Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Soft to Monitor disk activity ?

Soft to Monitor disk activity ?

Beverly Hills

Hi,
my PC boots OK but then spends ages doing something on the disk .
I can hear the disk rumbling and clicking anc clunking like a dishwasher for
about 5 or 10 minutes.
During that time anything else I try to do is dramatically slow.
Then everything goes quiet and I can use my PC normally.

When the disk is rumbling the Programme monitor shows programmes that are
active and using memory :
examples : Picasa scanning for images, Goggle desktop scanning for files,
maybe Explorer indexing ... and my antivirus maybe scanning large files.

But maybe also some malware ?

How can I check to see what is going on on the disk.

Is there some software that I can start (on boot) and leave running 10
minutes and then check the logs to see who was doing what ?

TIA
Mayalayam

VanguardLH

"Beverly Hills" wrote in message
news:477fac43$0$27604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there some software that I can start (on boot) and leave running
> 10 minutes and then check the logs to see who was doing what ?

SysInternals' FileMon
Put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder to load it after you login
since the system may be so bogged down that you cannot get it started
manually. Once you decide to target just some files to reduce the
size of the logging (i.e., to focus at suspect files), use its filter
to narrow down which files it will monitor.

Beverley Hills

Thanks, will give that a blast.

B.

Beverley Hills

Hi Vanguard LH !

I've just been over to SysInternals and found DiskMon
did you mean
DiskMon ("This utility captures all hard disk activity or acts like a
software disk activity light in your system tray").

rather than FileMon ??

B.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Beverley Hills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Vanguard LH !
>
>I've just been over to SysInternals and found DiskMon
>did you mean
> DiskMon ("This utility captures all hard disk activity or acts like a
>software disk activity light in your system tray").
>
>rather than FileMon ??

Diskmon shows disk activity, yes. Filemon shows what files are being
used during this activity, which can help find the program causing all
the activity (virus checker).

Process Monitor (same site) shows all files used and registry
read/writes (filemon and Regmon).
--

Why Daddy Shouldn’t Buy Baby Clothes
http://www.piclicious.tv/2007/12/why...y-clothes.html

VanguardLH

"Beverley Hills" wrote in message
news:477fb35f$0$16988$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've just been over to SysInternals and found DiskMon
> did you mean
> DiskMon ("This utility captures all hard disk activity or acts like
> a software disk activity light in your system tray").
> rather than FileMon ??

You said that you wanted to monitor FILE access. You already know
that there is plenty of disk access.

wisdomkiller & pain

Beverly Hills wrote:

> Hi,
> my PC boots OK but then spends ages doing something on the disk .
> I can hear the disk rumbling and clicking anc clunking like a dishwasher
> for about 5 or 10 minutes.
> During that time anything else I try to do is dramatically slow.
> Then everything goes quiet and I can use my PC normally.
>
> When the disk is rumbling the Programme monitor shows programmes that are
> active and using memory :
> examples : Picasa scanning for images, Goggle desktop scanning for files,
> maybe Explorer indexing ... and my antivirus maybe scanning large files.
>
> But maybe also some malware ?
>
> How can I check to see what is going on on the disk.

Before you use the sysinternals tools (filemon and brothers), you should run
msconfig to eliminate the known disk hogs (google desktop, picasa ...) for
the time of research. Maybe you'll discover everything will silence down
and run quite normal, when not two or more competing (for the drive head)
programs keep the head crunching.

> Is there some software that I can start (on boot) and leave running 10
> minutes and then check the logs to see who was doing what ?

.... or otherwise you will have to take a looong time to review the logs *eg*