Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mandrake 9.2 download edition and P4P800 Onboard 3c2000 LAN driver problems

Mandrake 9.2 download edition and P4P800 Onboard 3c2000 LAN driver problems

Alpine Dragon

A raw newbie question here regarding the installation of the Network
drivers...

About a week ago, I obtained a copy of Mandrake 9.2, when I installed it
(with the development option install included), it detected all the hardware
except the 3Com LAN (3c3000) on my ASUS P4P800 Motherboard.

I downloaded the drivers for the onboard LAN from ASUS's site.

Following the instructions...
logged in as 'Root'
I copied the linux source files and directory /usr/include to usr/src/linux
so it would match the location as mentioned in the readme.txt
Copied the 3c2000.tar.gz file to usr/driver/
I continued to follow the instructions from 3), but when I went to 'make
load' I had a number errors thrown up on the screen
http://alpinedragon.orcon.net.nz/oth...000_errors.txt
Also tried the alternative 'insmod 3c2000.o' command, still no go.

Being a raw newbie, these errors are rather cryptic to me, I also tried a
search on google which didn't reveal much except that there were a few
others experiencing the same issue.

Has anyone with a P4P800 board managed to get their onboard LAN working with
Mandrake 9.2?

Many Thanks for Any assistance

[readme.txt]
This file describes the 3Com Gigabit NIC (3C2000) driver for Linux.

------------------

1) Make sure that the kernel source is installed in /usr/src/linux
or /usr/src/linux-2.4.

2) Copy the file /Linux/3c2000.tar.gz from the 3Com driver CD to
your hard drive.

3) Change to the directory containing 3c2000.tar.gz

4) Type 'tar zxvf 3c2000.tar.gz'

5) Type 'cd 3c2000'

Note: on SuSE systems since 7.1, you will have to execute the
following commands before running make:

cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h
cp /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h

For more details se http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/mwalter_kernel_24.html

6) Type 'make load' to load the driver.

Alternatively, you may type the following to load the driver:

insmod 3c2000.o

Something like the following will be added to /var/log/messages:

Jan 22 19:31:19 localhost kernel: 3C2000: 3Com Gigabit NIC Driver Version
A08
Jan 22 19:31:19 localhost kernel: Copyright (C) 2003 3Com Corporation.
Jan 22 19:31:19 localhost kernel: Copyright (C) 2003 Marvell.
Jan 22 19:31:19 localhost kernel: eth0: 3Com Gigabit NIC (3C2000)

Depending on your configuration, the OS may then automatically bring the
interface up and request an address from a DHCP server. If it does not,
bring the interface up with the command:

ifconfig eth0 up

You may have to substitue 'eth0' for your actual interface if you have
more than one ethernet NIC installed.

If your system is not configured for DHCP, you can assign an IP address
with the command:

ifconfig eth0 a.b.c.d

Where a.b.c.d is the IP address that you wish to use. Again, eth0 may
be different depending on your system configuration.

Configuring the Driver
------------------------

The 3C2000 driver supports various options, which can be supplied
as command line arguments to the 'insmod' command or in the
/etc/modules.conf file. You may specify more than one option.
Unless otherwise stated, all settings take the form of:

<Option-Name>=value [,value...]

If you use the modules.conf file to load the driver at boot time,
include the word "options" when configuring the driver.

For example:
options 3c2000 DupCap_A=Full

If you use command line 'insmod', do not include the word "option"
when configuring the driver.

For example:
insmod 3c2000.o DupCap_A=Full

The following options are supported:

OPTION: Speed_A
Selects the speed of Port A of the NIC.

"Auto" - Automatic Resolution
"10" - 10MBPS
"100" - 100MBPS
"1000" - 1GIG

OPTION: DupCap_A
Selects the duplex capabilities of Port A of the NIC.

"Full" - Full Duplex
"Half" - Half Duplex
"Both" - Both Half Duplex & Full Duplex

Peter

Alpine Dragon wrote:
> About a week ago, I obtained a copy of Mandrake 9.2, when I installed it
> (with the development option install included), it detected all the
> hardware except the 3Com LAN (3c3000) on my ASUS P4P800 Motherboard.
> I downloaded the drivers for the onboard LAN from ASUS's site.
> Following the instructions...
> logged in as 'Root'
> I copied the linux source files and directory /usr/include to
> usr/src/linux so it would match the location as mentioned in the
> readme.txt Copied the 3c2000.tar.gz file to usr/driver/
> I continued to follow the instructions from 3), but when I went to 'make
> load' I had a number errors thrown up on the screen

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h:14:2: #error "To build kernel modules
please do the following:"
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h:15:2: #error ""
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h:16:2: #error " o Have the kernel
sources installed"

To compile drivers like that you need the kernel source files installed.
These come in a single rpm file that you can easily install, but
unfortunately Mandrake didn't include it in the 9.2 install CDs. You can
download from a mirror, but be sure to get the one that exactly matches the
kernel you are using. Check this by using the command ...
uname -a

The rpm file will be something like this name ...
kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm

And, the kernel source rpm is about 40MB. You might want to borrow this off
someone if possible. What NZ town are you in / near?
(I'm in Taranaki and can put the 9.2 kernel source on CD if you want.
Already done this for someone once this week.)

