Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities

Sony to give PSP VoIP capabilities

Ivor Jones

"Al Paca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:(E-Mail Removed) idual.de
: : On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:15:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
: : <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: :
: : : and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
: : : router anyway.
: :
: : I'm not sure that is completely right.

Well that's what I was told, I have no first hand experience as I refuse
to use the thing on principle.

Ivor

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Al Paca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) idual.de
>: : On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:15:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
>: : <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: :
>: : : and they can't if you're the other side of a NAT
>: : : router anyway.
>: :
>: : I'm not sure that is completely right.
>
> Well that's what I was told, I have no first hand experience as I refuse
> to use the thing on principle.

That matches my experience. I was allocating real/routable IP
addresses on my home network. When lots of family came to stay
over Christmas, I noticed loads of broadband traffic going all
over the world when no one was apparently doing anything, and
initially thought their laptops were riddled with viruses.
On closer investigation, it was all Skype traffic. (Don't use
Skype myself, only RFC VoIP.) I changed my network config to
dish out NAT'ed 192.168 addresses and the problem went away.
I presume the windows laptops stopped being supernodes.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Iain

Ian Pawson wrote:

> voip is a point to point system whereas

Incorrect

> Skype is a peer to peer system

Mostly correct

> ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all the
> time that you are on-line.

Incorrect. They use it whether or not you pay.

VOIP is Voice Over IP. Skype is not a system that I'd recommend, but it
is VOIP.

arceelover

Too bad that the system's only available on the "slim" model. My fat
model is still preferred because it's easier for software piracy

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=36194
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Ian Pawson

Iain wrote:
> Ian Pawson wrote:
>
>> voip is a point to point system whereas

> Incorrect
>
>> Skype is a peer to peer system

> Mostly correct
>
>> ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all the
>> time that you are on-line.

> Incorrect. They use it whether or not you pay.
>
> VOIP is Voice Over IP. Skype is not a system that I'd recommend, but it
> is VOIP.

I meant that you are paying for your broadband service that skype use
for free

alexd

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:43:15 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

> Iain wrote:
>> Ian Pawson wrote:

>>> ie you pay for them to be able to use your broadband connection all
>>> the time that you are on-line.

>> Incorrect. They use it whether or not you pay.

> I meant that you are paying for your broadband service that skype use
> for free

You say that as if you're not doing exactly the same thing to other
people's internet connections when /you/ use Skype. Swings and
roundabouts, innit?

18:13:27 up 5 days, 8:37, 2 users, load average: 1.51, 1.55, 1.54
2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.