Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Occ Health

Occ Health

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Is there a doctor in the house?

My mouse hand is getting pins an needles after about 6 hours of use each
day(note: I started at 8 , and well, it's begining to concern me.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Chair etc are the right height according to the H&S chicks here at work.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

riff

Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this site
for more information and do your excercises
cheers
http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6nb4c$dtu2i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Is there a doctor in the house?
>
> My mouse hand is getting pins an needles after about 6 hours of use each
> day(note: I started at 8 , and well, it's begining to concern me.
>
> Is this something I should be worried about?
>
> Chair etc are the right height according to the H&S chicks here at work.
>
> --
> Dave Hall
> http://Dave.net.nz
> We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

Bruce Sinclair

In article <c6nb4c$dtu2i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
>Is there a doctor in the house?

It's not me if there is

>My mouse hand is getting pins an needles after about 6 hours of use each
>day(note: I started at 8 , and well, it's begining to concern me.
>
>Is this something I should be worried about?

Yes. Or to rephrase ... "hell yes".

>Chair etc are the right height according to the H&S chicks here at work.

Try using the other hand. It'll take you 4-6 weeks to forget you've
changed ... and it'll be well worth it.
Make sure you are sitting up straight too ... your head should be over
your neck .. not flopping forward as it so often does when we get
engrossed

HTH

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

EMB

In news:c6nb4c$dtu2i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:
> Is there a doctor in the house?
>
> My mouse hand is getting pins an needles after about 6 hours of use
> each day(note: I started at 8 , and well, it's begining to concern
> me.
>
> Is this something I should be worried about?
>
> Chair etc are the right height according to the H&S chicks here at
> work.

Worry big time Dave. This is how my wife's OOS started out and it's only
ever got worse. Have a serious look at the 3M ergonomic mice at
http://www.3m.com/cws/renmouse.html - they seem to help.

--
EMB
change two to number to reply

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

riff wrote:
> Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this site
> for more information and do your excercises
> cheers
> http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

Bugger... thats what I suspected.
Thanks for the link.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Dave Taylor

"riff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VCGjc.55$(E-Mail Removed):

> Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this
> site for more information and do your excercises
> cheers
> http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

I recommend this program if you are running windows. It is free.
http://www.workrave.org/

Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns94D9B875E71A8daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.9 3.13:

> "riff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VCGjc.55$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this
>> site for more information and do your excercises
>> cheers
>> http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html
>>

> I recommend this program if you are running windows. It is free.
> http://www.workrave.org/
>
> Ciao, Dave

Hmm, has linux version too!

Tim

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c6neje$demic$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> riff wrote:
>> Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out
>> this site for more information and do your excercises
>> cheers
>> http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

> Bugger... thats what I suspected.
> Thanks for the link.

http://www.catspaw.com/

I use one of those, has helped a lot. Took about a month of using it each
day for pain to go away, and now I only need to use it occasionally (every
few weeks) as a top up when pain comes back.

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Dave Taylor wrote:
> I recommend this program if you are running windows. It is free.
> http://www.workrave.org/

according to the site it runs on GNU/Linux too.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

AD.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:42:48 +1200, riff wrote:

> Sounds like the classic signs for OOS or carpal tunnel. Check out this
> site for more information and do your excercises cheers
> http://creators.co.nz/OOSinjuries.html

It's also important to keep in mind that nearly all the time the actual
problem isn't carpal tunnel syndrome or tendinitis etc etc they are
usually symptoms rather than causes. It is a complex issue, with many
different types of problems and symptoms.

Most often these symptoms manifest themselves due to inflammation and/or
constriction of nerves further upstream in your neck or shoulders.

People that just get treatment for carpal tunnel will get some temporary
relief, but it will crop up again because it wasn't their carpal tunnel
actually causing the problem.

If it's early days for you, you can probably avoid further problems by
improving your posture, not gripping the mouse as hard, relaxing your
neck and shoulder muscles, not working as long hours, getting more
exercise etc.

If it's a bit more serious, getting massage therapy from someone who knows
about this stuff could be needed. If the therapist wants to concentrate
mostly on your shoulders and neck etc then they are probably on the right
track. It could take many months to improve because nerves heal slower
than most other tissues.

Also, avoid surgery - it never seems to work long term.

Cheers
Anton