Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Warner Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive, biggest payoff yet

Warner Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive, biggest payoff yet

JohnR

"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 07:54:04 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

>>> See, folks? Now THIS GUY is an example of a troll.

>>No, y'see, he was showing what life was back WAYYY, way back in 2006!
>>
>>Without historical recreation actors, you might never be able to picture
>>such a primitive, backwards time, back when we thought the formats were
>><quote-fingers> "equal", and that the whole battle was some
>>good-vs.-evil to prove how "evil" Sony was...
>>
>>Derek Janssen (oh, watch, now he'll say something about Rootkits and
>>ATRAC!--I love performance art!)
>>(E-Mail Removed)

> Not at all, dipshit.
>
> More like about how Sony owns too goddamned much as it is. They are
> worse than Microsoft is.

They are in the business of making money, all business is based on greed.
"owns too much" has sod all to do with business. Communist.

yoman

We can only hope that hd-dvd can pull something out of their hats, for
the North-American market, but even if they could, it would still mean
that both formats will linger side-by-side for years to come. Can the
world handle two Hi-Def markets? Besides all of the so-called
"Confused" Hi-Def consumers, if those people even exist, I believe we
could handle it. Ya know, he who has an HD-DVD player keeps his HD-DVD
player, Blu-Ray, and vice versa.

Retailers have other ideas. They only want what is sold off of store
shelves as fast as possible for as much profit as possible, and maybe
as much kickbacks as possible. So, places like blockbuster started the
"Retailers can choose who wins the format war" game. A few chose blu-
ray, a few chose HD-DVD, and many remained neutral. While that
probably did help blu-ray a bit, the next move was about the studio
support. Paramount went to HD-DVD, and now, a major studio with even
more in their movie library went to blu-ray, and now, the war seems
all but over in North-America.

-

At least we have appx 500 titles in North-America, probably 100 or
more unique titles in other continents that are easily imported, and
even though North-American and Japanese HD-DVD may be doomed, many
Europeans have embraced the HD-DVD format over Blu-Ray, although blu-
ray camp will try to dispell that. Here are just a few European
studios releasing movies for HD-DVD:

Paramount, Dreamworks,
Kinowelt (T-2), Toshiba (Band of brothers), Concorde (Silent Hill,
Underworld, Tomb Raider),
Constantine Films (releasing sony's Resident Evil Trilogy in Germany),
universal, Studio Canal (Releasing Disney, MGM, and Fox movies),
Weinstein Company (Grindhouse), highlight (perfume, story of murder,
fantastic four, rise of the silver surfer), dfw (dutch film works, Saw
trilogy), EMS, Filmax (Underworld Evolution), Galileo, TF1 (Le vie en
rose), Monolith Films (mr and mrs smith), Ascot Elite (Bug), Universum
Film (crank), Imagion, Pathe (enemy at the gates), SHV, SPI (Hannibal
Rising), DeA Plaeta (American Haunting), Moviemax (bridge to
terabithia), Optimum (brotherhood of the wolf), etc.

As you can see, HD-DVD has a whole lot of studio support in Europe. HD-
DVD isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Here are several links to places any one can buy import hd-dvd titles.
There could literally be thousands more HD-DVDs released in Europe in
the coming years, including blu-ray exclusive releases in the US. Some
examples of blu-ray exclusives released or going to be released soon
on HD-DVD imports: fantastic four, fantastic four rise of the silver
surfer, silent hill, Resident Evil Trilogy and CGI (RE1 in Japan,
RE1-3 in Germany, RE degeneration in Germany), Bridge to Terabithia
(Disney, Spain, Italian), Rambo Trilogy (Australia, UK, France, etc)
and many others.

Amazon Japan http://www.amazon.co.jp/
Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/
Amazon France http://www.amazon.fr/
Amazon Germany http://www.amazon.de/
CD Japan http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
Yes Asia http://global.yesasia.com/en/index.aspx
Play Asia http://www.play-asia.com/
Xploited Cinema (in USA) http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/index.php
HD Addicts (Canada) http://www.hdaddicts.com/catalog/
DVD Therapy http://www.dvdtherapy.com/shoppingcart/
DVDGO (Spain) http://www.dvdgo.com/
EDVD (Poland) http://www.edvd.pl/
Merlin.pl (Poland) http://www.merlin.com.pl/frontend/browse/home.html
HD Movie Source (USA) http://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog/
EZYDVD (Australia) http://www.ezydvd.com.au/
Sendit (UK) http://www.sendit.com/
HMV Japan http://www.hmv.co.jp/
DVDit (Italy) http://www.dvd.it/page/welc/nlang/en/
Blah DVD http://www.blahdvd.com/blah/Home.aspx
DVD Co UK http://www.dvd.co.uk/
DVD Source http://www.dvdsource.co.uk/
HMV UK http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/home.do
Play UK http://www.play.com/
FNAC (France) http://www.fnac.com/
DVD Enlard http://www.dvdenlared.com/hd-dvd/
FNAC (Spain) http://www.fnac.es/dsp/?servlet=home.HomeServlet
1A DVD (Swiss) http://www.1advd.ch/
Disc Shop (Swedish) http://www.discshop.se/shop/index.php
DVD Crave (Australia) http://www.dvdcrave.com/
Axel Music http://www.axelmusic.com/
Buy HD Online http://www.buyhdonline.com/
Ro-Disc http://www.rodisc.nl/

