Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Cheap, good digital camera?

Re: Cheap, good digital camera?

Craig Shore

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:42:16 +1200, "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote:

>Just looked at some photo's I took last night with the a70, the auto mode
>can be frustrating, my pics were indoor at night and the automode seems to
>have bumped the iso setting right up resulting in very noisy & unclear
>pictures, I wish this thing allowed you to fix the iso setting in auto, you
>can switch to program mode but it is more handy to use full auto sometimes,
>I have to try and remember what circumstances I can get away with auto and
>which I can't but it is a pain to be forced into program mode all the time.

This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish tonight. All are
unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more compressed
jpeg.
What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did on fully
auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a problem with
noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.

On auto, ISO 320, 1/8 sec, F/3.2
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cra...t/Dsc02662.jpg

On Manual, but with ISO on auto
ISO 100, 5 sec, F/3.2
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cra...t/Dsc02663.jpg

ISO 100, 15 sec, F/3.2
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cra...t/Dsc02664.jpg

ISO 100, 30 sec, F/3.2
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cra...t/Dsc02665.jpg

And a different shot, the sky.
ISO 100, 30 sec, F/3.2. The bluring is due to the wind blowing the trees. It's
overcast at the moment, otherwise you would see the stars.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cra...t/Dsc02667.jpg

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cra...t/Dsc02671.jpg
ISO 800, 30 sec, F/2.8. Again bluring due to movement of the trees during the
30 second exposure. Taken 9:37pm. To me the colour is amazing for being taken
in the dark.

Or how about this one from 21st October, 9:49pm. ISO 200, 20 sec, F/2.8.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cra...t/Dsc00864.jpg

kiwiwidescreen

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >Just looked at some photo's I took last night with the a70, the auto mode
> >can be frustrating, my pics were indoor at night and the automode seems

> >have bumped the iso setting right up resulting in very noisy & unclear
> >pictures, I wish this thing allowed you to fix the iso setting in auto,

you
> >can switch to program mode but it is more handy to use full auto

sometimes,
> >I have to try and remember what circumstances I can get away with auto

and
> >which I can't but it is a pain to be forced into program mode all the

time.

> This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish tonight.

All are
> unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more

compressed
> jpeg.
> What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did on

fully
> auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a problem

with
> noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.

The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
according to a professional review although the sony has double the maximum
exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera overall you would
think.

E. Scrooge

"kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message
news:408afbd4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:42:16 +1200, "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules>

> wrote:
> >

> > >Just looked at some photo's I took last night with the a70, the auto

mode
> > >can be frustrating, my pics were indoor at night and the automode seems

> > >have bumped the iso setting right up resulting in very noisy & unclear
> > >pictures, I wish this thing allowed you to fix the iso setting in auto,

> you
> > >can switch to program mode but it is more handy to use full auto

> sometimes,
> > >I have to try and remember what circumstances I can get away with auto

> and
> > >which I can't but it is a pain to be forced into program mode all the

> time.
> >
> > This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish tonight.

> All are
> > unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more

> compressed
> > jpeg.
> > What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did on

> fully
> > auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a problem

> with
> > noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.
> >

> The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
> according to a professional review although the sony has double the

maximum
> exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera overall you

would
> think.

Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original poster
thinking more of around $1,500?

E. Scrooge

kiwiwidescreen

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message
> news:408afbd4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:42:16 +1200, "kiwiwidescreen"

<widescreen@rules>

> mode

seems

unclear

auto,
> > you

> > sometimes,

auto
> > and

> > time.
> > >
> > > This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish

tonight.
> > All are
> > > unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more

> > compressed
> > > jpeg.
> > > What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did

on
> > fully
> > > auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a

problem
> > with
> > > noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.
> > >

> > The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
> > according to a professional review although the sony has double the

> maximum
> > exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera overall you

> would
> > think.

> Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original poster
> thinking more of around $1,500?
>
> E. Scrooge

$500 mark from memory which would disqualify the sony.

~misfit~

kiwiwidescreen wrote:
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message
>> news:408afbd4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
>>> according to a professional review although the sony has double the
>>> maximum exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera
>>> overall you would think.

>> Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original
>> poster thinking more of around $1,500?
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> $500 mark from memory which would disqualify the sony.

Yep, $500 was the approximate budget. Ended up paying $500 for the camera
(A70), $40 for 4 NiMH batteries (only 1600mA/h) and charger and $60 for a
64MB card (it came with only a 16MB card). So $600 all-up. I'm well pleased
with it, although I have no frame of reference, but that could be a good
thing no?

Got a couple of nice pics of the missus with a Kahawai she caught at Port
Waikato this afternoon. We can finally capture those 'magic moments'
although I can see that a new HDD is going to have to be on the shopping
list soon. (She's running a Barton 2500+ OC'ed to 3200+ spec but only has a
pair of 20GB HDDs). She's gone snap-happy, taken about 300 pics already.
--
~misfit~

Craig Shore

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:59:16 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> wrote:

>Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original poster
>thinking more of around $1,500?

He had purchased when I posed that followup, I was not posting as a
recommendation, just showing what the DSC V1 could do when someone
else mentioned noise in the pictures at high ISO settings.