Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: linux distro

Re: linux distro

snarkhunter

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:13:03 +1200, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> I have a Debian-based system here (Xandros 2.0 Standard) that runs
>> very well in a PII-350 with 256MB of RAM. I would not call it a
>> "slow" system. If I installed Win XP, I might.....but I have no
>> plans to do that. It runs too well on Linux.

> I installed XP on a machine lower than this which admittedly was
> rather slow to begin with, but after a few tweaks, it runs like a
> dream... It really depends on how machines are setup as to how they
> perform, the Os seems to matter little.

The OS matters quite a bit if it allows you to substitute a
leaner/faster GUI layer like blackbox, or even a super-fast text-only
UI.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

snarkhunter wrote:
>>>I have a Debian-based system here (Xandros 2.0 Standard) that runs
>>>very well in a PII-350 with 256MB of RAM. I would not call it a
>>>"slow" system. If I installed Win XP, I might.....but I have no
>>>plans to do that. It runs too well on Linux.

>>I installed XP on a machine lower than this which admittedly was
>>rather slow to begin with, but after a few tweaks, it runs like a
>>dream... It really depends on how machines are setup as to how they
>>perform, the Os seems to matter little.

> The OS matters quite a bit if it allows you to substitute a
> leaner/faster GUI layer like blackbox, or even a super-fast text-only
> UI.

only if you want/need to. If the machine runs fine with "insert window
manager name here" then there is no need for the ability to change it.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

python linux distro azrael Python 10 02-10-2007 10:52 AM
Re: Is there a "Best Linux distro for dual-booting" chart? Richard Sorgen Computer Support 0 08-21-2006 01:37 PM
Consumer-Friendly Linux Distro Found in Linspire Five-O Au79 Computer Support 3 07-25-2006 07:43 PM
Stunning Linux Distro Au79 Computer Support 0 04-18-2006 04:21 PM
linux distro requirements John Jay Smith Computer Support 1 02-16-2006 03:15 PM

Advertisments