HTH

Peter

Alpine Dragon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> To compile drivers like that you need the kernel source files installed.
> These come in a single rpm file that you can easily install, but
> unfortunately Mandrake didn't include it in the 9.2 install CDs. You can
> download from a mirror, but be sure to get the one that exactly matches

the
> kernel you are using. Check this by using the command ...
> uname -a
>
> The rpm file will be something like this name ...
> kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm
>
> And, the kernel source rpm is about 40MB. You might want to borrow this

off
> someone if possible. What NZ town are you in / near?
> (I'm in Taranaki and can put the 9.2 kernel source on CD if you want.
> Already done this for someone once this week.)

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I'm in Auckland, however a 40MB download shouldn't hurt as
I'm on Jetstream surf 256k and should be fairly quick to download (1/2 hour
approx).

when I go 'uname -a' at the kconsole prompt, I get the following
Linux localhost 2.4.22-10mdk #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST 2003 i686
unknown unknown GNU/Linux

I can't figure out what kernel I actually need, looking at what was given to
me by the command it seems I would need...
kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm OR kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i686.rpm?

Peter

Alpine Dragon wrote:
> Unfortunately, I'm in Auckland, however a 40MB download shouldn't hurt as
> I'm on Jetstream surf 256k and should be fairly quick to download (1/2
> hour approx).

cool - I just thought 40MB might be a problem if you were on dial up

> when I go 'uname -a' at the kconsole prompt, I get the following
> Linux localhost 2.4.22-10mdk #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST 2003 i686
> unknown unknown GNU/Linux

looks like you have SMP kernel running, this is for multi processor PCs. Is
that what you have? Or, does lilo give you the option of a normal kernel
on startup - a normal kernel will probably be best pick, unless you have
reason to use another. (Sometimes the installer incorrectly detects multi
CPI and installs SMP kernel.)

> I can't figure out what kernel I actually need, looking at what was given
> to me by the command it seems I would need...
> kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm OR
> kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i686.rpm?

I used the .i586 one (on AMD2400+) and worked fine. If you are running
multi CPU (with that SMP kernel) you might need to get the SMP source, but
I'm not sure on that.

HTH

Peter

Alpine Dragon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alpine Dragon wrote:
> > when I go 'uname -a' at the kconsole prompt, I get the following
> > Linux localhost 2.4.22-10mdk #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST 2003 i686
> > unknown unknown GNU/Linux

> looks like you have SMP kernel running, this is for multi processor PCs.

Is
> that what you have? Or, does lilo give you the option of a normal kernel
> on startup - a normal kernel will probably be best pick, unless you have
> reason to use another. (Sometimes the installer incorrectly detects multi
> CPI and installs SMP kernel.)

Thanks for your reply,

Yes. the CPU is P4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB w/ Hyper-Threading so Mandrake picked
it up as a multi-processor PC.

Currently the LILO boot menu contains the following options...
linux - enterpris
linux (normally the one I boot into)
linux - nonfb
linux - smp
failsafe
windows
floppy

> > I can't figure out what kernel I actually need, looking at what was

given
> > to me by the command it seems I would need...
> > kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm OR
> > kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i686.rpm?

> I used the .i586 one (on AMD2400+) and worked fine. If you are running
> multi CPU (with that SMP kernel) you might need to get the SMP source, but
> I'm not sure on that.

Seems Google really isn't being my friend here, searched fruitlessly for the
SMP version of the kernel source, it's either the site is inaccessible or
the source has been deleted from the server.

Peter

Alpine Dragon wrote:
> Seems Google really isn't being my friend here, searched fruitlessly for
> the SMP version of the kernel source, it's either the site is inaccessible
> or the source has been deleted from the server.

Well, you can either
(a) try the i686 or i586 source rpms, and see if it works - you can
uninstall it if not
or
(b) post a question over on alt.os.linux.mandrake - there are several folks
over there who are knowledgable.

(just checking -> you did search with groups.google.com, didn't you?)

HTH

Peter

Alpine Dragon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alpine Dragon wrote:
> > Seems Google really isn't being my friend here, searched fruitlessly for
> > the SMP version of the kernel source, it's either the site is

inaccessible
> > or the source has been deleted from the server.

> Well, you can either
> (a) try the i686 or i586 source rpms, and see if it works - you can
> uninstall it if not
> or
> (b) post a question over on alt.os.linux.mandrake - there are several

folks
> over there who are knowledgable.
>
> (just checking -> you did search with groups.google.com, didn't you?)

Many Thanks for your help. Yes I did try groups as well, that's where I
found some people were encountering the same issue, but apparently got no
response.

I will download the i586 kernel and give a go. Also will continue searching
for the SMP version.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Peter wrote:
>>when I go 'uname -a' at the kconsole prompt, I get the following
>>Linux localhost 2.4.22-10mdk #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST 2003 i686
>>unknown unknown GNU/Linux

> looks like you have SMP kernel running, this is for multi processor PCs. Is
> that what you have? Or, does lilo give you the option of a normal kernel
> on startup - a normal kernel will probably be best pick, unless you have
> reason to use another. (Sometimes the installer incorrectly detects multi
> CPI and installs SMP kernel.)

Hyperthreading = SMP?

--
Dave Hall