Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Caching of Firefox downloads

Caching of Firefox downloads

Porter Smith

I'm seeing some unexpected behavior. Perhaps someone can shed some light.

Running Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I go to a website and
download a file. Some time (10 minutes) later the Webmaster replaces the
file with a newer version. I download again but I get the old version and
the download completes in a fraction of the time.

I go to another PC on my LAN which uses the same broadband connection. This
time when I download I get the new version.

What gives?

I've erased the old file, cleared the downlaod history and restarted
FireFox but one PC gets the old version and the other gets the new. Is
FireFox caching the file somwhere on my PC? If so where and how do I get
rid of it?

Thanks

Moz Champion (Dan)

Porter Smith wrote:
> I'm seeing some unexpected behavior. Perhaps someone can shed some light.
>
> Running Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I go to a website and
> download a file. Some time (10 minutes) later the Webmaster replaces the
> file with a newer version. I download again but I get the old version and
> the download completes in a fraction of the time.
>
> I go to another PC on my LAN which uses the same broadband connection. This
> time when I download I get the new version.
>
> What gives?
>
> I've erased the old file, cleared the downlaod history and restarted
> FireFox but one PC gets the old version and the other gets the new. Is
> FireFox caching the file somwhere on my PC? If so where and how do I get
> rid of it?
>
> Thanks

Because the files have the same name.

You download the file the first time and the filename is stored. When
you go to get the file the second time (same PC) it checks and the file
already exists, so the download is almost instantaneous (it doesnt
really download it again)

If you go to another PC, it sees the file, but since it doesnt already
have a copy, it gets the 'new' one

Once the file is downloaded, simply clearing Firefox's memory of it isnt
enough (depending on your system). You have to clear the systems memory
of the file as well.

Quick workaround. Rename the file when you download it, and it will
fetch the new version. You can rename it to the original name afterwards
if you like.

Some systems have 'automatic' file naming settings in place. Some
systems if you try to download it again will respond with <filename
already exists, do you want to replace it> or they will add a numeric to
the filename to indicate its a secondary 'copy' (ie. quickmovie.mov
becomes quickmovie2.mov or some such)

A 'better' download manager than the one extant in Firefox would do more
'checking' (and probably better error messages) when it comes to
duplicates, but with the workaround described above its not a neccessity
to have a 'better' one.

gwtc

Porter Smith wrote:

> I'm seeing some unexpected behavior. Perhaps someone can shed some light.
>
> Running Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I go to a website and
> download a file. Some time (10 minutes) later the Webmaster replaces the
> file with a newer version. I download again but I get the old version and
> the download completes in a fraction of the time.
>
> I go to another PC on my LAN which uses the same broadband connection. This
> time when I download I get the new version.
>
> What gives?
>
> I've erased the old file, cleared the downlaod history and restarted
> FireFox but one PC gets the old version and the other gets the new. Is
> FireFox caching the file somwhere on my PC? If so where and how do I get
> rid of it?
>
> Thanks

the page is stored in your cache. Try emptying it: Tools, Options,
Privacy and Cache tab.

Also, if you want to refresh the page, it the Reload Current Page
button, the one between the Forward button and the Stop button. Or
hold down the ctrl key and hist the F5 button, or just F5 should do.

Porter Smith

gwtc <TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote
in news:44205d06$(E-Mail Removed):

> the page is stored in your cache. Try emptying it: Tools, Options,
> Privacy and Cache tab.

That was it. Thanks