Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Blasting from the past

Blasting from the past

Gordon

http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html

For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.

I was doing a dung out and came across Telix as a printed word. Thought I
would see how Google handled it. The URL above is the result, or one of
them.

Like my earlier cars it brought me to many places.

Kristofer Clayton

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:52:50 +1200, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html

Telix for DOS is an awesome program, and to this day it is still used
occasionally in the business I work for to data download/upload to the
phone system.

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Alan Howard

Have to love that footer:

"This page is Netscape 2.0/MSIE 2.0 enhanced, and may not appear correctly
in other browsers."

Some things never change

news(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html
>
> For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.
>
> I was doing a dung out and came across Telix as a printed word. Thought I
> would see how Google handled it. The URL above is the result, or one of
> them.
>
> Like my earlier cars it brought me to many places.

Rob

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html
>
> For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.
>
> I was doing a dung out and came across Telix as a printed word. Thought I
> would see how Google handled it. The URL above is the result, or one of
> them.
>
> Like my earlier cars it brought me to many places.

And let's not forget Telemate - the archrival comms program to
Telix...... well it was when I was at Polytech.

When I went to Windows I bought ZOC (Zap-O-Comm). Still going strong
today and is a very powerful terminal programme. Used it a while back
to SSH into a FreeBSD box.

steve

Gordon wrote:
> http://www.telix.com/delta/products/index.html
>
> For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.
>
> I was doing a dung out and came across Telix as a printed word. Thought I
> would see how Google handled it. The URL above is the result, or one of
> them.
>
> Like my earlier cars it brought me to many places.

Me, too.

I used Telix until I converted to TE/2 on OS/2.

Then, I went to minicom on Linux....at which point the web was born.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.

We used Kermit a lot in those days, because it was free and available
for just about every conceivable plaform. I made sure the hardware
technicians kept a good collection of RS-232C cables on hand, I can tell
you. And the breakout box got a frequent workout.

I remember a lecturer had a file on his Commodore 64 that had some
control characters in it that needed changing. The only editor I knew of
that was capable of making such changes without completely munging the
file was TECO on the VAX. With Kermit available on both platforms, I
could transfer the file, make the edit, and transfer it back.

Keith

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ldo@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.

> We used Kermit a lot in those days, because it was free and available
> for just about every conceivable plaform. I made sure the hardware
> technicians kept a good collection of RS-232C cables on hand, I can tell
> you. And the breakout box got a frequent workout.

I thought Kermit was a protocol rather than a programme? Stretching back
in the dull recesses of my DOS days I think we used to use Procomm+ as
out comms utility.

(I only biffed my old home-made breakout box last year we we did an
office shift).

pbs

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>For those of you who were here before the media used the word Internet.

> We used Kermit a lot in those days, because it was free and available
> for just about every conceivable plaform. I made sure the hardware
> technicians kept a good collection of RS-232C cables on hand, I can tell
> you. And the breakout box got a frequent workout.
>
> I remember a lecturer had a file on his Commodore 64 that had some
> control characters in it that needed changing. The only editor I knew of
> that was capable of making such changes without completely munging the
> file was TECO on the VAX. With Kermit available on both platforms, I
> could transfer the file, make the edit, and transfer it back.

Putting on a Yorkshire accent: Child's Play. A sysadmin at the London
School of Economics wrote an comms assembler program which assembled to
about 640 bytes of machine code. It would send data across the serial
ports of 2 machines. It did speed setting and handshaking which PIP.COM
did not do. Once on a new CPM machine, this program could be used port a
binary Kermit which could be used to communicate with the VAXs and other
CPM machines. BUT getting it onto the new machine was not easy, as not
all CPM machines came with assemblers and the floppy disk formats were
usually incompatible between machines. The easiest method was to key in
the 640 bytes!

AL Downloading Ltd http://www.aldownloading.co.uk/ was founded by a
couple of young teenagers (The Laurie lads) to meet the demands of
companies to move data from CPM (and other computer media) to another
formats and it is still in business doing data conversions.

pbs

Keith wrote:

> I thought Kermit was a protocol rather than a programme? Stretching back

It is both. http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/kermit.html

Craig Shore

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:47:43 +1200, pbs
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Keith wrote:
>
>> I thought Kermit was a protocol rather than a programme? Stretching back

>It is both. http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/kermit.html

Very interesting stuff on there against OSS, and on a site it links
to,
http://linuxrouter.org/