Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I need help in trying to get hi-fi audio out from my computer

I need help in trying to get hi-fi audio out from my computer

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com

Hi all

I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.

The questions I have are:

1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
amplifier?

2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?

3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
this?

4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
can be individually selected?

Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
it?

Thanks in advance for your help

--
To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen to type:
<tpf>
>> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
>> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
>> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
>> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.
>>
>> The questions I have are:
>>
>> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
>> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
>> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
>> amplifier?
>>
>> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
>> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
>> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?
>>
>> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
>> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
>> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
>> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
>> this?
>>
>> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
>> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
>> can be individually selected?
>>
>> Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
>> it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help

>I have a friend who has made is own IR interface that conectects to

the
>seral port of his computer, and then he got a cheap remote from cash
>converts or whatevea and programed the buttens to do what he

wanted... he
>run's linux.. and i dont know how he did it if you like i could ask

him.

I'd like. I'd like VERY much (having a few difficulties getting
sound/midi to work properly). Likewise if they can recomend an mp3
player.

Thanks

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

Tim Price

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:34:25 +1200, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.
>
> The questions I have are:
>
> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
> amplifier?
>
> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?
>
> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
> this?

Any nvidia or ATI card with Video in / Out will do the job.

> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
> can be individually selected?
>
> Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
> it?

The answer to the rest of your questions can probably be achieved by
getting one of the higher end Creative sound cards. They tend to give you
all sorts of cool stuff like remote controls that can control their
creative media center software.

> Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel

I have a friend who has made is own IR interface that conectects to the
seral port of his computer, and then he got a cheap remote from cash
converts or whatevea and programed the buttens to do what he wanted... he
run's linux.. and i dont know how he did it if you like i could ask him.

Daniel

> Hi all
>
> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.
>
> The questions I have are:
>
> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
> amplifier?
>
> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?
>
> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
> this?
>
> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
> can be individually selected?
>
> Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help

Andrew Dixon

Check out www.lirc.org for the remote control side of things (linux
software). and http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/ for the windows version.

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:Crmjc.4898$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> was seen

to type:
> <tpf>
> >> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
> >> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
> >> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
> >> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.
> >>
> >> The questions I have are:
> >>
> >> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
> >> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
> >> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
> >> amplifier?
> >>
> >> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
> >> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
> >> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?
> >>
> >> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
> >> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
> >> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
> >> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
> >> this?
> >>
> >> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
> >> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
> >> can be individually selected?
> >>
> >> Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
> >> it?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your help

> >I have a friend who has made is own IR interface that conectects to

> the
> >seral port of his computer, and then he got a cheap remote from cash
> >converts or whatevea and programed the buttens to do what he

> wanted... he
> >run's linux.. and i dont know how he did it if you like i could ask

> him.
>
> I'd like. I'd like VERY much (having a few difficulties getting
> sound/midi to work properly). Likewise if they can recomend an mp3
> player.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bruce

> It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to
> think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
> If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
> Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
> of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do
> the bad things. <=> Terry Pratchett. Jingo.

Dave Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all
>
> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.
>
> The questions I have are:
>
> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
> amplifier?
>
> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?
>
> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
> this?
>
> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
> can be individually selected?
>
> Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help

Unless your stereo cost thousands of dollars, just get the cheapest sound
card and use winamp to play the music. You aren't going to be capturing
MIDI, so paying extra for good midi support is a total waste of money.
Playing music CDs or MP3s does not need those 3D effects or 5.1 decoding
available on fancy cards. You will playing 2 channel sounds using a line
out jack, or the speaker out on the back of the card, so save your money
and buy a $20.00 sound card. If you want you could spend outragous
amounts for features you don't need. If winamp stalls a little, set the
priority a little higher using the config menu in the program. My friend
plays his music using winamp on a Cyrix 686 with 80 Megs of RAM. If it
can do it without drop outs, then any Celeron or Pentium can.
Ciao, Dave

brundlefly

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.
>
> The questions I have are:
>
> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
> amplifier?
>
> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?
>
> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
> this?
>
> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
> can be individually selected?
>
> Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
>

