Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FreeBSD - Pardon me but...

FreeBSD - Pardon me but...

Nihil

...are there any currently active New Zealand based user groups out there
who admire BSD. Particulary FreeBSD? Any info would be nice.

Thanks...

--
....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

Matthew Poole

There's a FreeBSD UG linked off http://www.linux.net.nz

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

whoisthis

Nihil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ..are there any currently active New Zealand based user groups out there
> who admire BSD. Particulary FreeBSD? Any info would be nice.
>
> Thanks...

Well there is every Mac user running OSX...it is BSD based

Nihil

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:54:54 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> Well there is every Mac user running OSX...it is BSD based

Shame on me, I actually didn't know that.

Are we talking the core of the OS or just the tcp/ip stack?

--
....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

Chris Hope

Nihil wrote:

>> Well there is every Mac user running OSX...it is BSD based

> Shame on me, I actually didn't know that.
>
> Are we talking the core of the OS or just the tcp/ip stack?

It's the core of the OS. AFAIK it's now a pretty Mac GUI sitting on top of a
stable and robust variant of 4.4BSD, so you can compile Unix-based software
on your Mac.

You can read more info at http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

(Darwin is the name of their BSD variant)

--
Chris Hope
The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

Nihil

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:40:54 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

>> Are we talking the core of the OS or just the tcp/ip stack?

> It's the core of the OS. AFAIK it's now a pretty Mac GUI sitting on top of a
> stable and robust variant of 4.4BSD, so you can compile Unix-based software
> on your Mac.
>
> You can read more info at http://developer.apple.com/darwin/
>
> (Darwin is the name of their BSD variant)

Dude thanks for the info, I shall read more...

--

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:17:38 GMT, Matthew Poole wrote:

> In article <116hhumqx6qtr.10lwyajh7f710$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nihil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>...are there any currently active New Zealand based user groups out there
>>who admire BSD. Particulary FreeBSD? Any info would be nice.
>>

> There's a FreeBSD UG linked off http://www.linux.net.nz

Tah, I've been looking at adding a machine with FreeBSD to my LAN and may
require some help/advice. This BSD based Apple OS looks interesting too.
I need to do some research...

--

Nihil wrote:

> Tah, I've been looking at adding a machine with FreeBSD to my LAN and may
> require some help/advice. This BSD based Apple OS looks interesting too.
> I need to do some research...

It's the first time I've ever been interested in buying a Mac. You can get
some pretty cheap eMacs that were just released a couple of weeks back.

http://www.magnummac.co.nz/
http://store.apple.co.nz/

Not sure who else has them online but you can also buy Macs from Harvey
Norman and BigByte (if you're in Auckland).

--
Chris Hope
The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nihil wrote:
>
> > Tah, I've been looking at adding a machine with FreeBSD to my LAN and may
> > require some help/advice. This BSD based Apple OS looks interesting too.
> > I need to do some research...

> It's the first time I've ever been interested in buying a Mac. You can get
> some pretty cheap eMacs that were just released a couple of weeks back.
>
> http://www.magnummac.co.nz/
> http://store.apple.co.nz/
>
> Not sure who else has them online but you can also buy Macs from Harvey
> Norman and BigByte (if you're in Auckland).

Also try www.totallymac.com, has good prices and FREE shipping.

And yes, all new machines come with OSX which has the BSD core
and has apache, etc etc etc installed too.

I am happily running a squid proxy on my old G3 as well
as Webmin, Fink, etc. Ran GIMP for a wee while...it sucked
compared to photoshop, and open office is being ported. I
am looking a putting php, mysql, and setting up a Blog/Wiki
etc.