Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Why did MS Stuff up with MSI Files..?

Why did MS Stuff up with MSI Files..?

Tick Tock

Seems that other firms can produce a complete installer programs but not MS,
you need to dnload the the Driver for it..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
Windows Installer is not included in Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second
Edition (SE), or Windows NT 4.0. In order to run Windows Installer
installation packages on these Windows operating systems, the Windows
Installer engine must first be installed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

And its the Same with ME I found out the other day, the loader on ME was to
old.

Mainlander

says...

> Seems that other firms can produce a complete installer programs but not MS,
> you need to dnload the the Driver for it..

The idea is you don't need to ship a complete installation program with
each download, thus the download can be smaller.

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, Mainlander sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> says...
> >

> > Seems that other firms can produce a complete installer programs but not MS,
> > you need to dnload the the Driver for it..

> The idea is you don't need to ship a complete installation program with
> each download, thus the download can be smaller.

But, Wise Installer only adds around 350kB to a package (I tested it).
This is negligible compared to the size of most programs.

If you want really lite, the Nullsoft SuperPiMP installer is extremely
small... 20-40kB

MSI is around 3MB in comparison... no bloat here officer... yes I know
it has thousands of whizzy features... still causes just as many
problems in my experience...
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Steven H

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:01:28 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> Suddenly, Mainlander sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>>>

>>> Seems that other firms can produce a complete installer programs but not MS,
>>> you need to dnload the the Driver for it..

>> The idea is you don't need to ship a complete installation program with
>> each download, thus the download can be smaller.

> But, Wise Installer only adds around 350kB to a package (I tested it).
> This is negligible compared to the size of most programs.
>
> If you want really lite, the Nullsoft SuperPiMP installer is extremely
> small... 20-40kB
>
> MSI is around 3MB in comparison... no bloat here officer... yes I know
> it has thousands of whizzy features... still causes just as many
> problems in my experience...

hmmm really - well in MY experience your an idiot

Steven H - B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand
..net Geek

Ray Colvill

http://www.arcanadev.com/install/msi.htm

solved my problem fine.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed) - wont work anyway > wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...