Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Damn latency with Jetsurf

Damn latency with Jetsurf

Since moving to Jetsurf from Jetstart, my flatmate complains about lag
during games. With no downloads going on it all seems okay, but even a
modest 10 Kb/s http download seems to cause bad ping times now and then
somewhere with in Telecom's network.

Anyone know what is going on (are Telecom got wierd queues on Jetsurf or
something)?

Tracing route to www.orcon.net.nz [219.88.241.90]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RTA300U.lan [192.168.1.1]
2 57 ms 66 ms 57 ms 210-55-64-32.adsl.netgate.net.nz
[210.55.64.32]

3 67 ms 81 ms 173 ms 192.168.253.1
4 638 ms 177 ms 75 ms 202.50.119.153
5 80 ms 67 ms 68 ms orcon-dom2.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
[202.50.245.242]
6 68 ms 69 ms 67 ms fe-colocation-core.nct.orcon.net.nz
[219.88.242.244]
7 76 ms 81 ms 74 ms www.orcon.net.nz [219.88.241.90]

Trace complete.

Bruce Simpson

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:22:11 +1200, a <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since moving to Jetsurf from Jetstart, my flatmate complains about lag
>during games. With no downloads going on it all seems okay, but even a
>modest 10 Kb/s http download seems to cause bad ping times now and then
>somewhere with in Telecom's network.
>
>Anyone know what is going on (are Telecom got wierd queues on Jetsurf or
>something)?

Yeah, not only am I seeing significant delays in DNS lookups but I'm
now also getting really bursty transfers through my JetSurf flat-rate
connection. And I'm still nowhere near the 10GB cap.

Maybe Telecom has just overcommitted all its bandwidth.

Remember, they do say "speeds UP TO xxxKbps"

EMB

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
a <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:

> Tracing route to www.orcon.net.nz [219.88.241.90]
> over a maximum of 30 hops:

2 219.88.186.1 47ms 31ms 31ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
3 203.96.122.57 47ms 31ms 32ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
4 202.50.245.193 47ms 31ms 31ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
5 202.37.246.20 47ms 32ms 31ms TTL: 0
(f4-0-1-6.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz ok)
6 202.50.245.242 31ms 31ms 31ms TTL: 0
(orcon-dom2.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz ok)
7 219.88.242.244 47ms 47ms 47ms TTL: 0
(fe-colocation-core.nct.orcon.net.nz ok)
8 219.88.241.90 46ms 32ms 47ms TTL: 57 (www.orcon.net.nz ok)

Ok here on ihug Jet Surf

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

Mr Scebe

"Bruce Simpson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yeah, not only am I seeing significant delays in DNS lookups but I'm
> now also getting really bursty transfers through my JetSurf flat-rate
> connection. And I'm still nowhere near the 10GB cap.

Irregularly (though more often in the last couple of days) i have had
delays, but overall the experience with Jetsmurf is that it's significantly
faster than Jetstart.

Tracing route to www.telstra.com [144.135.19.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms x.x.x.x
2 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms x.x.x.x.jetstream.xtra.co.nz [x.x.x.x]
3 40 ms 30 ms 30 ms 203.96.122.59
4 30 ms 40 ms 30 ms 202.50.245.198
5 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms 202.50.245.197
6 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms g2-0-3.tkbr3.global-gateway.net.nz
[202.37.245.140]
7 30 ms 30 ms 30 ms so-1-2-3-0.akbr3.global-gateway.net.nz
[202.37.246.253]
8 60 ms 50 ms 61 ms p1-7.sybr2.global-gateway.net.nz
[202.37.245.58]
9 51 ms 60 ms 50 ms 203.96.120.142
10 60 ms 50 ms 60 ms pos3-0-3.bdr3.hay.connect.com.au
[210.8.219.174]
11 50 ms 60 ms 60 ms POS2-0.ken22.Sydney.telstra.net
[139.130.4.249]
12 60 ms 50 ms 50 ms
GigabitEthernet10-0.ken-core4.Sydney.telstra.net [203.50.20.1]
13 50 ms 60 ms 51 ms GigabitEthernet1-1.pit1.Sydney.telstra.net
[203.50.13.2]
14 50 ms 50 ms 60 ms pitt-tcom-r01 [139.130.185.254]
15 50 ms 60 ms 50 ms 144.135.19.84
16 60 ms 50 ms 60 ms 144.135.19.10

Trace complete.

60ms across the ditch is excellent, imo.

> Maybe Telecom has just overcommitted all its bandwidth.
>
> Remember, they do say "speeds UP TO xxxKbps"

I imagine that's to cover themselves against sites having low bandwidth. It
also allows them to traffic shape, which is a bit of a ****er.

Tonight i've noticed that the "attacks" on my firewall have dropped away
considerably from the last couple of days as well - so maybe there has been
something going on behind the scenes.

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.

