Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Warner Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive, biggest payoff yet

Reply
Thread Tools

Warner Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive, biggest payoff yet

 
 
Phisherman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
All of this Blu-Ray HD-DVD debate will probably be a moot point in the
long run as more and more data is being transferred via Internet, not
physical disc.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Keith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
Yer wrong. Microsoft Sucks too! 3/4 of my PC's are running Linux. One
is running windows only because my wife needs it for her job.

K

T.B. wrote:
> "Keith" wrote:
>
>> I will NEVER use Blu-Ray! Sony SUCKS! They're like the Galactic
>> Empire from Star Wars!

>
> Yet you probably have no problem with Microsoft. How childish.
>
> T.B.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
willbill wrote:
> what on earth is Warner thinking of?
>
> i mean, how on earth is this Warner
> decision going to reduce BD standalone
> player prices in the USA?


Easy. A lot of people have been standing on the sidelines, waiting for
a winner to emerge. Now that one apparently has, more people will buy
into it, and thus, competition among manufacturers and studios will
reduce prices, and production cost/disc will decrease as production
increases.

You know, just like VHS, CD and DVD. The format war wasn't increasing
competition; it was stifling it, due to the fact a great many people
weren't willing to buy into a possible losing format on either side.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
Phisherman wrote:
> All of this Blu-Ray HD-DVD debate will probably be a moot point in the
> long run as more and more data is being transferred via Internet, not
> physical disc.


A very, very long run. No format is meant to last forever. If they can
get a 10 year run out of it, I'm sure they'd be thrilled.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

( Inane rant snipped )

First of all, who died and made you King?

Second, you just proved that you're an Ignoramus. If you'd bother to
look at some of my previous postings, you'll see that I haven't always
top-posted.

Thirdly, I just re-installed my e-mail program and that setting was
wrong. I've subsequently changed it.... But not because of YOU, ya moron.


 
Reply With Quote
 
GMAN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I will NEVER use Blu-Ray! Sony SUCKS! They're like the Galactic Empire
>from Star Wars!
>
>Keith


Jar Jar? Is that you?


>
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Just days before CES 2008, Warner Home Video has announced that they
>> are going to stop supporting HD-DVD and support the Blu-Ray format
>> exclusively. There are rumors that this decision was made after Sony
>> paid Warner 1.8 billion dollars to sign an exclusive contract, one of
>> the largest payoffs yet (the second largest being 150 million to
>> Paramount and Dreamworks to go HD-DVD exclusively.)
>>
>> Warner's official response, however, was:
>> "In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will
>> release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc
>> format beginning later this year" it was announced today by Barry
>> Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President,
>> Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.
>>
>> After August 2007, Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony said that the Blu-
>> Ray format was in a stalemate. "It's a difficult fight. We were trying
>> to win on the merits, which we were doing for a while, until Paramount
>> changed sides," Howard Stringer told the AP.
>>
>> Blu-Ray was winning the HD format war in North America and Asia, but
>> not Europe, until the Dreamworks/Paramount buyout.
>>
>> Many consider this new Warner Home Video buyout to be the end of the
>> format war completely.
>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
Tarkus wrote:
> willbill wrote:
>> what on earth is Warner thinking of?
>>
>> i mean, how on earth is this Warner
>> decision going to reduce BD standalone
>> player prices in the USA?

>
> Easy. A lot of people have been standing on the sidelines, waiting for
> a winner to emerge. Now that one apparently has, more people will buy
> into it, and thus, competition among manufacturers and studios will
> reduce prices, and production cost/disc will decrease as production
> increases.
>
> You know, just like VHS, CD and DVD. The format war wasn't increasing
> competition; it was stifling it, due to the fact a great many people
> weren't willing to buy into a possible losing format on either side.


To add to this:

"The move to a single standard would prove a major victory for
consumers. Many who have come to enjoy the crisp detail of
high-definition television likely would move ahead with purchases of
advanced DVD players if they knew their technology would not become
obsolete. The Warner decision removes some of that uncertainty, and
appears to eliminate the prospect that Sony will lose out, as it did
with its ill-fated Betamax standard in the battle against VHS."

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ndex_top+story
 
Reply With Quote
 
willbill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
Tarkus wrote:

> willbill wrote:


>> what on earth is Warner thinking of?
>>
>> i mean, how on earth is this Warner
>> decision going to reduce BD standalone
>> player prices in the USA?


> Easy. A lot of people have been standing on the sidelines, waiting for
> a winner to emerge. Now that one apparently has, more people will buy
> into it, and thus, competition among manufacturers and studios will
> reduce prices, and production cost/disc will decrease as production
> increases.
>
> You know, just like VHS, CD and DVD. The format war wasn't increasing
> competition; it was stifling it, due to the fact a great many people
> weren't willing to buy into a possible losing format on either side.



if the BD standalone player prices don't
come down, and soon, it won't happen

if BD were all that existed, i wouldn't
have bought into HD, no matter the price

maybe CHDA will be what it takes to
turn the corner?

imho, BD has too many problems to
become the HD standard


bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
willbill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
Tarkus wrote:


> To add to this:
>
> "The move to a single standard would prove a major victory for
> consumers. Many who have come to enjoy the crisp detail of
> high-definition television likely would move ahead with purchases of
> advanced DVD players if they knew their technology would not become
> obsolete. The Warner decision removes some of that uncertainty, and
> appears to eliminate the prospect that Sony will lose out, as it did
> with its ill-fated Betamax standard in the battle against VHS."
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ndex_top+story



imho, you need to see the forest
that exists beyond the trees


bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
ChairmanOfTheBored
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:04:31 -0500, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>All of this Blu-Ray HD-DVD debate will probably be a moot point in the
>long run as more and more data is being transferred via Internet, not
>physical disc.



You're a goddamned retard. The data rate from an optical disk is far
higher than the UTTER CRAP that you can get on the net.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a payoff for using Large File API? Alona C Programming 11 03-20-2008 08:06 PM
biggest asp.net page yet Abraham Andres Luna ASP .Net 3 11-23-2005 11:56 PM
Yet another book recommendation, but for someone who can program and yet does not the terminology well Berehem C Programming 4 04-28-2005 05:25 PM
ok here it goes! yet another Noobie post! question about 300D best settings! rutman Digital Photography 7 03-22-2005 10:16 AM
REVIEW: "Privacy Payoff", Ann Cavoukian/Tyler J. Hamilton Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor Computer Security 0 02-23-2004 04:23 PM



Advertisments