Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom DSL avail without a phoneline?

Telecom DSL avail without a phoneline?

Nathan Mercer

Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?

And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

Thanks
Nathan

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?
> And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

No, and because they are wankers.

You cant even get their two way wireless(radio signal) without a phone line.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

AD.

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:37:39 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?
>
> And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

It's called naked DSL in the US, and they've only really just started
doing it there.

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1077728434.html

As for the why not, I think you already know that

Cheers
Anton

steve

Nathan Mercer wrote:

> Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?

No

> And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
of those if you don't have a phone account.

But I'm sure they could provide a "virtual" phone number if they wanted to.

Enkidu

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:06:10 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?

>No
>
>> And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

>No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
>copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
>at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
>of those if you don't have a phone account.

ADSL and phones are two seperate systems. They share the same
infrastructure, but that is all.

Cheers,

Cliff.

steve

Enkidu wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:06:10 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?

>>No
>>
>>> And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

>>No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
>>copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
>>at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
>>of those if you don't have a phone account.
>>

> ADSL and phones are two seperate systems. They share the same
> infrastructure, but that is all.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff.

If you call Paradise and ask to have an ADSL account created for your
ADSL-enabled Telecom phone line.....they will ask you for your telephone
number.

If I call TelstraClear and ask for an ADSL account.....I think I still need
a Telecom phone line........the TelstraClear phone line won't do......

So it may be 'separate' infrastructure......but it's all Telecom. So the
issue of separation may be more semantic than real.

Mainlander

In article <ihA2c.34670$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Enkidu wrote:

> >>No

> >>No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
> >>copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
> >>at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
> >>of those if you don't have a phone account.
> >>

> > ADSL and phones are two seperate systems. They share the same
> > infrastructure, but that is all.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Cliff.

> If you call Paradise and ask to have an ADSL account created for your
> ADSL-enabled Telecom phone line.....they will ask you for your telephone
> number.
>
> If I call TelstraClear and ask for an ADSL account.....I think I still need
> a Telecom phone line........the TelstraClear phone line won't do......

But you can do Telstra cable service over your Telstra line - why do you
need Telecom ADSL?