Mr Scebe

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6nsgd$8bn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),

<snippy>
> 7 219.88.242.244 47ms 47ms 47ms TTL: 0
> (fe-colocation-core.nct.orcon.net.nz ok)
> 8 219.88.241.90 46ms 32ms 47ms TTL: 57 (www.orcon.net.nz ok)

4 50 ms 40 ms 41 ms 202.50.245.193
5 40 ms 41 ms 40 ms f4-0-1-6.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
[202.37.246.20]
6 40 ms 40 ms 40 ms orcon-dom2.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
[202.50.245.242]
7 40 ms 40 ms 40 ms fe-colocation-core.nct.orcon.net.nz
[219.88.242.244]
8 40 ms 50 ms 40 ms www.orcon.net.nz [219.88.241.90]

Same here, on Xtra Jetsmurf.

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.
Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

samg

a <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Since moving to Jetsurf from Jetstart, my flatmate complains about lag
> during games. With no downloads going on it all seems okay, but even a
> modest 10 Kb/s http download seems to cause bad ping times now and then
> somewhere with in Telecom's network.
>
> Anyone know what is going on (are Telecom got wierd queues on Jetsurf or
> something)?

didnt they change their system a while back which resulted in exactly this
effect?

Nicholas Sherlock

samg wrote:
> a <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Since moving to Jetsurf from Jetstart, my flatmate complains about
>> lag during games. With no downloads going on it all seems okay, but
>> even a modest 10 Kb/s http download seems to cause bad ping times
>> now and then somewhere with in Telecom's network.
>>
>> Anyone know what is going on (are Telecom got wierd queues on
>> Jetsurf or something)?
>>

> didnt they change their system a while back which resulted in exactly
> this effect?

Yes, they gave TCP packets priority over UDP packets (TCP used for
webbrowsing/downloading, UDP generally used for games).

So surfing at the same time as playing an internet game is a big no-no.. .

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Don Gould

Hummm.... new day, same news.

The only way 'we' get these issues fixed is to get more people using the
network.

More users gives the provider justification to add more resources.

More users also put more stress on the system which then impacts on all
users which cause more support costs which in turn puts pressure on to
beter resource the network.

Have you sent the help desk an email about this issue?
Have you telephoned them and asked for their comment?

Hummm.... I wonder if we will have to see things get to the same level
of poor service and service outages as users of BigPond in Australia had
to before these sorts of problems go away?

Cheers Don
a wrote:

> Since moving to Jetsurf from Jetstart, my flatmate complains about lag
> during games. With no downloads going on it all seems okay, but even a
> modest 10 Kb/s http download seems to cause bad ping times now and then
> somewhere with in Telecom's network.
>
> Anyone know what is going on (are Telecom got wierd queues on Jetsurf or
> something)?
>

> Tracing route to www.orcon.net.nz [219.88.241.90]
> over a maximum of 30 hops:
>
> 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RTA300U.lan [192.168.1.1]
> 2 57 ms 66 ms 57 ms 210-55-64-32.adsl.netgate.net.nz
> [210.55.64.32]
>
> 3 67 ms 81 ms 173 ms 192.168.253.1
> 4 638 ms 177 ms 75 ms 202.50.119.153
> 5 80 ms 67 ms 68 ms orcon-dom2.akcr5.global-gateway.net.nz
> [202.50.245.242]
> 6 68 ms 69 ms 67 ms fe-colocation-core.nct.orcon.net.nz
> [219.88.242.244]
> 7 76 ms 81 ms 74 ms www.orcon.net.nz [219.88.241.90]
>
> Trace complete.

In article <YF3lc.1063$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hummm.... new day, same news.
>
> The only way 'we' get these issues fixed is to get more people using the
> network.
>
> More users gives the provider justification to add more resources.
>
> More users also put more stress on the system which then impacts on all
> users which cause more support costs which in turn puts pressure on to
> beter resource the network.
>
> Have you sent the help desk an email about this issue?
> Have you telephoned them and asked for their comment?

Yes and I got a response saying it was supposed to be fixed.
It still isn't though. Something from Dunedin to Auckland is just plain
stuffed.

> Hummm.... I wonder if we will have to see things get to the same level
> of poor service and service outages as users of BigPond in Australia had
> to before these sorts of problems go away?
>
> Cheers Don
> a wrote:

Probably. Monopoly, monopoly, monopoly.

snip

Gordon Smith

"Bruce Simpson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yeah, not only am I seeing significant delays in DNS lookups but I'm
> now also getting really bursty transfers through my JetSurf flat-rate
> connection. And I'm still nowhere near the 10GB cap.
>
> Maybe Telecom has just overcommitted all its bandwidth.
>
> Remember, they do say "speeds UP TO xxxKbps"

Nope... thats just how packet queues on routers work by default. The usual
default is a FIFO queue. In order to even out flows, you'd want to have
something like WFQ (weighted fair queuing)
Juggling queue algorithms and buckets sizes is quite a complex issue - why
would they want to go to the time and effort of implementing QoS on DSL for
nil ROI?