Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > QuickPar experts ?

QuickPar experts ?

RJ@nowhere.com

Hi Folks,

Downloaded a set of files with Newsleecher, and verified with
QuickPar. QuickPar fixed some damaged files and said everything was
100%, good to go. But when I click on the first .rar to extract, I get
an error (from WinRAR) that a particular volume is missing.

xxxxxx.part001.2.rar

There is no file with this name in the original archive. Copying the
error to clipboard reveals it's actually a CRC error in

xxxxx.part001.1rar

..... which *is* part of the archive I downloaded (and the file I
clicked on to attempt to extract the archive). I ran QP again, and
again it said everything was fine.

Any ideas on what to do next? Should I try SmartPar or some other
program? (I also tried using WinRAR to repair the volume. It said it
did, but I got the same error.) Thanks for any help!

Spuds

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:14:33 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Downloaded a set of files with Newsleecher, and verified with
>QuickPar. QuickPar fixed some damaged files and said everything was
>100%, good to go. But when I click on the first .rar to extract, I get
>an error (from WinRAR) that a particular volume is missing.
>
>xxxxxx.part001.2.rar
>
>There is no file with this name in the original archive. Copying the
>error to clipboard reveals it's actually a CRC error in
>
>xxxxx.part001.1rar
>
>.... which *is* part of the archive I downloaded (and the file I
>clicked on to attempt to extract the archive). I ran QP again, and
>again it said everything was fine.
>
>Any ideas on what to do next? Should I try SmartPar or some other
>program? (I also tried using WinRAR to repair the volume. It said it
>did, but I got the same error.) Thanks for any help!

There's a possibility the rar set was hosed before the poster made the par
files.

You _might_ have luck using WinRAR's own repair function. Here's a bit of
poop on it: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/leslie....l/column6.html

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Downloaded a set of files with Newsleecher, and verified with
> QuickPar. QuickPar fixed some damaged files and said everything was
> 100%, good to go. But when I click on the first .rar to extract, I get
> an error (from WinRAR) that a particular volume is missing.
>
> xxxxxx.part001.2.rar
>
> There is no file with this name in the original archive. Copying the
> error to clipboard reveals it's actually a CRC error in
>
> xxxxx.part001.1rar
>
> .... which *is* part of the archive I downloaded (and the file I
> clicked on to attempt to extract the archive). I ran QP again, and
> again it said everything was fine.
>
> Any ideas on what to do next? Should I try SmartPar or some other
> program? (I also tried using WinRAR to repair the volume. It said it
> did, but I got the same error.) Thanks for any help!

QuickPar is newer than SmartPar, so I don't think going to SmartPar is
going to solve the problem.

QuickPar has a forum, including a thread called "Winrar says bad
Quickpar says good"

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php4?t=899

.... but that thread isn't very useful.

--
Mike Easter

RJ@nowhere.com

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:55:34 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>QuickPar is newer than SmartPar, so I don't think going to SmartPar is
>going to solve the problem.

Right. I tried and it didn't.

>QuickPar has a forum, including a thread called "Winrar says bad
>Quickpar says good"
>
>http://www.quickpar.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php4?t=899
>
>... but that thread isn't very useful.

Thanks very much. At least it's a forum that I didn't know about. I
tried all the things mentioned already -- having WinRAR rebuild or
repair the volume, etc. But the DL was 7.8 GBs so I'm not ready to
give up yet. Will keep trying!

Btw, this archive was posted to a.b.s.t.french, but the info file says
it's NTSC and language is English 5.1, Spanish ... and French... the
material is US, so I am hoping I can turn off french subtitles, or if
the volume includes different languages, choose English. Does this
sound right given the info file? If I knew it was subtitled with no
way to remove those, I wouldn't bother with trying to fix it.

Thanks again.

RJ@nowhere.com

After reading through different messages on the QP board, I decided to
delete the CRC file and reload it from USENET, then downloaded the
newest WinRAR (mine was 1.5 yrs old), and extracted the volume without
QP'ing it first. This worked. Apparently one should only use QP if
the files don't extract on their own first.

Thanks for the leads!