Keith

I Greatly resent being called a Troll!

I've owned Sony products over the years and have gotten screwed by them
time after time. I bought their CDP-101 CD player in 1982 (at $1000) it
crapped out 2 days after the warranty expired. They wanted like $400 to
repair it! I just pitched it in the trash.

Keith

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:07:45 -0600, Keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I will NEVER use Blu-Ray! Sony SUCKS! They're like the Galactic Empire
>>
> >from Star Wars!

>> Keith
>>

> See, folks? Now THIS GUY is an example of a troll.

Bob Bohling

"yoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
*snip*
> As you can see, HD-DVD has a whole lot of studio support in Europe. HD-
> DVD isn't going anywhere any time soon.
>
> Here are several links to places any one can buy import hd-dvd titles.

*snip*

Just a question: Is HD-DVD & Blu-Ray region coded (as SD DVD is), or can
any
player play any HD/BR disc?

Thanks

the dog from that film you saw

this whole blu ray vs hd dvd 'war' thing seems to me like 2 people fighting
over a small bit of overgrown land while living next door to someone who
owns a mansion - that person being dvd.
neither hd dvd or blu ray can 'win' until such time as they are selling in
large quantities comparable, or greater than dvd.

before then it's just a fight to see who can be the new laserdisc.

--
Gareth.

That fly... is your magic wand.
http://www.last.fm/user/dsbmusic/

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 13:51:43 -0000, "JohnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 07:54:04 GMT, Derek Janssen
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>No, y'see, he was showing what life was back WAYYY, way back in 2006!
>>>
>>>Without historical recreation actors, you might never be able to picture
>>>such a primitive, backwards time, back when we thought the formats were
>>><quote-fingers> "equal", and that the whole battle was some
>>>good-vs.-evil to prove how "evil" Sony was...
>>>
>>>Derek Janssen (oh, watch, now he'll say something about Rootkits and
>>>ATRAC!--I love performance art!)
>>>(E-Mail Removed)

>> Not at all, dipshit.
>>
>> More like about how Sony owns too goddamned much as it is. They are
>> worse than Microsoft is.
>>

>They are in the business of making money, all business is based on greed.
>"owns too much" has sod all to do with business. Communist.

**** you. People **** and moan about Microsoft day after day, but I
can't call Sony out on their abusive practices? **** you.

They WERE in with Toshiba, and WERE supposed to develop this next gen
format together with them, but it was Sony that stepped away and decided
to flex their muscles and started all this ****, so come back when you
know what the **** you are talking about.

ChairmanOfTheBored

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 09:27:25 -0600, Keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I Greatly resent being called a Troll!

**** you. You top post too, so you are also a goddamned Usenet RETARD.

T.B.

"Keith" wrote:

>I will NEVER use Blu-Ray! Sony SUCKS! They're like the Galactic Empire
> from Star Wars!

Yet you probably have no problem with Microsoft. How childish.

T.B.

T.B.

"Bob Bohling" wrote:

> "yoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> *snip*
>> As you can see, HD-DVD has a whole lot of studio support in Europe. HD-
>> DVD isn't going anywhere any time soon.
>>
>> Here are several links to places any one can buy import hd-dvd titles.

> *snip*
>

> Just a question: Is HD-DVD & Blu-Ray region coded (as SD DVD is), or can
> any player play any HD/BR disc?

HD-DVDs are not region encoded and any disc can be played worldwide in any
HD player. Blu-ray supports region encoding however not all titles are
region encoded.

T.B.

willbill

> Blu-Ray was winning the HD format war in North America and Asia,
> but not Europe, until the Dreamworks/Paramount buyout.

up front, i'm in the USA and recently
bought a 3rd gen Toshiba A35 player

what on earth is Warner thinking of?

i mean, how on earth is this Warner