard PCI Device and you can disable that Serial ATA
Controller if you have no drives on the 4 ports at the bottom of the board.

Steve