Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Abit KT7 CPU's

Abit KT7 CPU's

John B

Anyone know if I can use a 266Mhz Athlon 2200XP cpu with my Abit KT7 mb. KT7
manual says for cpu's 200MHz (100Mhz double data rate).

Thanks.
--
John B

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

John B wrote:
> Anyone know if I can use a 266Mhz Athlon 2200XP cpu with my Abit KT7 mb. KT7
> manual says for cpu's 200MHz (100Mhz double data rate).

According to the manual, it says that it only supports 100/200 but the
KT7A supports 133/266 bus speed... in saying that, I don't know how high
the multiplier goes, it uses a system called "Softmenu III" which means
you set it in the bios(assuming it'll boot), it seems to suggest that it
tops out at 1250MHz, so you'll probably be out of luck, although if you
have the motherboard and CPU, you can but try.

You may be able to use it set at 100/200MHz and "see how it goes"
although it will be running slower than it should.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

John B

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6n9qt$e4osn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> John B wrote:
> > Anyone know if I can use a 266Mhz Athlon 2200XP cpu with my Abit KT7 mb. KT7
> > manual says for cpu's 200MHz (100Mhz double data rate).

> According to the manual, it says that it only supports 100/200 but the
> KT7A supports 133/266 bus speed... in saying that, I don't know how high
> the multiplier goes, it uses a system called "Softmenu III" which means
> you set it in the bios(assuming it'll boot), it seems to suggest that it
> tops out at 1250MHz, so you'll probably be out of luck, although if you
> have the motherboard and CPU, you can but try.

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Might spring for the cpu and try it.
Then again, might wait until I can get the new KV7 mb and buy an even faster
cpu.

> You may be able to use it set at 100/200MHz and "see how it goes"
> although it will be running slower than it should.
>
> --
> Dave Hall
> http://Dave.net.nz
> We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

John B

EMB

In news:icHjc.65$(E-Mail Removed),
John B <(E-Mail Removed)> expelled:

> Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. Might spring for the cpu
> and try it. Then again, might wait until I can get the new KV7 mb and
> buy an even faster cpu.

A faster disk and graphics card will probably give you a better return in
performace/$ than just going for a faster CPU. The difference between my
old 1.4GHz Athlon and XP2500+ is not great!

--
EMB
change two to number to reply