Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma SD 14

Sigma SD 14

nospam

In article <020220082128050572%(E-Mail Removed)>, Mr. Strat
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <020220081500199325%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > gotta love that purple and green grass!

> In the lighthouse shot, that's a really weird shade of blue for the sky.
>
> The Sigma fanboys will say that you can fix it with software - but you
> shouldn't have to.

the problem is that you *can't* fix the weird colour casts in software
because they're not global errors. fix the sky and something else will
look wrong.

it's the same thing with the leica m8 and infrared contamination. take
a photo of a bride and groom and her dress is white while his suit has
a purplish tint. fix the suit and her dress ends up with a greenish
cast. but hey, it's a $5000 leica, so it must be good.

David J. Littleboy

"Mr. Strat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I particularly enjoyed the smelly, sticky wand of goop that you had to
> spread over the B&W Polaroids to preserve them.
>
> My dad got a folding Polaroid not long after they came out. I remember
> well that Christmas morning...take the picture...the directions say to
> grasp the tab firmly and pull...and the whole roll came out. The wink
> light was a beauty too.

But they do nice things as 6x12 MF cameras.

http://westfordcomp.com/classics/minhysarex/index.html

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Mr. Strat

In article <020220082215185246%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> the problem is that you *can't* fix the weird colour casts in software
> because they're not global errors. fix the sky and something else will
> look wrong.

Well, I'd never consider a Sigma camera anyway. It's the fanboys'
problem.

> it's the same thing with the leica m8 and infrared contamination. take
> a photo of a bride and groom and her dress is white while his suit has
> a purplish tint. fix the suit and her dress ends up with a greenish
> cast. but hey, it's a $5000 leica, so it must be good.

We're back to that again?

I remember back in the early 70s, it was either Ektacolor or early VPS
that had a similar problem. Lime green tuxes were popular for weddings,
and the dyes used in some of them would fluoresce under strobe. So you
never knew if that green tux would come back from the lab as green or
brown.

John Turco

"Mr. Strat" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Turco
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > There are numerous Polaroid peel-apart B&W prints (late 1960's), in
> > addition to sealed color ones (1970's), in our family photo albums.
> > They've all held up well, over the decades (although, they rarely see
> > the light of day).

> I particularly enjoyed the smelly, sticky wand of goop that you had to
> spread over the B&W Polaroids to preserve them.

Hello, Randall:

That brings up fond menories, personally, too.

> My dad got a folding Polaroid not long after they came out. I remember
> well that Christmas morning...take the picture...the directions say to
> grasp the tab firmly and pull...and the whole roll came out. The wink
> light was a beauty too.

Those "folding Polaroid" cameras were somewhat before my time; I do
recall seeing used ones, in thrift stores, occasionally.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Digital Delta-Sigma DAC Davy VHDL 10 04-14-2007 09:16 PM
Sigma or OEM Sigma as Quantaray Mikevt1 Digital Photography 4 10-17-2006 10:04 AM
Sigma 18-125/3,5-5,6 and Sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro IIusers friglob Digital Photography 3 02-06-2006 08:12 PM
Sigma 24-60 DG compare with sigma 24-70 DG rolento Digital Photography 1 11-13-2004 02:40 AM
6th sigma? glunk Java 0 07-14-2004 03:32 PM

Advertisments