> --
> To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
> (E-Mail Removed)

Check this out.
http://www.krome.co.nz/products/product_squeezebox.htm
I'm very happy with mine.
Its got a great display, excellent software, remote control and its not
dependent on a sound card at all.
You can run several with different playlists or run PCs with various clients
as well.
You can use any networked PC with a browser as a playlist controller, and
there are all sorts of skins to suit handhelds, touch screens and
televisions.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:34:25 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
>changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
>these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
>the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.
>
>The questions I have are:
>
>1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
>any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
>computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
>amplifier?
>
>2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
>computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
>CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?

A full stereo CD Takes up to more than 800meg of space, so it looks like you
need a 80 gig drive to hold all these CD's..

>3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
>the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
>see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
>programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
>this?

Only in very low res mode, a TV is not a good device for this.

>4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
>interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
>can be individually selected?

Yes dearer Creative sound cards come with a remote..

>Phew, I know this is a big ask, but can it be done and how would I do
>it?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help

Richard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.

> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
> amplifier?

Avoid creative for anything audio related - games and 3d audio they are good,
but good clean 2 channel they are not.

> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?

I use foobar2000 (www.foobar2000.org) - it handles playing cuesheets and
compressed files very elegantly, I compress the wav files with flac, taking
30-40% off the size of them, and then edit the cue sheet to reflect the
compressed filename. Put the cuesheet into foobar and all the tracks are there,
names and all.

> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
> this?

Cheap ati with tv out. the ati seems more readable in 1024x768 then nvidias

> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
> can be individually selected?

There are many of them, commercial and homebrew. Be aware of the simple one that
connects to your com port tho, it doesnt work well when the cpu isnt idle.

The GHOST of WOGER.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:52:33 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have something like 100 audio CDs which I am fed up with keep on
>> changing on my Hi-Fi's CD player. I would like to be able to copy all
>> these CDs onto my computers' large hard disc drive and then connect
>> the sound card from my computer into my hi-fi's amplifier.

>> 1) what type of sound card ( i.e. what specifications to look for and
>> any recommended makes/models) would I need to buy to ensure that the
>> computer can deliver hi-fi (i.e. CD player) quality into my hi-fi
>> amplifier?

>Avoid creative for anything audio related - games and 3d audio they are good,
>but good clean 2 channel they are not.

Read the Info on the Audigy 2 ZS it takes a lot of beating, so you are WRONG,
I have a Digital full review of that cards its fantastic..

>> 2) What would be a clean and efficient programme to run on the
>> computer to enable playing (ideally in a random order) of the stored
>> CDs (i.e. .wav files) on the hard disc?

>I use foobar2000 (www.foobar2000.org) - it handles playing cuesheets and
>compressed files very elegantly, I compress the wav files with flac, taking
>30-40% off the size of them, and then edit the cue sheet to reflect the
>compressed filename. Put the cuesheet into foobar and all the tracks are there,
>names and all.

Hi did refer the Hi-Fi lot Crap MP3's

>> 3) ultimately I would like to be able to connect the video output of
>> the computer into my TV's auxiliary input (via S-Video) so that I can
>> see what tracks are being played by the computer's media player
>> programme in 2) above. What would be a good video card to achieve
>> this?

>Cheap ati with tv out. the ati seems more readable in 1024x768 then nvidias

And LOW RES, TV's are Crap for THAT..

>> 4) finally, is there a way of using a programmable remote control to
>> interface with the computer's media player programme so that tracks
>> can be individually selected?

>There are many of them, commercial and homebrew. Be aware of the simple one that
>connects to your com port tho, it doesnt work well when the cpu isnt idle.

Just get a Audigy and stop stuffing around..